Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

Relin posted:

this font looks like poo poo on my laptop and not on my desktop (well it still looks bad but not all...lumpy) when they both have basic firefox installed

what have you done lowtax :(
You could have stopped after the fifth word imo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

I'll post my Stylebot CSS overrides if anyone wants them. Verdana forever. Also rolls back other stuff I don't like.

Fearless_Decoy
Sep 27, 2001

You shall all soon witness the power of my Tragic 8-Ball!

Obsurveyor posted:

I'll post my Stylebot CSS overrides if anyone wants them. Verdana forever. Also rolls back other stuff I don't like.
I'd love that, though I like all the other changes so far aside from the one silly font change.

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Fearless_Decoy posted:

I'd love that, though I like all the other changes so far aside from the one silly font change.

this one works and only changes the font back
https://userstyles.org/styles/108256/don-t-know-but-i-tried

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

please make snap itc version

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Fearless_Decoy posted:

http://hastebin.com/ehabosesow.css just changes the font back to Verdana.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
Garamond is the best font.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

DONT DO IT!!

Sammus
Nov 30, 2005

Just for a day, the rest of the forums should be forced to use Wingdings.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

gary oldmans diary posted:

if your eyes are good and the background and text are both a solid color then sub-pixel antialiasing (what cleartype is) fucks things up like crazy (ie giving solid black text colorful edges)
if you can barely or not at all make out individual pixels in your screen maybe it works for you but good eyes prefer conventional antialiasing

if you were going to render solid text over a background image or text itself having an image instead of a color over a solid background i would expect sub-pixel antialiasing to have less noticeable defects

also they do just look plain blurry like he said, undeniably smoother but blurry

and jpeg screenshots with cleartype goddamn no

dennyk posted:

All that ClearType antialiased bullshit is basically what proper text looks like if I'm not wearing my glasses and sit too far away from the screen. I don't understand how people can look at that blurry mess and call it "good". It gives me eyestrain.

Edit: drat, I disabled all my greasemonkey scripts and Adblock filters on this thread and it's got that horrible new font that's popping up everywhere where half the letters show up as bold and half look normal but really loving ugly. Is that this OpenSans crap?

Okay so this basically explains it better than I could have done. The font that's currently being used renders as blurry/smudged/fuzzy instead of pixel-perfect and it causes severe eye strain. I'm using the workaround posted above for the time being but I honestly cannot see how people would ever support this font.

Why not just add a check box to let users decide which font they want to use? This new font is legitimately unreadable. :(

edit: on my 6+ it looks fine, but when I blow up the screenshot I take of the text to a similar size on my monitor, I see the exact same blurry antialiasing. It's almost as if the font was meant for mobile but I am at a loss.

Knot My President! fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Dec 13, 2014

somethingawful bf
Jun 17, 2005

Ratjaculation posted:

please make snap itc version

oh, I didn't make it, I got it from here
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3665319&pagenumber=14&perpage=40#post438889578

Fearless_Decoy
Sep 27, 2001

You shall all soon witness the power of my Tragic 8-Ball!

Obsurveyor posted:

http://hastebin.com/ehabosesow.css just changes the font back to Verdana.

Thank you both.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
comic sans

Think Thin!
Sep 17, 2006
looks p. good

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Much better. Could stand to be a bit wider, but much improved from the Open Sans.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

bring back open sans this is loving poo poo

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014

Stux posted:

bring back open sans this is loving poo poo

lol

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I like the font taxman, but the constant change is daunting. Please provide warnings in future.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Ratjaculation posted:

I like the font taxman, but the constant change is daunting. Please provide warnings in future.

Please file all change forms in triplicate with the appropriate departments, and provide at least one month notice so all changes can be reviewed and commented on by the affected parties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014
Glad to see a font has finally been settled on.

• Locked thread