Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
I'm looking for a good solution for cloud storage between roughly 10 users and two offices.

Currently, the company is using a free dropbox account with a single account that is spread across every computer. This is concerning for a number of reasons, as the marketing staff can see admin folders, etc.

I was looking at Dropbox for Business, but the per user price point is a hard sell for this non-profit company as they're used to paying $0 and are trying to keep the costs down.
Also, Dropbox's paid business model provides more storage space than this company realistically requires. I doubt they'd ever require more than 10GB total.

The key feature I'm looking for is the ability to set permissions per folder. Read-only privileges for some users, read/write for the boss, no access for others. I'm not sure how to go about linking accounts together while locking them to one business.

I admit, I don't know much about cloud storage. If it were based solely in one office, I'd set up a small samba server with a cron job to Amazon S3 backup daily.

Hoping you guys can shed some light here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Are they an actual registered "non profit"?

If so, both Office 365 and Google Apps offer free subscriptions for non profits.

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009
Google drive has been good for locking down read access to folders for the company I work for (also a small business).

I think it actually comes with the google business account so it's been pretty easy to work with.

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

I'd try Alfresco as they work with non-profits and is really only a viable hosted solution for a small dataset. It may get you to try out the workflow features of a DMS which could help.

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
Upon further investigation, the company is not actually considered a non-profit as they get paid by the government to provide a free service.

I fiddled with Microsoft OneDrive today as it seemed to be the cheapest option, but it seemed to be overwhelmingly bloated.

I'm not looking for web-based integration, or bundled Office applications. I just need a simple mapped drive on the windows machine that has folders of varying levels of access per user. Dropbox for business would be ideal if it weren't so costly.

I'll take a look at Alfresco, thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

OneDrive for Business is backed by SharePoint and therefore bad.

Is Box too expensive?

• Locked thread