Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The USA as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I recall there being deserters in those countries.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Ah but the ones who didn't had no free will then.

Edit: though clones deserted too.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Arguing in bad faith about minutiae sure is fun.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
They did a whole arc on Clone Wars about a clone who deserted to marry a farmgirl and adopted her kid.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

Lurdiak posted:

Arguing in bad faith about minutiae sure is fun.

I would assume or you would have stopped posting ages ago.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

So how's ROM SPACEKNIGHT

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Huh. I doubt it will make much headway into thinkpieces, but the new IDW MASK book is apparently making Matt Trakker (the Duke to MASK's GI Joe) black.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Easy decision, no one gives a gently caress about MASK.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

WickedHate posted:

Easy decision, no one gives a gently caress about MASK.

Hey, you take tha- I can't even finish that, I know I'm the only one who cares about MASK or Visionaries. :smith:
I'm fine with the change, though. It's neat and the series was very tokenistic, so this addresses that.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
So is the whole MASK thing being set up to be tech ripped off from Triple Changers? Seems like it'd be a good fit.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Hello Licensed Thread. I'm hoping one of you is familiar enough with the properties of the upcoming IDW Revolution titles that you can make an all encompassing thread for all the titles involved. I know there's a Transformers thread so I guess it would only touch on the books that crossover there but something that covers Action Man, G.I. Joe, M.A.S.K., Micronauts, and Rom would be good. Maybe just an overview/intro to those titles and a little bit on Transformers. I think now that it's a shared universe of titles it could use its own thread.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Transformers and GI Joe worked out pretty well last time

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The MASK tie-in to the big Revolution crossover came out and it was fairly solid and works mostly as an issue #0, more than as a tie-in. There's one mention of Transformers and then Scarlett from GI Joe shows up at the end, but everything else seems pretty self-contained. Not a big fan of them making Matt Trakker a black dude and IMMEDIATELY making his back story 'troubled youth saved from jail by old white dude', though.

Could also maybe have spent more time with a smaller group and expositing about the masks and vehicles. I get that they wanted to show the core characters, with Sly Rax, Vanessa, Gloria and Brad, but throwing 8-10 characters plus redshirts at us is a lot to take in.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Micronauts and Action Man are very good and Rom is pretty good so far. I'm not reading the Transformers stuff but I really dig the rest of the IDW Hasbroverse. I'm planning on making a thread sometime this week for all those books. I want to get MASK in first though.

Action Man especially has really caught me by surprise. I love that book so far.

X-O fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Sep 28, 2016

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Is that like the "British GI Joe" Action Man who had bad guys like Dr X and Professor Gangrene?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Wheat Loaf posted:

Is that like the "British GI Joe" Action Man who had bad guys like Dr X and Professor Gangrene?

Yes. Spoiler: Action Man dies five pages into the first issue.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

So, for those of you going to NYCC next week...

quote:

BOOM! Studios is proud to announce its publishing partnership with WWE to bring the Sports Entertainment leader back to comic shops everywhere. Join us for a power hour of special insight from behind the scenes with Managing Editor Bryce Carlson, Editor Eric Harburn, Associate Editor Jasmine Amiri, and writer Dennis Hopeless. Catch a sneak preview of November's WWE: Then. Now. Forever. special, plus some surprises! Moderated by DenOfGeek.com’s Gavin Jasper.

:colbert:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

So Doink the Clown is going to trap the entire WWE roster in a death maze and kill all the popular ones?

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Lurdiak posted:

So Doink the Clown is going to trap the entire WWE roster in a death maze and kill all the popular ones?

That's not too far from the batshit final arc and graphic novel follow-up that Papercutz did with the WWE license. Though Doink was a good guy in that story, hanging out with the Gobbledeegooker, Goldust, Stardust, the Bunny and their leader Dean Ambrose.

BOOM!'s idea is to just expand on actual wrestling storylines by showing untelevised stuff to fill in the blanks. Pretty much what Lucha Underground's comic did in-between the first two seasons.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Gavok posted:

So, for those of you going to NYCC next week...

:colbert:

Congrats man, I'm not into wrestling at all, but I love to read your other comic articles and lists and poo poo.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

http://www.cbr.com/new-legend-of-korra-ogn-series-gets-title-release-date/

Legend of Korra comic is finally coming out next summer. Got the Hellcat artist on it.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

James Stokoe (Orc Stain) has an Alien comic coming out in April.
http://www.cbr.com/exclusive-james-stokoe-is-eager-to-giger-with-aliens-dead-orbit/

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Gaz-L posted:

The MASK tie-in to the big Revolution crossover came out and it was fairly solid and works mostly as an issue #0, more than as a tie-in. There's one mention of Transformers and then Scarlett from GI Joe shows up at the end, but everything else seems pretty self-contained. Not a big fan of them making Matt Trakker a black dude and IMMEDIATELY making his back story 'troubled youth saved from jail by old white dude', though.

Oh, come on! That's what happened with Kid Flash too! How does that keep happening?

This, on the other hand, hooo boy. :shepspends:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It's loving crazy that Simon Baz, a car thief arrested on suspicion of terrorism, is one of the more progressive black characters DC has written in the past 10 years.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Roth posted:

Legend of Korra comic is finally coming out next summer. Got the Hellcat artist on it.

Brittney Williams is no longer doing it, it seems. There's a new artist and her name is... Koh :tinfoil:

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Funny how these things work out.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The latest Humble Book Bundle is a bunch of Transformers comics.

Roth posted:

Sounds like they're going to be going more into the Korra/Asami relationship.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Holy crap, I didn't realize how nostalgic I was for the Power Rangers until I read Boom's comics.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://www.humblebundle.com/books/transformers-revolution-comic-book-bundle

So seeing as this is kind of all over the place, does anyone have a read order?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
RID and just regular Transformers are just the same book with a different name because of branding issues. It and MTMTE run concurrently. Windblade jumps in around the Dark Cybertron arc, and then becomes an ongoing around the Combiner Wars event.

The 2 Transformers miniseries that are in single issues occur before either main title.

GI Joe/Transformers and GI Joe/Street Fighter are standalone.

Someone else want to handle the GI Joe stuff? (The Revolution, ROM and Action Man stuff is all pretty recent)

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Justice League/Power Rangers from Tom Taylor and Stephen Byrne
http://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/10/14/justice-leaguemighty-morphin-power-rangers-confirmed-for-january-2017/

quote:

DC, BOOM! STUDIOS AND SABAN BRANDS ANNOUNCE JUSTICE LEAGUE/MIGHTY MORPHIN POWER RANGERS!

Angel Grove’s Teenagers with Attitude Encounter DC’s Most Popular Super Heroes in January Crossover Miniseries Variant Cover Program to Pair Power Rangers with Different Justice League Members

BURBANK, CA (October 14, 2016) – On January 11, two of comics’ greatest teams will combine their powers and abilities for the first time! The Justice League—Batman, Superman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern John Stewart, the Flash and Cyborg—meet Saban’s Mighty Morphin Power Rangers in a six-issue monthly miniseries from New York Timesbest-selling writer Tom Taylor (INJUSTICE: GODS AMONG US, GREEN LANTERN CORPS: EDGE OF OBLIVION) and artist Stephen Byrne (JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA REBIRTH: THE RAY).

“DC and BOOM! Studios teaming up on this crossover is a dream come true for fans of Saban’s Mighty Morphin Power Rangers and the Justice League,” said Hank Kanalz, Senior Vice President, Editorial Strategy and Administration, DC Entertainment. “Stories like this are a great way to have that ‘what if’ itch scratched, combining favorite characters from different publishers in epic adventures.”

Something terrible has happened in Angel Grove when the Power Rangers’ Command Center is breached and the teleporters are damaged! Zack the Black Ranger is flung into an alternate universe full of citizens possessing outrageous powers and wearing strange costumes. Will Jason the Red Ranger, Trini the Yellow Ranger, Kimberly the Pink Ranger, Billy the Blue Ranger and Tommy the Green Ranger be able to get to Zack in time to save him from Batman?

“Everyone at BOOM! is thrilled to be part of an event of this magnitude,” said BOOM! Studios Editor-in-Chief Matt Gagnon. “We have iconic characters meeting for the first time that are beloved the world over! Our imaginations have been racing since the moment this kicked off with our friends at DC and Saban Brands. Get ready…this is one event that’s not to be missed.”

In addition to the standard covers drawn by Karl Kerschl (GOTHAM ACADEMY: SECOND SEMESTER), each issue will feature a variant cover drawn by one of comics’ most popular artists, pairing each member of the League with a different Power Ranger:

Batman/Pink Ranger by Dan Hipp
Cyborg/Blue Ranger by Dustin Nguyen
The Flash/Black Ranger by Yasmine Putri
Green Lantern John Stewart/Yellow Ranger by Marguerite Sauvage
Superman/Green Ranger by Chris Sprouse
Wonder Woman/Red Ranger by Marcus To

“With their talented roster of writers and artists, DC and BOOM! Studios bring to life the world’s greatest superheroes, including the iconic Power Rangers,“ said Janet Hsu, CEO at Saban Brands. “With DC, BOOM! Studios and Saban Brands partnering, we will bring fans a legendary crossover that will stand the test of time, just as these historical superheroes have done individually for decades.”

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Tommy Boy, I enjoy your Marvel work, but hot drat welcome back to DC projects!

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

I got a new article up on the history of Halloween/Michael Myers comics.

Not as fun or eclectic as the Freddy and Jason stuff, unfortunately, partially because it was a total of two writers across twelve issues and a prose story with art. That and the second writer has a huge boner for Michael and hits me as a guy who watched the first movie thinking, "That was pretty good, but it would have been better if he killed Laurie. And Dr. Loomis. Those two kids and the sheriff too. Maybe six more victims for the hell of it."

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

Gavok posted:

I got a new article up on the history of Halloween/Michael Myers comics.

Not as fun or eclectic as the Freddy and Jason stuff, unfortunately, partially because it was a total of two writers across twelve issues and a prose story with art. That and the second writer has a huge boner for Michael and hits me as a guy who watched the first movie thinking, "That was pretty good, but it would have been better if he killed Laurie. And Dr. Loomis. Those two kids and the sheriff too. Maybe six more victims for the hell of it."

Nice! I'm a huge fan of Halloween, but I've only read Nightdance. I've wanted to read the Chaos Comics ones, but then again, I really liked 4-6 and hated H20, but at the same time I don't want to cut H20 out of continuity or anything. I've always wanted to see a melding of the two continuities.

wyntyr
Mar 27, 2006
This seems like the place to discuss this: a GWAR comic is coming via Kickstarter.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mattminer/gwar-orgasmageddon-the-scumdogs-conquer-comics

Full disclosure, the artist is a close friend, but it looks like it's going to kick rear end, and he's worked with this writer before on some comics that turned out great.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
So this just got announced:

Star Trek: The Next Generation/Aliens

Edit: vv Well, yeah? IDW has the Trek license. Dark Horse has the Alien license.

catlord fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Oct 28, 2016

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Without clicking that, I know IDW is publishing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

...tooth?

Just want to point out that next week's WWE: Then, Now, Forever comic features a backup story of Tugboat wrestling Earthquake drawn in the style of a Popeye cartoon and it's my everything.

• Locked thread