Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Are regular supernatural dramas like Grimm, Constantine, and Supernatural too realistic for you? No worries, I have the solution.

Lost Girl covers the story of Bo, a succubus who spent her entire life not knowing what she was or what she could do until a fateful encounter in season 1 with the 1000 year old werewolf detective Dyson

Dyson helped introduce her into the bizarre and complex world of the Fae, supernatural beings who have warred for centuries and currently enjoy a fragile peace between the Dark and the Light. Bo breaks tradition when being forced to confront a challenge given to all Fae at a certain age that makes them choose one side or the other permanently by saving the life of her best human friend Kenzi and being allowed to become the first 'neutral' Fae.

This unexpected turn of events makes Bo a hot topic among the Fae, and over the first 4 seasons the show slowly turned from "Bo gets hired by the Light/Dark to investigate stuff as a neutral party" to "centuries long mysteries threaten to bring about the end of the world and Bo is at the heart of it."

The cast is rounded out by quite a few colorful characters including

Hale and his abs, a police detective and partner of Dyson's. Died last season.

Trick, a charming, fatherly bartender at a neutral Fae bar who has a mysterious past He is the Blood King, the one responsible for ending the Fae wars and basically the retired Fae Dumbledore

Vex, a kooky dark Fae with the rare powers of mind control. Mostly a funny/weird character who either does bad things to people while laughing or just being comedic relief.

Tamsin, a Dark Fae Valkyrie who literally takes peoples souls to the afterlife and seems to play a pretty big role this season.

You may have noticed a theme in the pictures. That's deliberate, because this show wholly embraces its sleezy soap drama factor and goes all into. After 4 seasons, there are still quite a few unanswered questions that stretch back to season 1/2, but the overall plot isn't the reason people watch this show, is for the pure, unadulterated cheese that the writers revel in. For example

Not pictured, the bottom half of his torso which is a giant snake body.

Anyone new or returning to the show, there is a an exhaustive fan wiki that covers literally every detail about the show and each episode if you want to get caught up or are just generally confused. Seasons 1-4 are up on Netflix as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Kenzi in those dresses in the premiere, holy gently caress. Girl got some legs on her.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Built for comfort and speed!
Fallen Rib
The spiritual successor to Xena: Warrior Princess. I love this show.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Well that wasn't as batshit Crazy as last season.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I hate watched the first three seasons of this show on Netflix when I had a kidney stone. Now that I know Hale is dead, I'm finally free.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gaunab posted:

I hate watched the first three seasons of this show on Netflix when I had a kidney stone. Now that I know Hale is dead, I'm finally free.

But is he... remains to be seen.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib
That was a pretty tightly written and suspenseful opener. Let's hope they took on board criticism of last season! They have hand-waved the Big Bad / Big Destiny thing a bit but who can blame them?

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Well, that was a pretty good episode. Bo and Tamsin make an absolutely hilarious team.

The Japanese Fae were a nice touch. It seemed more like an excuse to dress Tamsin up in a Kill Bill style outfit thought.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I watched the first two seasons of this and liked it, but I kind of lost the plot - it's still hot people in not very much clothing, but can I jump into season 5 and not be confused?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
not a chance.... it's pretty meta unless you just want Kenzi and side boob

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

angerbot posted:

I watched the first two seasons of this and liked it, but I kind of lost the plot - it's still hot people in not very much clothing, but can I jump into season 5 and not be confused?

Probably. Or at least, no more confused than you would be if you'd watched up to this point since the end of last season was a whole bunch of bullshit that didn't make much sense.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
All you need to know is that Bo's father is some evil dark entity, and that was revealed back in season 2 I think. Season 4 was a mess for the most part and I honestly think I writers had no idea where they were going because there was so much random stuff going on and mysteries upon mysteries heaped on each other that the entire meta-plot barely advanced at all.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

I still can't stand Lauren.

Bedlam
Feb 15, 2008

Angry thoughts

I remember watching this show a year or two ago and wondering why they are so broke and destitute all the time but still wear designer clothes. All of them. Everybody.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Bedlam posted:

I remember watching this show a year or two ago and wondering why they are so broke and destitute all the time but still wear designer clothes. All of them. Everybody.

Fae stuff. Bo probably just seduces people working in couture stores and leaves with full wardrobes.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I've seen the first two seasons and loved them as cheesy guilty pleasure viewing. I remember a week after the first season ended going to see Black Swan and being surprised to see Kenzi playing one of the ballerinas there. Maybe I'll get back into the show since the later seasons are on Netflix now.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

The third fourth season is horrible, but this seasons been better so far.

KilGrey fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Jan 12, 2015

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
They've been on fire with the hilarious b-plots this season.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib
Getting strong distaff counterpart vibes going on here! Did anyone notice how the oracle's date spelled his screen name? And the little lightening bolts? I'm really intrigued this season!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

tessiebee posted:

Getting strong distaff counterpart vibes going on here!

Yeah, I'm hoping we get more of Dyson and Vex investigating stuff. Or just more of Vex doing anything, really.

Strabo4
Jun 1, 2007

Oh god, I'm 'sperging all
over this thread too!

Didn't know it was back! Glad to hear that they've made some changes, season 4 was such a clusterfuck of bullshit that I'd almost written the show off entirely. Since the end of True Blood I gotta have something to scratch that supernatural-guilty-pleasure itch.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Strabo4 posted:

Didn't know it was back! Glad to hear that they've made some changes, season 4 was such a clusterfuck of bullshit that I'd almost written the show off entirely. Since the end of True Blood I gotta have something to scratch that supernatural-guilty-pleasure itch.

They fixed the hot mess that was season 4 and now the show is 70% fun, 20% drama, and 10% batshit insanity.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Tamsin's new college girl attitude has really saved the show. She looks pretty drat hot as a cheerleader too

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Rocksicles posted:

Tamsin's new college girl attitude has really saved the show. She looks pretty drat hot as a cheerleader too

I hate to say it but I actually prefer Kenzie gone. Her twee valley girl constant slang got grating, especially when her entire character became her stealing from everyone around her to pay for her special fae dust. Once Hale died Kenzie's character was just sad and boring.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

pentyne posted:

I hate to say it but I actually prefer Kenzie gone. Her twee valley girl constant slang got grating, especially when her entire character became her stealing from everyone around her to pay for her special fae dust. Once Hale died Kenzie's character was just sad and boring.

You know, I used to not be able to imagine the show without Kenzi but I hardly noticed her absence the last two episodes.

And Bo sleeping in the box cracked me up. I also still laugh when I think about : "Eat a bag of tits! That way I won't have to hear your voice because your mouth will be full of tits!" It hit my juvenile funny bone in exactly the right spot to make me giggle like a loon.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

pentyne posted:

So what you're saying is, season four sucked? I think she'd have been fine if she was in this season. Though Tamsin's filling the sidekick role fine too.

Tooter
Nov 12, 2003

KilGrey posted:

You know, I used to not be able to imagine the show without Kenzi but I hardly noticed her absence the last two episodes.

And Bo sleeping in the box cracked me up. I also still laugh when I think about : "Eat a bag of tits! That way I won't have to hear your voice because your mouth will be full of tits!" It hit my juvenile funny bone in exactly the right spot to make me giggle like a loon.

Give me a D. Give me a Y. Give me a suck my balls.

I miss Kinzie but Tamsin is doing just fine. Already better than last season

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

I'm starting to think this season is going to go the same way as the last one: dumb and nonsensical. This latest episode with all flipping back and forth (the ancients are evil, no wait they're good, actually evil still, or maybe good? Iris is good, no Iris is evil, or maybe she's good but is being made to do evil things? Hades is evil, or maybe Hades is good, or maybe he's the lesser of two evils?) and the way they've written Tamsin in the last two episodes are not filling me with hope for the second half of the season.

Sloth Life
Nov 15, 2014

Fallen Rib
I've really enjoyed this run of episodes so far! The enemies power levels have been rather inconsistent which has been a bit of a shame but LG has a history with powerful enemies not actually acting powerfully. I honestly think this season has been leagues ahead of the last and we seem to finally be getting somewhere with Bo's heritage. I was nicely thrown by the last episodes reveal, I had all sorts of theories for the youngest but not that.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
If Tamsin's dead, i'm done.

I'm tipping she'll come back evil or reborn with all her lives.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
I'd love for Hades to roll up and actually be a decent guy. "Hey, sorry about all that death and destruction business back in primitive times. Now I just want to chill and enjoy the luxuries of modern society and oh yeah let me take care of these other ancient assholes trying for a power grab. Hey Bo, when are you gonna give me some grandkids?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

tessiebee posted:

The enemies power levels have been rather inconsistent
This last episode was incredibly bad about that. Zeus was this super-powerful, unstoppable threat to everything, but then at the end Bo easily gets the jack-in-a-box from her and kicks her out of the house, and she's just stuck outside the door going "No, don't do that!"

Rocksicles posted:

If Tamsin's dead, i'm done.

I'm tipping she'll come back evil or reborn with all her lives.
I'm guessing she's been made human or in some other way de-powered, because the last thing that happened before she was struck was her saying "I can fly." and Zeus saying "Not any more." That'll provide an excuse for her to stick around and try to get along with Lauren, because she'll want someone to help her get her powers back.

pentyne posted:

I'd love for Hades to roll up and actually be a decent guy. "Hey, sorry about all that death and destruction business back in primitive times. Now I just want to chill and enjoy the luxuries of modern society and oh yeah let me take care of these other ancient assholes trying for a power grab. Hey Bo, when are you gonna give me some grandkids?"
As long as it's not a repeat of last season, where "the wanderer" was played up as this major threat, but then he shows up and is just some guy, then he dies.

• Locked thread