Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rt_hat
Aug 3, 2003
YARRRR
I live in East Coast Canada, and I find doing outdoor stuff all year round helpful. I bicycle (4+ hours a week), when the roads get icey, I run (~10k, 2-3 times a week) and go for frequent walks. I'm of south Asian descent so it's not like my immediate ancestors grew up in this climate.

I think doing stuff outdoors helps me get acclimatized. I don't usually need as heavy clothing as my other friends. It does take me a few minutes outside to get used to the cold, and the only other thing I need to worry about is frost bite, so I make sure I don't have much exposed skin when the wind chill gets bad.

My friends run from their house to their car, from their car to the office/mall/grocery store/etc. They bundle up and they have to keep the thermostat at 22+ Celcius. They don't really do much outside when the winter comes and don't do much physical activity when the summer comes. They find the temperature uncomfortable in Summer and Winter - only during that brief transition in the Fall and Spring is okay.

Do more stuff outdoors, the first 5-10 minutes might be a bit cold, but as long as you're moving, you should be okay. Gradually increase your exposure and you'll adapt to it over time. Just make sure you ease into it. Don't go for marathons out in the cold if you've never done it before, just gradually increase your exposure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

rt_hat posted:

I live in East Coast Canada, and I find doing outdoor stuff all year round helpful. I bicycle (4+ hours a week), when the roads get icey, I run (~10k, 2-3 times a week) and go for frequent walks. I'm of south Asian descent so it's not like my immediate ancestors grew up in this climate.

I think doing stuff outdoors helps me get acclimatized. I don't usually need as heavy clothing as my other friends. It does take me a few minutes outside to get used to the cold, and the only other thing I need to worry about is frost bite, so I make sure I don't have much exposed skin when the wind chill gets bad.

My friends run from their house to their car, from their car to the office/mall/grocery store/etc. They bundle up and they have to keep the thermostat at 22+ Celcius. They don't really do much outside when the winter comes and don't do much physical activity when the summer comes. They find the temperature uncomfortable in Summer and Winter - only during that brief transition in the Fall and Spring is okay.

Do more stuff outdoors, the first 5-10 minutes might be a bit cold, but as long as you're moving, you should be okay. Gradually increase your exposure and you'll adapt to it over time. Just make sure you ease into it. Don't go for marathons out in the cold if you've never done it before, just gradually increase your exposure.

Based on my lack of hot weather tolerance, I think there are limits to how effective this can be. My apartment gets up to 26-27 degrees in the summer, and I find it as uncomfortable at the end of summer as I do at the beginning. I work from home as well, so it's not like I'm used to being at an office with air conditioning or anything.

On the other hand, I don't find it much worse when it's even hotter -- whether it's 27 degrees or 34 degrees, I'm hot and sweaty and thus uncomfortable. Frankly, the sweating is the worst part -- I either have to change shirts and shower two or three times a day, or just make peace with having giant sweat stains on my shirt all the time. Perhaps I'm naturally just a very sweaty person -- I do pretty much "rain" when I exercise.

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Colonel J posted:

This is awesome! Did you start going barefoot in full blown winter or in like september and had the full fall season to get acclimatized? Did you do anything special to get your hands adapted too?

I started in summer/fall and just didn't wear shoes for short walks or working outside. I don't think it would work to go from shoes straight to standing in the snow. You have to build up the callouses and the new blood flow. By default, when you're cold, your body shuts off blood from the extremities so you have to re-program that behavior.

• Locked thread