Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...
So at some point in my life, I was thinking of running an Essentials game; consider this thread an "interest check."
I don't really have a particular plot or adventure in mind, but I'd be willing to try and incorporate suggestions or requests for those as well as for game rule changes.

As you probably know, limiting character options to only Essentials books can be quite narrow, so I'm adding a bunch of hacks and houserules to add some flexibility, and also buff a few classes.

Feel free to post your horribly abusive and broken characters that result directly from me tweaking the rules! :haw:
Here's a character sheet!

:getin:

Books Allowed: (for races/classes*/powers/themes/feats/items, everything)
Heroes of the Fallen Lands
Heroes of the Forgotten Kingdoms
Heroes of the Elemental Chaos
Heroes of the Feywild
Heroes of Shadow

*technically Monks aren't a class in these books, but there are Monk powers in "Elemental Chaos," so if you wanna play a monk, you can build it using those powers.

Power Sources
When you would gain a power, you can choose to gain any power of the same type (AEDU) of your level or lower, if it has the keyword for the power source(s) of your class. You can mix and match powers across domains/virtues/vices/pacts, etc. and you can change any powers that would be "auto-picked" for you, in this manner. If your class has the Psionic or Shadow power source, you can gain powers that have either the Psionic or Shadow keyword.

Primal Classes
(Druids, Rangers, Barbarians)
When you make a melee weapon attack, you can use STR, CON, or WIS in place of the default modifier for the attack and damage rolls.
You can use your INT modifier in place of your CHA modifier for any CHA checks.

Martial Classes
(Assassins, Rogues, Rangers, Fighters, Bards, Barbarians)
When you make a melee weapon attack with a light blade or a ranged weapon attack, you can use STR or DEX in place of the default modifier for the attack and damage rolls.
You can use your STR modifier in place of your CON modifier for CON checks.

Divine Classes
(Paladins, Clerics)
When you make a melee weapon or implement attack, you can use STR, WIS, or CHA in place of the default modifier for the attack and damage rolls.
You can use your CHA modifier in place of your WIS modifier for Heal, Insight and Perception checks.

Class Skills
You can train any skills you want; your class skill list provides the following benefits:
You can use a +3 in place of the default ability modifier for any untrained class skills.
You can use your WIS or INT modifier in place of the default modifier for any Knowledge skills on your class skill list.

Additional Skill Changes
If your class grants you an automatic trained skill, you can instead train an additional skill of your choice; if your class would grant you less than 4 trained skills, including this change, increase it to 4 trained skills.
Ignore any skill training requirements on powers.
You can use your CON modifier in place of the default modifier for Athletics and Heal checks.

Math Fixes
Modified Inherent Bonuses:
The ENH bonus progression from the Essentials magic armor tables will be used for AC, NADs, Attack, and Damage.

Bonus Feats:
Improved Defenses
Expertise Feat (2)
Disciple Feat (1)

Backgrounds: off

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread