Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Oh my, easiest LYLO ever! ##vote YPM

Let's win this one for Amoeba, Ernie!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Ernie. posted:

woah my second lylo in a couple of days crazy stuff

well, i am confirmed town, you both case each other and then i will vote ypm

a good plan

My case is it isn't me and it can't be you and YPM has been an empty vessel who was the only one to never vote AV so...

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

i am convinced

##vote ypm

hal, if it is you, excellently played!

:redhammer:

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZkrVlhQYPn8

They call it paradise I don't know why

A room full of noise and dangerous boys

They didn't see the stop sign, took a turn for the worse

We are all just prisoners here, of our own device

Oh, my God, you can't believe it's happening again

Tell me your secrets, I'll tell you mine

My, but we learn so slow

And the storybook comes to a close

Right or wrong, what's done is done

We satisfy our endless needs and justify our bloody deeds

And it looks like the end.

They will never forget you 'til somebody new comes along

Vanilla Town Your Personal Muse (Joni Mitchell) has been lynched day six.

quote:

Welcome, Your Personal Muse, you are Joni Mitchell, a Vanilla Town singer-songwriter. First making a name for yourself in folk music and poetry in the late 60s, you've since found an interest in jazz music and fusing it with pop and folk music. A number of hits followed through the first half of the seventies. Currently (1976) you're cutting records with jazz bass genius Jaco Pastorius which confuse a lot of people, but down the line they'll figure out how amazing they are. In a few months, you'll show up at The Band's final live performance, The Last Waltz. However, this has no in-game effect. Other musicians you have recorded with may appear in this game, but this is no indication of alignment, they may be town or scum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cz0RUWBzQJ4

Abilities:

Your weapon is your vote, you have no night actions.

Win condition:

You win when all threats to the town have been eliminated and there is at least one town player alive.

Hotel California has been completed.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

I will never believe you again, Hal!!

votefinder
Jul 6, 2010

scoop scoop
:redhammer: I say, chap, that appears to be the crimson mallet for Your Personal Muse.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

quote:

Welcome, Ernie., you are Lindsey Buckingham, a Town Doctor. You are the guitarist and one of three lead vocalists for Fleetwood Mac. You're a fairly recent addition to the band, but the collaboration between the earlier Mac lineup and Buckingham-Nicks has really paid off. Your last record was massive. Currently (1976) you're in the middle of a messy breakup from your romantic partner and co-songwriter Stevie Nicks and a messy recording session for "Rumours," which will eventually sell more copies than there are people to listen to them. In the distant future of 2013, you'll end up on a Nine Inch Nails record. Why? How? Who knows. However, this has no in-game effect. Other musicians you have recorded with may appear in this game, but this is no indication of alignment, they may be town or scum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GN2kpBoFs4

Abilities:

Each night phase, you may protect one player in the game from one nightkill. You may not protect the same player two nights in a row.

Win condition:

You win when all threats to the town have been eliminated and there is at least one town player alive.

quote:

Welcome, Hal Incandenza. You are a Mafia Roleblocker.

Your Cover Story is that you are James Taylor, singer-songwriter par excellence. Your breakthrough recording came out in 1970, the soft-rock smash "Fire and Rain," and you've had varying levels of success since. Currently (1976) you've just released your star-studded-yet-disappointing seventh record, "In the Pocket", which features guest appearances by Stevie Wonder, Art Garfunkel, Carly Simon, David Crosby, Linda Ronstadt, Bonnie Raitt, and basically everyone else who's ever picked up an instrument in a California recording studio. However, you're about to get your poo poo together, do another record next year, and it'll go triple-platinum. However, this has no in-game effect. Other musicians you have recorded with may appear in this game, but this is no indication of alignment, they may be town or scum.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXmgkvIgc0w

You are actually Don Henley, who is an Eagle. You're an original member of the group, playing drums and singing lead on a number of major hits, including "Desperado", "One of These Nights", and "Witchy Woman." You've co-written nearly every hit the group has had with Glenn Frey and the other Eagles. You're something of a weird, preachy type, one of the first rock stars of your ilk to have concerns and support issues, and you usually take the lead on sad-bastard ballads. Currently (1976) you've dove headlong into the cocaine nightmare that is recording "Hotel California." You've locked the studio doors. No-one gets out until this thing is done.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETx_vYePz5w

Abilities:

Roleblock: Each night phase, you individually may perform a roleblock on another player in the game. You cannot block and kill in the same night.

Win condition:

You win when the Mafia obtain a majority or nothing can prevent this from occurring.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Ernie. posted:

Hal: Honestly, and I didn't voice this yesterday, I thought to myself that it's likely fv and Hal are scum together because their play was very decisive and seemingly helpful but peripheral and blending-in. I just had this odd thought that their play was complementing each other well.

ughhghghhgh

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

From, like, night one:

So, I noticed there were a couple people who weren't quite sure why the Eagles were chosen as the villains in this bizarre little drama, and upon reflection, I realized how intensely American a phenomenon this was. Sure, they once appeared on the BBC in, say, `72 or so, touring behind their intensely underperforming second record, but they never showed up on Top of the Pops or the Whistle Test, never on Rockpalast or Musikladen. I apologize in advance---this is what I self-deprecatingly tend to term "whiteboard mode" when I'm talking about pop history.

Though by some measures, the Eagles' "Greatest Hits Vol. 1 (1971-75)" is the biggest-selling album of all time*, they had only one top-ten single in the UK (#8 with "Hotel California"), nothing better than #13 in Australia (1979's "Heartache Tonight"), and a few top tens in New Zealand, the Netherlands, and Norway (the best being #3 in NZ on the back of 1975's "One of These Nights.) They sold millions of LP records, but the Eagles appear to be a curiosity for most of the world, never scoring a #1 single outside of North America. Thus, in the grand scheme of things, it's reasonable to see how or why this seemingly-innocuous band would not seem as resonant an influence on the fabric of pop culture outside of America. In short, while people bought the records outside of the US, as a phenomenon the Eagles are as much singularly derived from and relating to the American experience as, say, Madchester is singularly English.

There has always been a love-hate relationship in America with the Eagles. In the wake of the singer-songwriter explosion of the early 70s in LA's Laurel Canyon, to industry insiders, the good-time Eagles came off as slick hucksters**. Too country to rock, too rock-and-roll to be country, driving from country pastiches on their early records into something akin to white funk come 1975, serious music writers struggled to figure them out, but the records literally flew off the shelves across the nation. One listener's pop perfection is another's banal pabulum, and with sales this huge, you can only begin to imagine the heights of fervor and depths of loathing the group inspired.

In a larger cultural sense, there was more. The starry-eyed idealism of the late sixties, realized in Woodstock and put into intensive care in Altamont, was in full retreat. The counter-counterculture had risen. This new wave of LA songwriters (after an intermediate phase of early-70s recordings such as Neil Young's "Harvest" and Joni Mitchell's "Blue") was introspective and self-indulgent but just as hedonistic as its predecessors. But the drugs of choice were now cocaine, money and power. By the time the game is set, 1976, the group is basically at the height of its powers, the apotheosis of LA's growing cynicism and nihilism.

When the group broke up in 1980, their legacy became one of childish backbiting, unending feuds, and extensive drug abuse. Henley and Frey hated each other and called each other out on stage. They had had to replace several members over the years, usually from being unable to stand the others in the group. They reunited 14 years later and have toured regularly since, the first big nostalgia-driven reunion of the 1990s. Entitled "Hell Freezes Over," it was seen by many as a gigantic sell-out cash-grab.

As opposed to such other huge-selling artists such as Michael Jackson, Elvis, or The Beatles, the Eagles never completely appeared heroic in the public eye. As a group, they symbolized the rock establishment. As solo artists in the 80s, Henley and Frey symbolized even bigger record deals. Later, they simply trotted out the hits for $80 a ticket. Not until 2007 did they bother to record any new material, not counting the four fairly-thin songs that opened the "Hell Freezes Over" live CD. The first single from that 2007 record? "Seven Bridges Road," first recorded and released by the group on their 1980 post-breakup "Eagles Live" record. Unlike most of the heroes of pop music, the Eagles never seemed to dare, to take a risk. They knew what people wanted, and they delivered. And by specifically and openly choosing commerce over art, they remain villains.

* Wikipedia has this particular record as the fourth-biggest seller of all time behind "Thriller", "The Dark Side of the Moon", and Whitney Houston's soundtrack to the film "The Bodyguard", with a lot of incredibly ridiculous whining about units sold vs. units shipped vs. units reported sold and/or shipped and poor reporting practices...it's barely interesting reading to me, and I care enough about the subject to be writing this.

** A phrase I could have sworn I stole from Robert Christgau, but I apparently did not.

A few pieces I've read/seen that can help flesh out the story, if you need more:

Robert Christgau - Trying to Understand the Eagles (1972)
BBC Four - Hotel California: LA From the Byrds to the Eagles (2007)
Bill Simmons - The Eagles' Greatest Hit (2013)

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude
Shoulda trusted one day ago Ernie, he was right about me.

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

Your Personal Muse posted:

Shoulda trusted one day ago Ernie, he was right about me.

i honestly suspected it was hal all along, and kept asking myself if you'd play such an effortless game as scum, but it made sense in my head because i am dumb and also hal appealed to emotion and i am way too easily a sucker for that :(

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

So! I am pleased that the game did not completely run aground on the holiday, and I definitely want to thank everyone for playing and/or helping, in bowmore's case. I had a grand time.

Also thanks to hiip, MMM and Asiina for covering dumb questions I had over skype.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
This was the most frustrating game ever to read.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I was such hot garbage in this game, I'm amazed that my wounded-bird gambit managed to keep me alive long enough for Hal to do good work. Excellent play, Hal!

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

mr.capps posted:

This was the most frustrating game ever to read.

next time don't die

okay solid plan

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

So, realtalk: Anyone got notes for me? I know some poo poo was rough, since this was my first time through, but, I dunno. Anything you'd want changed for a later game?

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.
Yay Hal!
Sorry to my scum buds for being so completely useless.

I actually stopped posting because I was away for work and couldn't, not because of alignment, but nice shot anyway Amoeba.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Also the SALR plugin made this thread so easy to read as mod, I recommend it:

death cob for cutie
Dec 30, 2006

dwarves won't delve no more
too much splatting down on Zot:4
I Approved of this Game.

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.
And nice job modding Allen. All the effort you put into the flavour was great.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
ERNIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Well done scum

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Ernie. posted:

I will never believe you again, Hal!!

:wotwot:

Sorry buddy

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Allen Wren posted:

So, realtalk: Anyone got notes for me? I know some poo poo was rough, since this was my first time through, but, I dunno. Anything you'd want changed for a later game?

I just want to say that your Eagles write up there at the end was incredible. Excellent writing!

Also Joe Walsh is cool

Your Personal Muse
Oct 5, 2010

what a cool dude

Ernie. posted:

i honestly suspected it was hal all along, and kept asking myself if you'd play such an effortless game as scum, but it made sense in my head because i am dumb and also hal appealed to emotion and i am way too easily a sucker for that :(

Ernie I'm not good at mafia why would I play a good scum game come on

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i could be describe as livid about this game

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Hal, I would have let you win.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

mr.capps posted:

i could be describe as livid about this game

I myself am rather pleased with this game

Amoeba102 posted:

Hal, I would have let you win.

I was trying to figure out a scenario where we were the only 2 alive so it could be a tie but there was no way to get rid of Ernie once AV was dead. Sorry man, I wanted you to win too, I thought you played well and claiming the vig was a bold move.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

You should have killed YPM! :argh:

But it was a good game. Good job everyone, especially Allen.

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Amoeba102 posted:

You should have killed YPM! :argh:

But it was a good game. Good job everyone, especially Allen.

I thought about that (I wasn't 100% sure you would kill Somber though) but with you me and Ernie left, it seems like either we no-cuddle and Ernie wins on the assumption we kill each other (and assuming Ernie can self protect forever) or I get cuddled and you and Ernie tie I suppose?

Unless we could have all agreed to no-lynch withhold kills every night and call it a three-way tie which would have been awesome and how I wish it had ended :argh:

Lindsey Buckingham, Joni Mitchell and James Taylor (gently caress Don Henley) today announced the formation of their new band "Folk Rock" and their first single I've Seen Fleetwoods and Clouds is playing on radio stations all over America (and Canada.)

Ernie.
Aug 31, 2012

I kinda hid the fact that I couldn't target the same person twice in a row.

The only reason I could do it is because I was roleblocked the first time. :X

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Ernie. posted:

I kinda hid the fact that I couldn't target the same person twice in a row.

The only reason I could do it is because I was roleblocked the first time. :X

The wikipage for that setup wasn't really very clear about restrictions so I just assumed the worst.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

Oh man, now I'm supposed to write up my own game.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Hal Incandenza posted:

The wikipage for that setup wasn't really very clear about restrictions so I just assumed the worst.

Yeah, it was pretty bare-bones. I made sure to add a few of my own clarifications based on what I knew of the local meta and what I wanted to see in the game, such as preventing the doctor from following.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I kinda regret playing around now on d2 ohhhhhh wellllll!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hal Incandenza
Feb 12, 2004

Rascyc posted:

I kinda regret playing around now on d2 ohhhhhh wellllll!

I knew I had blocked you and I was like whaaaaa he's just loving around!

• Locked thread