Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?

left to right: Sexy Blind Justice, Judge John Hodgman, Bailiff Jesse Thorn

Judge John Hodgman is a weekly, comedic court show podcast hosted by humorist John Hodgman and distributed online by Maximum Fun. It began in 2010 and is my favorite podcast that isn't just comedians talking to eachother about ____. Hodgman brings a curious mixture of funny and insightful to the show and clearly cares about the people who bring their disputes to his courtroom.

JJHO posted:

Tonally, there was no discussion; I just don’t know any other way to do it. I don’t want to make people feel bad, and I don’t want to make their problems into a joke. I do love telling people when they’re right and wrong, but for the most part, it was always going to be about real fights where people have a real difference of opinion and a real dispute. I want to make jokes, but I also want to make a decision that is fair.

In each episode, Judge John Hodgman hears and renders a judgment on a dispute (often over petty or trivial matters) between two people (calling in via Skype or similar program from their home location) in a virtual courtroom setting. Hodgman is assisted in most episodes by Bailiff Jesse Thorn, who acts as co-host, introducing each episode, interjecting humorous questions and observations during cases, and interviewing the disputants before and after Hodgman's verdict is announced. Though Hodgman has no formal legal training or experience (often describing himself as a "fake internet judge"), and much of the content is played for laughs and entertainment, the disputants in each episode do verbally agree to abide by Hodgman's ruling before their case is heard.

Each case starts with the Judge presenting an obscure cultural reference that may or may not be pertinent to the matter at hand. In theory the person who can correctly identify said reference automatically wins a verdict in their favor.

Occasionally, when the Judge feels that his knowledge of a particular subject is insufficient, the court will call on expert witnesses. Past expert witnesses include Paul F. Tompkins (per podcast law), Tom Scharpling, Jon Wurster, Alton Brown, John Darnielle, Eugene Mirman, Morgan Webb and many more.

My favorite eps are the ones that feature kids against their weird parents, particularly Weird Moms. A Weird Dad will usually just go "this is how I am and you don't have to like it", while a Weird Mom is just as likely to accuse her daughter of being a lying, untrustworthy garbage eater. Episodes that relate to sports are also great because the Judge hates pretty much all aspects of sports that aren't the Hartford Whalers logo.

If you'd like to submit your own case to Judge John Hodgman you can do so here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Ninety-one? There are ninety other "Tiger Drivers"? Do any involve actual tigers, or driving?
I'll add some episodes to check out for first-timers later, if you have one in mind post it.

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe
Let me think of a few essentials...

8: Tree or not to Tree (Sadvent Tree w/ Jason from Huntsville)
54: Die Flederhaus (the Bat Brothers)
71: Probable Cosplay (Star Wars convention cosplay dispute with wife)
94: Bleached and Mounted Bones of Contention (skeleton & taxidermy collection?)
98: All Dogs go to Trial (can you pretend to have a service dog)
112: Court-o-Potty (chamber pot in the bedroom)
134: The Right to Remain Silent (should a dad force his tween daughter into embarrassing situations)

But when you listen to it every week, you don't necessarily keep a running tab on the hits.

And if you're looking for one where the defendant's crime is almost above the jurisdiction of internet court and the episode is fascinating but really uncomfortable, give episode 176 a listen.

Flip Yr Wig fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Dec 12, 2014

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Flip Yr Wig posted:

And if you're looking for one where the defendant's crime is almost above the jurisdiction of internet court and the episode is fascinating but really uncomfortable, give episode 176 a listen.

:stare: Mother of God, what an rear end in a top hat.

The episode that got me into the show was 17, where a daughter thinks her father makes her watch too many classic movies instead of letting her go out with her friends.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Yeah, I like that one because I think it sets the precedent for "you can't force someone else to love a thing you love" AND it 's the first appearance of a Weird Dad, which are both cornerstones of the podcast.

Fiendly
May 27, 2010

That's not right!
My favorite episode was #73 - Gavelbangers Ball, which challenges the "you can't force someone to like something" precedent when a guy tries to get his girlfriend to give heavy/death/black metal a try, featuring special guest metal expert John Darnielle of The Mountain Goats.

That said, I haven't listened to the show in over a year because it seemed like every case had gotten impossible to follow and either lazily argued for or psychotically over-defended by the bringers of the case because they had just wanted to get on the show. Hodgman frequently called them out on it, but they were already there and he needed an episode for the week, so it just got dragged out until the judgement, which was often the only good part. I'll try out the recommended episodes to see if I should get back on board.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
My Legal Pony and Gross Misconduct are two pretty great recent EPs.

I really enjoy most episodes of this show and Hodgman is a seriously funny dude working with a pretty hard to make funny setup for a show.

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

Competitive debating is some weird poo poo. Good job by the husband there, I can't believe I was rooting for a lady who was suing for the right to make someone eat mustard sauce pizza.

Illinois Smith fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Dec 25, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Illinois Smith
Nov 15, 2003

JJHO posted:

The BROCAVORE BROS from Judge John Hodgman Verdict 167 have begun their year long eat-only-what-they-raise-on-thier-farm experiment/audition for NY State Official Cult status.

They are BLOGGING their efforts HERE, including their occasional COURT SANCTIONED DALLIANCES, in which I force them to occasionally eat store-bought scrapple, uncooked ramen noodles, and Cheez Waffies—just to keep their micro biome diverse.

• Locked thread