Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Go drive it.

AWD 300s have hilariously terrible weight distribution, understeer isn't a strong enough word. Especially in the snow. Does it snow in boston? :cheeky:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
With the death of the accent, I'm rather inheriting my wife's yaris as my car for when the bike or the Benz are inappropriate (so basically, going to work in the winter on days below 25 or so, or with snow). This means she needs a new car. She has been absolutely sold on a Prius C. I don't mind - there's nothing wrong with reliable and fuel efficient, even if it's a bit slow and boring. We're looking to find a deal on a lease return though, so a car with 20k or less on it for a good discount, but I can find absolutely no information about buying these cars used. I'm not sure if i should be worried or impressed by this.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Mr. Wiggles posted:

With the death of the accent, I'm rather inheriting my wife's yaris as my car for when the bike or the Benz are inappropriate (so basically, going to work in the winter on days below 25 or so, or with snow). This means she needs a new car. She has been absolutely sold on a Prius C. I don't mind - there's nothing wrong with reliable and fuel efficient, even if it's a bit slow and boring. We're looking to find a deal on a lease return though, so a car with 20k or less on it for a good discount, but I can find absolutely no information about buying these cars used. I'm not sure if i should be worried or impressed by this.

Have you and your wife actually looked at a Prius C in person? My girlfriend and a couple of my friends considered them until they actually saw one in person. The interior seriously looks dated, plastic, and cheap. It's more like from a Corolla from the mid to late 90's.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
She likes it. She has a strong emotional connection to the yaris family of vehicles, and there's no turning her off from a yaris with even better mileage. For myself, I don't really care. I have my bike and the Benz for when I want to enjoy the road, and I'll be getting a new car for myself in a couple of years when i pass this yaris down to my son.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
A used Ford Focus 1.6 TDCI Econetic because fuel is expensive as gently caress and I quite like the idea of my new commute costing me £4 a day. Problem is that everywhere I'm seeing reviews says in slower stop/start traffic, especially in the lower gears, it's awful to drive. So I'm going to try and blag a longer test drive to get a real idea of how big an issue that is.
I really don't want to give up my nice green fiesta either. :(

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

InitialDave posted:

I'm assuming that any discussion as to why it needs to be a mini-SUV is an utter waste of time?
Guess :) Apparently "normal cars are boring", which I can kind of get behind, I just don't quite see the intermediate steps that end with "so we're buying a Yeti".

InitialDave posted:

They do a 170ps Yeti which, as far as I can see, drops the lower "SE" spec compared to the 140ps, but is the same price for the remaining trim levels?

Yeah, we may have to go try one of those. They're a bit harder to find second hand, but I suppose I'm not really in any hurry.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

I reckon the Yeti looks the least like a 4x4 out of all the soft roaders, which in my book is a big plus, even if it isn't particularly pretty.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I broke down and emailed the guy and I'm probably buying this now. :3:

The_Raven
Jul 2, 2004

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved?

Powershift posted:

Go drive it.

AWD 300s have hilariously terrible weight distribution, understeer isn't a strong enough word. Especially in the snow. Does it snow in boston? :cheeky:

I'm gonna drive it tomorrow. It will be snowing, I'm told, so we'll see how much it plows.

I'm really having a hard time finding a comparable value, and the fact that it's a 2014 is keeping my interest rate down... The 2014 Genesis and Cadenza are nice sedans, but no AWD, and the MKZ is kinda fugly...

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The_Raven posted:

I'm gonna drive it tomorrow. It will be snowing, I'm told, so we'll see how much it plows.

I'm really having a hard time finding a comparable value, and the fact that it's a 2014 is keeping my interest rate down... The 2014 Genesis and Cadenza are nice sedans, but no AWD, and the MKZ is kinda fugly...

the newer genesis is AWD only with the V8, but you'll have trouble finding one cheap.

Either way, you're getting a 4500lb front heavy sedan that will be super comfy, but hard on fuel and not as good as you would expect in the snow.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.
I haven't done an internal combustion transaction in 5 years, and I'm still feeling good about my S-corral.

However I've got the urge to get a R1200GSA with the waterboxer, I infrequently have to go from Baltimore to Durham and I'd like to start making that trip without using I-95, and I don't have anything that even pretends to have off-roading pretensions.

Sadly the only people willing to sell them are idiots in Virginia who think $10000 in mods = $10000 in asking price.

Basically resigned to buying new, and will probably do so when things warm up a little bit but before motorcycle season hits full swing.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Omg the new style Chevrolet Caprice's can be had for cheap!!
http://www.bakerchevrolet.com/VehicleDetails/used-2012-Chevrolet-Caprice-Police-Red_Springs-NC/2444610863

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Wolfsbane posted:

Yeah, we may have to go try one of those. They're a bit harder to find second hand, but I suppose I'm not really in any hurry.
Alternatively, a 140 and a remap would likely put you in a similar position to buying a 170.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

Yeah, that was my initial thought. It depends what's available, and how much of a premium is on the 170. Of course we could just remap the 170...

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

The_Raven posted:

Why are you so invested in an awd vs rwd car when you're looking at cars with really poor handling/weight distribution in the first place?

Git Mah Belt Son
Apr 26, 2003

Happy Happy Gators

The_Raven posted:

There really isn't much. You've also got the Taurus (ancient inside and out. The SHO is pretty okay but not worth what they cost), the Chevy Impala (no AWD and I think v6 is the top engine - it's a good v6 though), Toyota Avalon (if you want any sort of engaging driving experience forget it) or the Dodge Charger. You may be able to find a Hemi Charger in your price range, but it won't have the comfort features of the 300.

Edit: Doesn't happen to be this one, is it? http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...381625844&Log=0

If so, I'd be careful. It's a former rental...Any rental with a V8 - even one not meant to be a sports car/sports sedan - was surely abused.

Git Mah Belt Son fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Jan 31, 2015

The_Raven
Jul 2, 2004

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved?

Git Mah Belt Son posted:

There really isn't much. You've also got the Taurus (ancient inside and out. The SHO is pretty okay but not worth what they cost), the Chevy Impala (no AWD and I think v6 is the top engine - it's a good v6 though), Toyota Avalon (if you want any sort of engaging driving experience forget it) or the Dodge Charger. You may be able to find a Hemi Charger in your price range, but it won't have the comfort features of the 300.

Edit: Doesn't happen to be this one, is it? http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...381625844&Log=0

If so, I'd be careful. It's a former rental...Any rental with a V8 - even one not meant to be a sports car/sports sedan - was surely abused.

Son of a bitch... I missed the rental thing, thanks for catching that. It is CPO, but still, scratch that...

As for why part-time AWD, more for reasonable winter capability when I need it, better than straight RWD. I'm not concerned so much with handling. I want a comfy commuter that rides well and that has some balls.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

NitroSpazzz posted:

I'm also looking for an M5 but want a E28. Want to find one with under 100k miles in good shape but not pay a stupid amount of money for it. There's one going for sale locally that I may be able to get cheaply but it has a poo poo load of miles and more history than I'd like. The plan is fix the last two things on the 928 then sell it before it breaks again, put that money towards the M5.

Looks like I'm on my way towards this one quicker than expected. Test driving one for the night. Not <100k miles but the price is excellent, rust free and it's beautiful. Chipped S38 is a loving monster of an engine. Interior will be redone then I'll fly back up to drive it back.

I thought the 928 was fast...I was wrong.

Sole Survivor
Aug 21, 2009

The_Raven posted:

Son of a bitch... I missed the rental thing, thanks for catching that. It is CPO, but still, scratch that...

As for why part-time AWD, more for reasonable winter capability when I need it, better than straight RWD. I'm not concerned so much with handling. I want a comfy commuter that rides well and that has some balls.

I drive a 2014 300S V6 RWD and a friend of mine has a 2011 300C V8 RWD. They're pretty comfortable and quiet inside, with a good amount of toys and probably the best infotainment system available. My friend's 300C has 80k miles on it and the only issue he's had was an alternator problem at about 70k. Honestly, my V6 with the 8 speed transmission is pretty quick too, so if you can't find another one with the Hemi I'd still give it a look.

The_Raven
Jul 2, 2004

Yeah, that Pentastar V6 seems to be well regarded, and I haven't heard any horror stories about the new 8-speed. I've kinda got a hard-on for that HEMI rumble though. Pushrod supremacy and all... :911:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

The_Raven posted:

Tyres, tyres, tyres. A good set of winters will likely do more for you than having all wheels driven. Of course, having both would be even better, but if you can get everything you want in terms of spec except the AWD, and it's the lack of it in winter that makes this a dealbreaker for you, I'd say you'll probably be ok in anything except "so deep the car's resting on the floorpan" stuff.

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

InitialDave posted:

Tyres, tyres, tyres. A good set of winters will likely do more for you than having all wheels driven. Of course, having both would be even better, but if you can get everything you want in terms of spec except the AWD, and it's the lack of it in winter that makes this a dealbreaker for you, I'd say you'll probably be ok in anything except "so deep the car's resting on the floorpan" stuff.

This. I've driven through some loving brutal poo poo in my life with FWD/RWD vehicles, and with a good set of winters I'm far more capable than most people are with 4wd/awd.
I park my 4x4 in the winter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

InitialDave posted:

This, if you're not running proper winter tires all AWD/4wd will do for you is make you overly confident and put you in a ditch. If you're buying AWD/4wd just for the snow, the MPG hit and extra maintenance really isn't worth it on a daily driver unless you live in Alaska or something, especially if going AWD/4wd limits your selection. RWD is just fine in the snow with a sandbag in the back. Don't limit yourself unless you really really need it.

HEY VAPER fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Jan 31, 2015

• Locked thread