Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tacodaemon
Nov 27, 2006

hackbunny posted:

I then went to grab something to eat, the punchline being that there is not a single pancake house in the American Capital of the Pancake

It's not just the American Capital of the Pancake, it's the Pancake Hub of the Universe, which cracks me up every time I read it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Couldn't find any great pictures, but here:

All along I-80 in Wyoming are signs.

:haw:

Giant truck stop and hotel. There is nothing on I-80 for hundreds of miles in either direction, so I'm guessing it's where people stay on their way to Yellowstone. Also, it's run by what appears to be a giant family of Tongans. Which is kind of amusing to me.

Hoover Dam
Jun 17, 2003

red white and blue forever

hackbunny posted:

(of course for the purposes of this thread I omitted ...the Hoover Dam)

:sigh:

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

hackbunny posted:

Amarillo, TX's world famous Big Legs:

A reference to Ozymandias or was there a statue once?

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

ryonguy posted:

Pretty sure I bought a bull skull here. Tacky as gently caress but again 17 year old nerd = skulls are awesome. I think my parents still have it at their house.

Nah, they gave it to Davis Aurini

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Peanut President posted:

A reference to Ozymandias or was there a statue once?

There's a lot of kitschy non-art around Amarillo, it's their "thing". But yes, it's a reference to Ozymandias:

The fake history at the bottom also says that there was a statue once before students broke it

(I don't know about the books, some sort of symbolic offering?)

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

artsy fartsy
May 10, 2014

You'll be ahead instead of behind. Hello!
Ooh ooh ooh, does Ripley's Believe it or Not count as a tourist trap?

A few years back I went to the one in Grand Prairie. There were four separate attractions: a mirror maze, the wax museum, the standard Ripley's exhibit part with two-headed kittens and all that stuff, and the LASERACE CHALLENGE.

The first three were pretty standard and expected: corny, kitschy, so-bad-it's-good (and it was funny tripping over people in the mirror maze)...but the LASERACE CHALLENGE really stood apart from the crowd. The idea is that you tear through this big laser-filled room, ducking and dodging and jumping LASERS, and make it to the exit before the time runs out.

Here's the photo for it on the Ripley's website:

Ooooooh.

In reality? It's not actually a room, it's a box--maybe 6 foot by 6 foot--inside another room. You open the door, step over one beam, slightly duck your head under a second beam, then go out the exit door. Then you walk back around to the front with a confused look on your face and say something like, "Did I do it wrong? Did I got out an emergency exit or something?"

The best part? You're charged a separate admission fee to go through it.

You can buy an admission bundle that includes all the Ripley's attractions but you could, in theory, pay $5 to step through the laser closet and then just go home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
Peggy's Cove is all well and good but how about Mastodon Ridge in Stewiacke, NS? (Halfway between the North Pole and the Equator!) A 10-foot-high mastodon statue named Marvin, weighing 3000 lbs, commemorating the fact that some sort of mastodon-like bones may have been found somewhere around there at some point and also that the TransCanada goes right by there, carrying all the tourists on their way to Cape Breton!

And in my neck of the woods, Mother Webb's in Antigonish, NS. These signs are generously sprinkled along the 104 until you get to this one:

My favourite is the one past the building that tells you to turn around and go back. Now that they're finishing up the new highway the 104 is being used less and less so I'm looking forward to an even bigger and more expansive sign collection trying to divert people from the TransCanada.

(Neither of these pictures is mine.)

Dogfish has a new favorite as of 23:27 on Mar 8, 2015

• Locked thread