Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
blk
Dec 19, 2009
A friend of mine on a tight budget drives a 2002 Hyundai Accent with the automatic tranny. She told me today that the car will get going from a stop but won't shift beyond first and slowly loses power once it's there. It also won't move at all once switched in reverse. She says it happened an hour after a coworker helped her tighten her belts and fix some issue with her horn; no other work was done. Any ideas?

blk fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Dec 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I've got an idea. Scrap the car and get something that's not horrible poo poo before you start chasing it down the dark hole of repairs.

Obvious questions: any codes, is there fluid in the trans, is it still red.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Powershift posted:

I've got an idea. Scrap the car and get something that's not horrible poo poo before you start chasing it down the dark hole of repairs.

Obvious questions: any codes, is there fluid in the trans, is it still red.

I asked her to check the fluid and get back to me. No warning lights but I might go over there with my code reader. And yeah, it's a shitbox that's not worth major work, but she's broke and can't afford a new car, either. I'm hoping there's something minor at issue.

blk fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Dec 14, 2014

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Don't let her blame her poor coworker that was just trying to help that's bullshit. Tightening the belts and fixing the horn has nothing to do with the drat transmission, it's just a loving coincidence. I hate it when people do that poo poo.....YOU JUST ROTATED THE TIRES NOW IT WONT START ITS YOUR FAULT :rolleyes:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

leica posted:

Don't let her blame her poor coworker that was just trying to help that's bullshit. Tightening the belts and fixing the horn has nothing to do with the drat transmission, it's just a loving coincidence. I hate it when people do that poo poo.....YOU JUST ROTATED THE TIRES NOW IT WONT START ITS YOUR FAULT :rolleyes:

"Well, you worked on it last, and now it -"

Never fix a computer for a family member or friend.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Raluek posted:

Never fix a computer anything for a family member or friend.

X1000 unless you're ready to take on any other issues that might pop up

blk
Dec 19, 2009

leica posted:

I don't think anyone's suggesting that, although I have previously worked with the guy and he isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer/doesn't like taking responsibility for things, so it is possible he did something else while trying to be helpful and isn't reporting it now.

Anyways, her ATF color and fill level is good, so I recommended we limp it Autozone or something to have codes checked (my dongle is in my wife's car 100+ miles away). She didn't want to do that, and didn't want to go with me to see if they'd loan us a reader, so I guess my part is done.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

If he's not too smart, I'm not sure what he could have possibly done to ruin the transmission while tightening the belts.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

leica posted:

If he's not too smart, I'm not sure what he could have possibly done to ruin the transmission while tightening the belts.

The speculation is that he might have tried to change her tranny fluid or something but since that checks out, I don't know either. He's just not a guy I'd trust with my car, or any other job - not because of his ability, but his honesty.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Only thing I could possibly think of is he messed up the kick-down cable (if it has one) but even that's a stretch.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
I was thinking it could be a sensor that got munged, sending it into limp mode, but that wouldn't explain no reverse.

Maybe the work involving the horn was in the column side of things, instead of the engine bay side? Could the shift linkage/wiring be messed up somehow?

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I'm not sure - I'm currently talking her into selling it and getting a Miata: http://corvallis.craigslist.org/cto/4756687773.html

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

blk posted:

I'm not sure - I'm currently talking her into selling it and getting a Miata: http://corvallis.craigslist.org/cto/4756687773.html

Good, good. Let the AI flow through you.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

leica posted:

Only thing I could possibly think of is he messed up the kick-down cable (if it has one) but even that's a stretch.

Or unplugged / hosed up the wiring to a shift solenoid pack. I don't know about that car, but my Honda (for example) has external solenoids.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Black88GTA posted:

Or unplugged / hosed up the wiring to a shift solenoid pack. I don't know about that car, but my Honda (for example) has external solenoids.

This is really the only thing I could think if it was running perfectly fine before. You'd think it would throw a MIL if that were the case but I don't know about older Hyundais.
I'd poke around all under there and see if he may have yanked on something while trying to reach the horn wires or if leaning on something broke the connector off a solenoid.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Black88GTA posted:

External solenoids? Jesus. I suppose that's great for replacing, but opens up all kinds of lovely possibilities I would think.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

atomicthumbs posted:

Good, good. Let the AI flow through you.

I tried to be good and followed up with a Pontiac Vibe or a Suzuki SX4, but it's too late - I think she's sold on the idea.

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench

blk posted:

I tried to be good and followed up with a Pontiac Vibe or a Suzuki SX4, but it's too late - I think she's sold on the idea.
Put a ring on it. And by that I mean an engine tear down and reset the rings. Go all out and also marry that lady.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

leica posted:

External solenoids? Jesus. I suppose that's great for replacing, but opens up all kinds of lovely possibilities I would think.

Makes solenoid replacement a hell of a lot easier. Along with diagnosis. I know on my old Integra, what was diagnosed as a dead transmission by a shop was actually a dead solenoid, according to the friend I bought it from. The transmission outlasted the engine.

I'd also guess some wires got knocked loose, as long as the fluid is full. There's generally a couple of solenoids, and they're engaged in different ways to engage different gears. Loose ground could also cause that.

What happens if she puts it in 2 instead of drive? Has the CEL lit up yet? Most newer cars won't trigger the CEL until it logs the same fault at least twice - I can literally go unplug the MAF on my car, and the CEL won't come on until the 3rd engine start.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 11:27 on Dec 15, 2014

• Locked thread