Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hostess with the Moltres
May 15, 2013
I keep trying to run the game, but it says that there aren't any game scripts found and there might be a missing ini file. It doesn't affect the legacy edition at all, but I'd rather do it on default because it looks better. Also, when I was playing it on default the game would lag to the point of unplayability whenever I went to that room in the very beginning with the candle and you can see Brad's shadow. I disabled steam overlay to fix that; is there anything else I can do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vlaada Chvatil
Sep 23, 2014

Bunny bunny moose moose
College Slice
I only just discovered that Widdly 2 Diddly hangs himself at some point. Makes that graffiti pretty sad...

Widdly 2 Diddly

W2D

Want To Die

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
So I got my brother to play the game (thus lifting the curse and I can stop trying to recommend it to everyone), and apparently he got a super rare campfire event where the weird smiling dude (the one who can fart on you) just shot himself in the head over Brad. Shook him up something fierce. Has this happened to anyone else, because it's not on the wiki.

One thing I can honestly say about Painful+Joyful is that this is probably the closest anything has gotten to describing my bought of clinical depression and anxiety disorder, just the sheer grueling joyless determination with occasional levity and feeling powerful with the absolutely crushing feelings of failure and entrapment. So I earnestly want to thank Dingaling for that, for giving me some cornerstone to help point people to. It took me a while to realize why the game resonated so powerfully but I'm glad it worked through the repression. :unsmith:

it is
Aug 19, 2011

by Smythe
The other day I was listening to Illegal by Hyper Crush and I realized that it's in 2 songs in this game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOjTsJR64eM&t=60s

The sirens (play this at 1.25 speed):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kxXhkNw_to

The chorus:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXHRN3nMarg

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Thats beautiful

Relin
Oct 6, 2002

You have been a most worthy adversary, but in every game, there are winners and there are losers. And as you know, in this game, losers get robotizicized!
what terrible news!

he hadnt yet started work on ninja tears!

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

Brad is like .... a bad person in LISA

kind of awkward he feels there's such a connection to his dad

Clever Spambot
Sep 16, 2009

You've lost that lovin' feeling,
Now it's gone...gone...
GONE....
The connection seems to mostly be how dedicated they both were, which is definitely a positive trait. Brad in the game just happened to be dedicated to doing alot of horrible murder poo poo for what he saw as a noble goal.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

I don't think drawing inspiration from his father for certain aspects of brad was meant as an insult, even if Brad is a very flawed character

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I
Interesting to find that he grew up in Olathe. In a past interview he'd said that he chose the town (maybe even despite having never been there) because it seemed archetypical of what he wanted and he liked the name.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
You could argue this but to be fair I think calling Brad a bad person is a bit overly simplistic. He was a decent-ish person who BECAME a bad person, sure, but he wasn't even like that in the entire game.

Anonymous Robot posted:

Interesting to find that he grew up in Olathe. In a past interview he'd said that he chose the town (maybe even despite having never been there) because it seemed archetypical of what he wanted and he liked the name.

I recall him having said Olathe was his hometown prior to the game's being connected with LISA.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Brad's a very complex character, who is also very sympathetic so issuing a flat judgement on him like "is a bad person" hurts a little, because the player's understanding of brad is far more than that.

If it's a judgement you need to pass though, Brad walked out on faceless dusty way before the game first starts, so I find calling him a "good person" a bit of a stretch at any point personally. I'd say that throughout the whole game, the most concise judgement I can give on brad is "a bad person trying to be a good person."

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

It's kind of interesting how over the course of the game's events, brad's personality and character are very static (brad at the start of the game is very much the same person as brad 90% of the way into the game), but the player's understanding of brad constantly shifts as new information is presented. It's pretty cool and I like it tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Relationships with dads can be complicated. And messy. If anything, Lisa is just a super hyper violent exaggeration of feelings plenty of people can relate to at parts.

• Locked thread