Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rusty Listerine
Feb 10, 2004
the H in Jesus H. Christ is for Harold??.....that's right, it's Jesus Harry Christ.
Can someone dumb this down for me?

What is it?

How does it work?

Can I do it myself?

What are meta descriptions? How do they work?

How do I get my poo poo (website) on top of google?

How much do I have to spend on google ad words to even get results?

Since we know blogs matter.., why is mine not getting hits? Do I "suck at blog"?
http://www.tacpack.com/blogs/news/18412251-tacpack-range-day-long-range-fun-times

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

EDIT:

First off, thanks SD for the great advice! I would love any advice/help you're willing to give!

In case anyone is interested in knowing more about my company/why I posted here please check out my post in TFR:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3688797

Rusty Listerine fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Dec 19, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snatch Duster
Feb 20, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Rusty Listerine posted:

Can someone dumb this down for me?

What is it?

How does it work?

Can I do it myself?

What are meta descriptions? How do they work?

How do I get my poo poo (website) on top of google?

How much do I have to spend on google ad words to even get results?

Since we know blogs matter.., why is mine not getting hits? Do I "suck at blog"?

http://www.tacpack.com/blogs/news/18412251-tacpack-range-day-long-range-fun-times

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

1) SEO is search engine optimization, which you probably already know, and it has a long sorted history. Currently, SEO is viewed as technical work on a site to help send the right signals to Google or Bing. However SEO is usually lumped into an Inbound Marketing plan by digital advertising agencies that heavily relies on content marketing. With over +200 ranking factors in Google's algorithm, technical seo work can only get you so far.

2) Technical SEO sends signals to crawlers, like Googlebot, that best describe what your site/page/blog is about. Through content creation, you can raise your authority with these bots about whatever subject your site is about. So if your site is easily understood by these bots (technical SEO) and your content is shared, read, or drives a lot of views (content marketing) Google will rank you higher.

3) You can, but SEO is an ever changing field and you will need to keep educating yourself on best practices.

4) Here is what Moz, the leader in SEO, says about meta descriptions

quote:

Meta description tags, while not important to search engine rankings, are extremely important in gaining user click-through from SERPs. These short paragraphs are a webmaster’s opportunity to advertise content to searchers and to let them know exactly whether the given page contains the information they're looking for.

The meta description should employ the keywords intelligently, but also create a compelling description that a searcher will want to click. Direct relevance to the page and uniqueness between each page’s meta description is key. The description should optimally be between 150-160 characters.

EXAMPLE:
<head>
<meta name="description" content="Here is a description of the applicable page">
</head>

5) The fastest and easiest way is through Google AdWords, however you will have to pay money to do that. Think of getting on top of Google as a marathon. SEO takes a long time and it is best to pace yourself since Google also watches out for over-optimization and penalizes sites for this. Adwords is a like a rocket ship in this race where you will jump a head really quickly, but once you hit market saturation you won't be able to increase your traffic further by spending more. In the long term, investing in Inbound Marketing/SEO has better returns but initially you will take a loss.

6) How much you spend is dependent on industry. For example; a honda generator company average cost per acquisition is $25 - $50 per conversion while a personal injury lawyer in Chicago pays ~$75 per click. This lawyer will spends sometimes thousands of dollars before a single conversion. With that said, I looked at your site and it might be hard since Google doesn't allow guns to be advertised. Even though you aren't selling guns per say, it really depends on what G Rep you get when you launch your campaigns.

A good starting point though for an ad campaign in AdWords is $1,000 a month, which is $33 per day.

7) Blogs matter, but not as much as you probably think. It is great place to connect with your audience on a personal level and give insight into your company. But it sounds like you don't have an audience, so your blog is doing nothing for you. Google is smart and realizes that hardly anyone is reading your blog, so they don't rank you higher. Also, you social media links send you to Shopify's social media pages. I would recommend creating these channels and marketing your content through them, to help build an audience.

If you want to talk further over skype, feel free to pm me. I've performed dozens of digital marketing audits for goons this year, and for free.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
Have good content and have other popular sites link to your good content. PageRank bases scores based on the number of links to the content, and the integrity/authority of those links (so spammy sites should ideally not work in their system).

Don't be spammy, no one likes spammy. Instead, connect with others in the community around your business, gain a good personal reputation, and promote each other's good content.

So find the popular hunting community sites, build a personal reputation, and use that reputation to drive traffic to your content. Post occasional summaries or commentary on other sites' content (and link to it) on your site.

Quift
May 11, 2012
To make it very simple, you have less than twenty blog entries. Few of them contain useful information. You do not deserve a top spot on Google for any possible query. To get the top spot you need to work for it.

1. You need to know which queries you are targeting with your content. Find a particular query (not keyword, three words minimum).

2.Write three good blog posts about that subject. Intro and two more in depth. Make sure that the titles of the entries accurately reflect the subject and contain relevant keywords.

3. Rince and repeat.

You will probably need to write a few hundred blog posts in this manner to gain traction. It is however a great investment in the long run as the traffic keeps growing and good but older content still work.

The more technical bits are not a priority right now. You are getting indexed properly so technical seo will not help you that much. The lack of content is what is hurting you. Once you have content buy an seo audit.

Regarding links...
Links work. They can propel you further up the serp quicker. However do not buy links! You need to know what you are doing when buying links. 90% don't. No matter if they are "SEO consultants" or just "really good with online marketing ". At best you are wasting money, at worst your are sabotaging your business.
Do the homework. Read seomoz, all of it, before entering any link building scheme.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
I hired someone to build me a website and SEO it (for buying houses). The dude just flat out ripped me off I think. I have this big website and he allegedly did SEO work for 3 months before I fired him. I have never gotten a single lead or call off of it.

How do I find a trustworthy place to get SEO help? I realized I am a mark when I don't even understand what the product is and I can be lied to basically. I tried to read some about it but I realized it would take me an incredible amount of time to learn SEO, and I don't have it.

All I want to do is have someone google something like "sell my house in raleigh fast" and see my website. Any easy place to get advice?

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

Do you have a link to the site?

I always recommend that people keep things simple: Your website is your business card; people should be able to get to connect with what you're offering within seconds of entering the site, with their next step being the Contact Us page. If you're just looking to get some ads to show when somebody searches "sell my house in Raleigh fast" and your website in the first few search results for similar results, all you'll really need for that SEO sweet spot are Adwords (the ads that appear in Google results), Analytics (Who is coming to your site? What kind of people are they?), maybe a Google Maps page with some reviews, and an easily navigable website with proper metadata.

I feel you on the abandonment part. The company I work for is primarily vertically integrated in order to avoid situations like that. We build the initial website and do all content management, nurture emails, social media, blogs, and ad campaigns to support its existence. Something like this costs more up front but ends up working a lot better in the long run due to having full access to what we need, when we need it-- no waiting for people to get back to us on their side project (your website).

Krotera
Jun 16, 2013

I AM INTO MATHEMATICAL CALCULATIONS AND MANY METHODS USED IN THE STOCK MARKET

Armchair Calvinist posted:

Something like this costs more up front but ends up working a lot better in the long run due to having full access to what we need, when we need it-- no waiting for people to get back to us on their side project (your website).

Are you working for that company? I haven't seen those parked pages in ages!

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Ribsauce posted:

I hired someone to build me a website and SEO it (for buying houses). The dude just flat out ripped me off I think. I have this big website and he allegedly did SEO work for 3 months before I fired him. I have never gotten a single lead or call off of it.

How do I find a trustworthy place to get SEO help? I realized I am a mark when I don't even understand what the product is and I can be lied to basically. I tried to read some about it but I realized it would take me an incredible amount of time to learn SEO, and I don't have it.

All I want to do is have someone google something like "sell my house in raleigh fast" and see my website. Any easy place to get advice?

Snatchduster is great at this kind of thing-- he helped me a lot last year. But what looks to be happening in 2015 and beyond is a smarter, more adept Google search (and google is 85%+ of American search). If you provide value for people selling cars in Raleigh Fast (giving them information, even if they don't want to sell right now), you're way ahead of simply optimizing for sales.

Feel free to PM.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
Excuse, but I have a similar question: Elance is lousy with writing jobs that want you to write SEO'd content. How do I do that? I get the impression that SEO is more of a technical thing than a writing method. What am I not getting? What's my major malfunction?

Amgard
Dec 28, 2006

Hey, I'm a content creator for a major marketing company that uses both SEO/Inbound marketing and ad campaigns, so I have some good experience actually building click-worthy and conversion-generating landing pages. I'm only somewhat experience with the technical SEO aspect of things, so I'll defer to someone more technically competent for advice.

Though to be honest, unless you're doing something very very wrong, the problem is more than likely your site's design and content. In fact, I'm more than absolutely sure that it is.

So let's go over a few key concepts that seem to be harrying your site's conversion potential.

1) Your initial pitch - what's notable here is that you don't really have one. I've gone over the main landers and a few of the blogs and it's a little frustrating in that I know enough about your service and your business model without knowing a single thing about why I should want the product or service you're offering, what it contains, or how it benefits me.

I know a lot of these Monthly Kit models work off providing a somewhat ambiguous product at times, but so far I'm seeing that this product is a) For Hunters and Outdoorsman and b) It's provided to me Monthly in various installment plans. What else? What about this product is actually providing me with something valuable?

2) Use of visual space - This is partly an issue with the Shopify/Wordpress model, but that home page is just an amalgamation of previous content from your site arranged rather haphazardly. The overly large banner coupled with the second overly large banner is killing a lot of your potential sale space with low quality images. I shouldn't have to scroll down to see your welcome, as your page is already overloaded with visual assets that aren't contributing to your sale.

Divisions between segments are also huge, giving you this really dissociated Tumblr exploding vertical content thing. It looks awful. The site really does need a serious design tune-up to reduce wasted space and get to the meat of your product/service.

3) Structure of written space - A lot of people are sticklers about properly headering your writing. I tend to believe that it's always good practice, but not always necessary. That being said, your writing (especially on the blog) is lacking a lot of structure, both visually and technically. Your H1 and H2s are present, but properly structuring your content with relevant tags and more subdivisions of headers will give more relevancy to search queries ("keeping it real" isn't likely going to register a hit on a result page).

4) The writing itself. The writing is pretty much on the level of a personal journal, with not a lot I can see a user finding helpful, informative, or (and this is most important) shareable to other users. You want to focus more on content that fits a variety of guidelines:

-It's easy to parse and digest (Shorter blocks of text, more density in info, more of a "point" to the article)
-Easily organized (Top 10 lists are hated by many many people, but they respond higher to engagement than any other kind of articling from a marketing standpoint and an SEO standpoint)
-Easy to Share or Distribute (Widgets for social media sharing can be helpful, but the value of the content has to support it)
-Written to be Read. That seems like a simplistic thing to say, but fully 90% (or higher) of SEO writers and bloggers aren't writing for an audience. They're writing to game the keyword recognition and it invariably looks terrible and that WILL reflect in the SERPs.

In my experience, SEO as a goal of itself is largely a pipe dream thought up by incompetent marketers who feel like Google can be gamed. The truth is that dedicated SEO businesses are, by and large, gaming their clients by finding exploits in Google's algorithms to deliver short-term and short-sighted results. Good SEO follows good site design and good content and the best performing sites were and always were the sites that build a positive user experience, and is in itself a result of user enjoying using and reading the content on the site.

I'd be happy to elaborate more on any of my points, and I hope you're able to use it to build a better performing site.

quote:

Excuse, but I have a similar question: Elance is lousy with writing jobs that want you to write SEO'd content. How do I do that? I get the impression that SEO is more of a technical thing than a writing method. What am I not getting? What's my major malfunction?

It's both, really. Google has expected a higher standard of content, and it's reflected in how they measure how users access and use sites. Sites with significant bounce (users leaving quickly and without using the site) are going to negative impact the SERPs because Google is calculating that the site isn't worth poo poo.

Technical and Creative content creation go hand in hand, but the problem is that Technical Results are much easier to measure. I can take 5-10 minutes to look at a site and tell you "This poo poo is hosed up and broken" and you can fix it. It's harder for someone to look at a blog and go "This blog is irrelevant and worthless and no one will care about it", especially internally within the industry that isn't using marketing analysis to see what users want/expect.

So while Technical is just as important, it's also easier to evaluate. So as a result, Creative has boomed as an industry as of late, both because of Google's growing desire for high-value content, and because people are using services like Elance to deliver low-quality content. After all, if someone fucks you over with garbage content, are you going to leave it that way or hire someone to fix it? Scam and legitimate content creators benefit equally from this arrangement.

edit: Quaff is pretty close to the money of how to find subjects for blogging. However I disagree that "hundreds of posts" are needed to get results. It's all about value to your users and to Google. And while more is better, more for the sake of more isn't going to deliver the way you want.

Ribsauce
Jul 29, 2006

Blacks in the back.
Golden Bee, Armchair Calvinist, I have shifted most of my marketing to direct mail and other methods but I will work up a budget and plan and send you two PMs soon and see if I can get this website right in 2015.

I guess I need a blog and maybe I should just write 300-500 words about Raleigh Real Estate? I try to by houses to fix up and hold, not traditional real estate MLS stuff. People who need to sell fast.

thanks for the advice. You are right, my initial attempt did not work at all so I was like "screw this" and just gave up. I am reassessing a lot of my business models in 2015.

I just googled "Raleigh sell my house fast" and I'm up to page 2 so maybe I should get back on it. Of course, I don't know if google "knows it is me" or whatever

McSnatch
May 12, 2004
Fun Shoe
If newspapers have been writing articles about my business, or articles involving my business (in a good way), is it possible to harness that for seo in some way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quift
May 11, 2012
Of course Google knows it is you. All results are customised for each and every query.

With regard to the hundred of posts. The volume is not to benefit Google, it is to benefit your writing chops. Wanna get good at witting about a subject? Write till you get good. Online marketing is generally not that hard, it is just hard work. It has a reputation for being hard due to all the shortcuts people try to sell to lazy people.

PR and seo are virtually the same. Get some Adwords for your own company name to make sure you get the traffic. Also, use Google my business to get local search results.

And seo is not a shortsighted scam Altough it has been a domain full of frauds and "experts". Just avoid doing stupid things because an expert has written a blog post about it. That is his marketing, not the advice he gives to clients. Remember the hundred of posts?they are not all good writing...

• Locked thread