Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Leylite
Nov 5, 2011
Yeah, spawn difficulty in this game is pretty much all over the place - sometimes you'll get an easy one and sometimes you'll get a tough one where you're nearly surrounded and have barely any cover. (There's guaranteed to be "some cover" such that you'll have a wall/corner to retreat to, but that might be as little as a tiny piece of thin wall.)

Stuff like this is why I'll always pick up a "bad" weapon if it's a higher burst-damage upgrade, even if it's something slow like a Heavy Crossbow or a Sticky Launcher - being able to kill one or two enemies in a hurry makes a big difference. As dangerous as the Nuke or Super Bazooka can be, they're definitely good enough to deal with most pre-loop bad spawns as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

that's why pop pop rules

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
The Super Bazooka is amazing...so long as you don't blow yourself up. Being able to one-shot dog guardians is fantastic. That said, you should probably not use it in situations where you're ducking in and out of cover to snipe at something, due to the aforementioned "blowing yourself up" thing.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Leylite posted:

Yeah, spawn difficulty in this game is pretty much all over the place - sometimes you'll get an easy one and sometimes you'll get a tough one where you're nearly surrounded and have barely any cover. (There's guaranteed to be "some cover" such that you'll have a wall/corner to retreat to, but that might be as little as a tiny piece of thin wall.)

Stuff like this is why I'll always pick up a "bad" weapon if it's a higher burst-damage upgrade, even if it's something slow like a Heavy Crossbow or a Sticky Launcher - being able to kill one or two enemies in a hurry makes a big difference. As dangerous as the Nuke or Super Bazooka can be, they're definitely good enough to deal with most pre-loop bad spawns as well.

Yeah there was a little tiny wall but then a whole bunch of IDPD spawned on top of me and then a bunch of explo-guardians went off. End result was that 5 seconds into the level the entire screen was filled with projectiles. Can't think of how that would have been survivable.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

PantsBandit posted:

Yeah there was a little tiny wall but then a whole bunch of IDPD spawned on top of me and then a bunch of explo-guardians went off. End result was that 5 seconds into the level the entire screen was filled with projectiles. Can't think of how that would have been survivable.

Melee or Hammerhead. The problem with Hammerhead is having the presence of mind to use it. But if you do remember about it, you can just bore into the wall and make yourself a little hidey-hole.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!
Explosive weapons are also good to make a hole in the wall for cover. That's another reason the super plasma cannon is so good, it can carve out holes without dealing damage to you!

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

I just unlocked my first golden weapon by succeeding at YV's mansion (Crystal, golden grenade launcher) :) Still haven't made it past 5-3 yet, and the only time I got there something killed me before Lil Hunter even showed up.

Gloryhold It!
Sep 22, 2008

Fucking
Adorable
Just picked this back up again. Made it to throne 1 as fish, but died when he decided to roll up instead of down and hit three bullets with my face.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I don't usually use Fish's roll before the level is cleared. It's too hard to control especially since your mouse is usually pointing at the thing you want to roll away from. IMO his real strength is not needing to worry so much about ammo.

EDIT: vvv Confiscate is usually the stronger play IMO since you can leave ammo and medkit chests lying around and pick them up at your leisure. Gun Warrant can be really fun though especially with SPC/trigger fingers.

TooMuchAbstraction fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Feb 28, 2017

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

his two strengths are gun warrant + trigger fingers and his guitar

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
I never not take Gun Warrant, being able to use poo poo like the SPC or double mini gun or super crossbow without worry lets me get so much drat work done. And the beginning of the level is when your DPS matters the most.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

Captain Foo posted:

I just unlocked my first golden weapon by succeeding at YV's mansion (Crystal, golden grenade launcher) :) Still haven't made it past 5-3 yet, and the only time I got there something killed me before Lil Hunter even showed up.

Small Little Hunter spoiler that may be worth knowing to avoid frustration: his shadow shows up before he drops. If you watch for it you're far less likely to get nuked with nowhere to go.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

PantsBandit posted:

Small Little Hunter spoiler that may be worth knowing to avoid frustration: his shadow shows up before he drops. If you watch for it you're far less likely to get nuked with nowhere to go.

I actually beat Lil' Hunter yesterday (which actually makes me 1 for 1 against him :cool: ) and then made it all the way to the throne before blowing myself up with a gatling bazooka. Horror is pretty good! I still ate a lot of crap against Lil' Hunter but I had full health and Strong Spirit so I survived after shoving him full of autocrossbow bolts.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I won! It was my second time making it to the Throne. The first time I got decimated by the energy beam at the beginning, so this time I made sure to look up the bosses attack patterns first. I was all ready to go...and then it died in like six seconds to my super bazooka.

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
Breaking news from the top of the mountain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EN0L0IO3xKE

Horheristo is insane.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I can't imagine playing the game for four hours straight and being able to maintain the focus needed to cope with any amount of loop + CoB.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Got to the Throne for the first time ever the other night! And it was during a daily!

Tonight I spawned on a chompy ammo box in 3-1 and got instagibbed. :( I didn't even know that could happen.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=903530363

Terminally Bored
Oct 31, 2011

Twenty-five dollars and a six pack to my name
I know the userbase is tiny and Sony are charging for updates but did Vlambeer say anything about the vita patch? Game freezes constantly.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Update 99 for PS4 / Vita / Steam has been "coming soon" for literally a year. I think the game is as done as it's going to get. :(

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

So, I remember a while back they nerfed Rabbit Paw so it didn't make the Crown of Guns so incredibly strong with Robot.

Does it actually do, well, anything, if you have Crown of Guns anymore? I can't tell, and gun drops don't seem to be all that more frequent with it. I take it with me anytime I do a Robot run, but I don't see many weapon drops until I hit the Scrapyards if I'm lucky, maybe one every other stage or two until then. That would line up with the 8% chance the wiki says, but I can't find a concrete number anywhere. Anyone know exactly how the mutation interacts with the crown right now?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I'm afraid I don't know the answer to your question, but in any case, be aware that you can dead-end hard against Throne or Throne II if you have Crown of Guns, because their attacks will no longer generate ammo.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747
So I got back into this game something fierce (already looped Steroids and Chicken after my only loop ever being Yung Venuz) and now I'm working towards getting Rogue's B-skin, and I've been reading conflicting information. Does the 25% chance of a large weapon crate per skipped chest stack or is it just a flat 25% for skipping a chest? So like if I skip chests at 2-1, 3-1 and 3-2, will that give me a 75% chance to get a big chest at 3-3, or just 25%?

The reason why I ask is that I figure my best shot to getting to loop rogue with how difficult it is, is to just use the rogue rifle for 1-1 to 3-3 and grab the crown of curses and hope I can get an energy sword out of that 3-3 chest. It does mean getting cursed 4-1, but I can handle that.

What does everyone think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
It stacks, so if you skip four small weapon chests you're guaranteed to get a large one, and I'm pretty sure if you skip that then you just keep getting larges until you open one up.

As for Rogue strategy, the starting rifle is pretty good and can carry you pretty far. Personally I'd be more inclined to lean on an autocrossbow for getting to the first loop; pre-loop there isn't much projectile spam and also rather less ammo to help you maintain that energy sword. But both are great weapons and I'd be happy to find either.

When I was unlocking Melting's B-skin, my best runs by a long shot were the ones that got one of autocrossbow, splinter pistol, or super bazooka. That last is obviously less good than the other two, for potential for self-harm (sans Boiling Veins) and lack of piercing. But the point is that big-damage projectiles are very good in this game.

• Locked thread