Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otAMLtlf2N4 ***NSFW***

Any ideas on the weaponry used? South Africa was under embargo from everyone else, so had to resort to producing their own weapons.

Would things have been different had the US supplied weapons directly?

Fun reading: 32 Battalion, one of the most feared in the conflict.

http://www.vice.com/en_dk/read/32-battalion-409-v17n4

bluegoon fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Dec 23, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
I think it was this

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

more like this

Helldump Immunity.
Aug 2, 2013

Fuck you
Phased plasma rifle in the 40 Watt range.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
They weren't all that fancy, really

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

I feel like I should know what this is from, but I don't. Help me out here.

Mike-o
Dec 25, 2004

Now I'm in your room
And I'm in your bed

Grimey Drawer
Elysium

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
I know that the South Africans were developing a nuke back in the 80's in case they were invaded by their neighbors, and that they developed their own domestic arms manufacturers, but de Klerk ended the nuke program in 1990 and I don't know about the state of their conventional arms industry.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
Found this article from late 2013 about SA arms manufacturing.

http://www.ipsnews.net/2013/12/south-africas-arms-industry-advanced-global-south/

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

related, one of my fav conspiracy theories:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_African_Airways_Flight_295#David_Klatzow.27s_theory

quote:

Klatzow put forward a theory that the fire likely involved substances that would not normally be carried on a passenger aircraft and that the fire was not likely a wood, cardboard, or plastic fire.[9] South Africa was under an arms embargo at the time; the South African government therefore had to buy arms clandestinely.[36] His theory postulates that the South African government placed a rocket system in the cargo hold, and that vibration caused unstable ammonium perchlorate to ignite.[37]

Klatzow contends that conversation of the crew suggests that the fire started above the South China Sea, shortly after takeoff; he believes that this indicates that the voice recorder was not working for a long period of the flight or that the crew turned it off (Cockpit Voice Recorders in aircraft at that time only recorded 30 minutes[38] ). If this is the case, he says it is then likely that an unknown number of the passengers would have already died from smoke inhalation from the first fire. Klatzow believes that theory is consistent with reports that find most of the passengers were in the first class area of the plane at the front as smoke from the back of the plane forced them to move forward. The captain did not land the aircraft directly after the fire, Klatzow argues, because if he had he would have been arrested for endangering the lives of his passengers and it would have caused a major problem for South Africa, costing the country and SAA R400 million. Klatzow argues that the captain, who was also a reservist in the South African Air Force, would therefore have been ordered to carry on to South Africa in hopes of making it there before the aircraft's structural integrity gave in.[39] These points have been refuted by others.[40]

This would seem pretty out there, but

quote:

The South African military was involved in the manufacture of the drug Ecstasy during the apartheid era, the Truth and Reconciliation Commission has heard.

Scientist Johan Koekemoer told the commission that he made more than 900kg of Ecstasy on behalf of the military shortly before the end of apartheid.

Mr Koekemoer said he had been led to believe that the drug - with a street value of $200 million - would be used by the military to incapacitate its enemies.

But he said he made Ecstasy reluctantly, as he was not convinced of its effectiveness.

. . .

In his testimony, Dr Koekemoer also confirmed his laboratory had experimented on other chemical and nerve agents, including the use of extracts of cannabis as a means of riot control.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/africa/109853.stm

900kg is enough to supply a continent, and a lot of people wonder where that went.

Best Friends fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Dec 26, 2014

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Amsterdam?

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

That is one of the going theories. A large influx of brown pills of extremely high quality showed up apparently, but I bet every batch of high quality stuff had some "this is the Apartheid stash" rumors around it.

Adding to the mystery, here is a Vice article of questionable veracity

http://www.vice.com/read/wouter-basson-dr-death-south-africa-ecstasy-957

Though the details seem sketchy, that the purpose of the program being to raise money seems very possible. Ecstasy is a pretty lovely form of crowd control, 900kg is a whole lot, they were bad people, and they needed lots of money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dingleberry
Aug 21, 2011

Bolow posted:

Amsterdam?

It went to Liberia.
That's why the rebels were so wacky.
Liberian Civil War rebels were tripping balls in their rave get ups.

• Locked thread