Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwrV2Prncv0

post your favorite minecraft videos

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

because the nips, though eternally crafty with their car and electronics exports, are of inferior intelligence to the white man and must rely on software to mask their inability to speak proper American

Demicol
Nov 8, 2009

Because they are afraid of using their real voice in case someone in the real life recognizes them.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Demicol posted:

Because they are afraid of using their real voice in case someone in the real life recognizes them.
its this one

its the same reason if you look up videos of dudes doing guitar covers of anime songs they're all in horse masks or masks of the scream guy or whatever

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whlr5I2l5yw

i cant explain why this guy has a cat's paw glove on his guitar, though

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

Demicol posted:

How would anyone recognize them, they all look the same.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Demicol posted:

Who cares if someone recognizes some random person from their voice in a video game video?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Wandle Cax posted:

Who cares if someone recognizes some random person from their voice in a video game video?
because despite every goon playing a dumb anime game and going 'well i guess japan is just full of weirdos!' nerdy hobbies and interests are actually really looked down on in japan. the worst you'd get for being a turbonerd in america is a 'oh whatever' and maybe a few people rolling their eyes, but it could actually impact you professionally in japan. it's not legal to infect gamers with aids or anything and the harsh reaction to it is fading a bit with time (there were a bunch of hosed up child murders in japan in the early 90s and when the police raided the dude's house they found it filled with nothing but anime poo poo, and violent crimes are so rare in japan that serial killers really stick out in the public conscious) but if your boss is an old curmudgeonly dude, and you're in japan so he probably is, better safe than sorry.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
What counts as a nerdy hobby then, all video games and anime or just especially nerdy ones. Because i envisioned japan as a place where everyone plays anime video games happily together wherever they go.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

if you play monster hunter sometimes or play smartphone games on your many subway rides, youre cool

if you own all the video game consoles, youre not cool

if you read a couple of manga or watch a couple of specific anime, youre cool

if you own anime figurines and watch like half the anime that come out every year, youre not cool

basically if you have a casual interest that you can leave at any point, you're good, but if you have any sort of long term, vested interest in the hobby, people are going to judge you at least a little, even if you steer clear of stuff that has tons of upskirts and kawaii catgirls. Which is why that sort of thing slips into things that aren't even specifically made for people to get their rocks off to, and why the stuff that is made for people to get their rocks off to is so extreme to the point of being ridiculous: if people are going to be judging you anyway, you might as well go whole hog.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Wandle Cax posted:

What counts as a nerdy hobby then, all video games and anime or just especially nerdy ones. Because i envisioned japan as a place where everyone plays anime video games happily together wherever they go.

Depends on your age and job I would imagine, Japan is really weird about its cultural stuff surrounding a lot of jobs, especiallty office work and work for large companies. The impression I always got is that once you sign up for a job at a company, you basically sign your entire life over to them or something and you represent them all the time whatever you're doing. The reason all animes ever are set in school is because as soon as you stop being in school and get a job your entire personal life basically goes down the shitter.

Mostly I learned that while Japan has cool stuff in it I am super glad I don't live there.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Interesting stuff, i haven't really thought about how japanese stuff is viewed and consumed in japan itself, seems they take such things more seriously than in the western world. is there also a view that games and anime are more for children and not to be enjoyed by adults once they become professionals?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Can we tile this and make it the background to ADTRW

ropa
Sep 7, 2006

Endorph posted:

if you play monster hunter sometimes or play smartphone games on your many subway rides, youre cool

if you own all the video game consoles, youre not cool

if you read a couple of manga or watch a couple of specific anime, youre cool

if you own anime figurines and watch like half the anime that come out every year, youre not cool

basically if you have a casual interest that you can leave at any point, you're good, but if you have any sort of long term, vested interest in the hobby, people are going to judge you at least a little, even if you steer clear of stuff that has tons of upskirts and kawaii catgirls. Which is why that sort of thing slips into things that aren't even specifically made for people to get their rocks off to, and why the stuff that is made for people to get their rocks off to is so extreme to the point of being ridiculous: if people are going to be judging you anyway, you might as well go whole hog.

yes whatever, being cool in japan, like in the rest of the world, is very subjective

i bet there's places in japan with a bunch of cool guys with a bunch of friends that get laid every week and watch all animes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ropa posted:

i bet there's places in japan with a bunch of cool guys with a bunch of friends that get laid every week and watch all animes
thats called akihabara

• Locked thread