Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Pipe rifles and snack cakes.
JANUARY 3RD, 1999

Thunder rolled across the plains, great forks of lightning leading a charge in the sky against some unknowable foe. The hail soon followed, specks at first, but soon grew to silver dollars of white ice tumbling down into the wild grains and pinging off the old farmhouse's roof. The Krazmersky's watched the hail through the windows, debated a while, and decided they'd only resort to the cellar if conditions worsened. They preferred their records to the radio, so they didn't hear the news. They didn't call anyone, so they were oblivious to the fact that their lines had been cut. They didn't know about the incident at Penitentiary, nor the Mears' Kitchen truck full of dynamite that decided to make its delivery at 60 MPH straight into the rec yard wall. Maybe Mrs. Krazmersky saw the face in the window, but convinced herself it was just a trick of the light. Maybe Mr. Krazmersky really did hear the back door squeak open, but with that thunder rattling every pane of glass in the house, who could tell? The dog was quiet and the house felt safe, so there wasn't anything to worry about.

And then a man was pointing a pistol at their heads, orange coveralls soaking wet as he calmly told them to get the gently caress up and follow his commands. "Do what we say and no one dies." The man looked over his shoulder and motioned at the figures standing near the back door. "Icepick, bring in the others."

— — —

Info

Welcome to Jailbreak, perhaps the most famous Unknown Armies scenario this side of Fly To Heaven. The setting is 1999, and one hour ago followers of the inmate "Father Freedom" broke him out of Surrey State Medium Security Penitentiary. Seeing an opportunity for their own freedom, Four other prisoners (Morton Willits, Steve Updike, Juan Riccinto and David “Icepick” Leyner) grouped together, attacked and kidnapped Corrections Officer Jake Spundie and made their escape on foot. Reaching the highway as a hailstorm began, the convicts stopped and hijacked the vehicle of lawyer Janet Mattice and her client Donna Ngwashi, and with three hostages in tow, sought out a place to lay low. That happened to be the Krazmersky residence, an old farmhouse occupied by two more innocents to point a gun at.

Five hostages, four prisoners, and plenty of secrets among them. Let's play some Jailbreak!

— — —

Characters

All the characters for Jailbreak are pre-genned in the scenario, so all you need to do is post interest with your most and second most wanted character and we'll see who ends up with who. As I'd like to run it with no GMPCs, I'm looking ideally for nine players. If you don't have One Shots or the rulebook, contact me on the IRC room below and I'll help you out.

Morton Willits—The Quiet One

Steve Updike—”She Was Askin’ For It.”

Juan Riccinto—”Hey, I’m Innocent!”

David “Icepick” Leyner—”Can’t We Talk This Out?”

Officer Jake Spundie—One Tough Screw

Janet Mattice—”Listen, I’m On Your Side! I’m a Lawyer!”

Donna Ngwashi—Concerned Parent

Uder Krazmersky—Immigrant Inventor

Ella Krazmersky—Loving Wife

After you choose, all you need is a basic understanding of how to play UA and you're good. Also, despite it being in the book, I'm reposting Six Ways To Stop A Fight here as it's pretty relevant for this game.

Unknown Armies posted:

Somewhere out there is someone who had loving parents, watched clouds on a summer's day, fell in love, lost a friend, is kind to small animals, and knows how to say "please" and "thank you," and yet somehow the two of you are going to end up in a dirty little room with one knife between you and you are going to have to kill that human being.

It's a terrible thing. Not just because he's come to the same realization and wants to survive just as much as you do, meaning he's going to try and puncture your internal organs to set off a cascading trauma effect that ends with you voiding your bowels, dying alone and removed from everything you've ever loved. No, it's a terrible thing because somewhere along the way you could have made a different choice. You could have avoided that knife, that room, and maybe even found some kind of common ground between the two of you. Or at least, you might have divvied up some turf and left each other alone. That would've been a lot smarter, wouldn't it? Even dogs are smart enough to do that. Now you're staring into the eyes of a fellow human and in a couple minutes one of you is going to be vomiting to the rhythm of a fading heartbeat. The survivor is going to remember this night for the rest of his or her life.

Six Ways To Stop A Fight

So before you make a grab for that knife, you should maybe think about a few things. This moment is frozen in time. You can still make better choices.

Surrender. Is your pride really worth a human life? Drop your weapon, put up your hands, and tell them you're ready to cut a deal. You walk, and in exchange you give them something they need. Sidestep the current agenda. Offer them something unrelated to your dispute, and negociate to find a solution.

Disarm. Knife on the table? Throw it out the window. Opponent with a gun? Dodge until he's out of bullets. Deescalate the situation to fists, if possible. You can settle your differences with some brawling and still walk away, plus neither one of you has to face a murder charge or a criminal investigation.

Rechannel. So you have a conflict. Settle it in a smarter way. Arm wrestle, play cards, have a scavenger hunt, a drinking contest, anything that lets you establish a winner and a loser. Smart gamblers bet nothing they aren't willing to lose. Why put your life on the line?

Pass the Buck. Is there somebody more powerful then either one of you who is going to be angry that you two are coming to blows? Pretend you're all in the mafia and you can't just kill each other without kicking your dispute upstairs first. Let that symbolic superior make a decision. You both gain clout for not spilling blood.

Call the Cops. If you've got a grievance against somebody, let the police do your dirty work. File charges. Get a restraining order. Sue him in civil court for wrongful harm. You can beat him down without throwing a punch.

Run Away. The hell with it. Who needs this kind of heat? Blow town, get a job some place else, build a new power base. Is the world really too small for the both of you? It's a big planet out there.

Also I've made an IRC room! Come join #UAjailbreak on SynIRC to livechat about sticking knives in other people's faces.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
Wulf, you're loving crazy and I love it. Let's do this.

First choice is Officer Jake Spundie, second choice is Morton Willits.

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

More of a furnace, really
I'd like to play Uder Krazmersky or, failing that, Donna Ngwashi.

Swags
Dec 9, 2006
I know nothing about UA. Are the rules easy to learn? If so, I'd like to play Janet Mattice. If she's not available, I'll play David “Icepick” Leyner.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Swags posted:

I know nothing about UA. Are the rules easy to learn?

Same question here.

Also, I think I know the story. I played a mafia game somebody ran and the character names are all the same. Would that make me ineligible to play?

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

UA is actually pretty basic, requiring only one die roll for everything. I have no problem with newbie players, but if you want to familiarize yourself, I'd recommend reading chapters 3 through 5 in the corebook to get a feel of how to play.

MildManeredManikin posted:

Also, I think I know the story. I played a mafia game somebody ran and the character names are all the same. Would that make me ineligible to play?

Nope, you can still join in! Just remember: OOC knowledge can't be used IC.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
First choice Ella Krazmersky, second choice Morton Willits.

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES
Uder, then Icepick

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

So is this cancelled?

EDIT: Jesus I didn't realize it's been almost two months until I made this post. Still, would like official confirmation that it's not happening.

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Woops, completely forgot to lock this thread! Yeah, I didn't reach the player minimum so it's a no go. I might do a UA game in the future though, so be on the lookout.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrorforge
Dec 22, 2013

Okay, thanks.

• Locked thread