Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

CestMoi posted:

hahaha he posted pretending not to be himself. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3257918&userid=160190. Where should I start with this intriguing, and very cool, writer.

I guess if you really want to read him go with Shoplifting from American Appare, maybe tapie but imo its really disappointing. The only interesting thing about Lin in a literary standpoint is the movement that he kind of was the head of. He was one of a bunch of dudes that were in that weird period where people were writing kind of low grade creative writing course level fiction and a lot of confessionals on myspace and blogger right before self publishing was something you could do through amazon and get screwed out of tons of money. He was seen as the more uhhh high level literary guy so people paid more attention to him as he got stuff into things like Granta or wrote articles for literary publications (there was one where if I remember correctly put writers on different levels and I want to say pynchon was at the top but noted that he would never have or try to get girls through myspace.) He kind of spear headed the jump to legit publishing at independent publishers that other myspace/blogger writers were making the same jump like Tucker Max, Sam Pink, Megan Boyle and others I cant think of right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

CestMoi posted:

hahaha he posted pretending not to be himself. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3257918&userid=160190. Where should I start with this intriguing, and very cool, writer.

Wow this is the best thread on the forums right now.

Stravinsky posted:

I guess if you really want to read him go with Shoplifting from American Appare, maybe tapie but imo its really disappointing. The only interesting thing about Lin in a literary standpoint is the movement that he kind of was the head of. He was one of a bunch of dudes that were in that weird period where people were writing kind of low grade creative writing course level fiction and a lot of confessionals on myspace and blogger right before self publishing was something you could do through amazon and get screwed out of tons of money. He was seen as the more uhhh high level literary guy so people paid more attention to him as he got stuff into things like Granta or wrote articles for literary publications (there was one where if I remember correctly put writers on different levels and I want to say pynchon was at the top but noted that he would never have or try to get girls through myspace.) He kind of spear headed the jump to legit publishing at independent publishers that other myspace/blogger writers were making the same jump like Tucker Max, Sam Pink, Megan Boyle and others I cant think of right now.

You've read Taipei? I didn't think people did that.

the black husserl fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Jan 11, 2015

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

The only people who read tapie were paid reviewers, easton ellis, and me because I was tricked

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Tao Lin is a boring writer and a shitheel human being. You're better off skipping his work entirely unless you enjoy prose that reads like a series of gchat transcripts.

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013

CombineThresher posted:

Tao Lin is a boring writer and a shitheel human being. You're better off skipping his work entirely unless you enjoy prose that reads like a series of gchat transcripts.

Fresh take

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

Stravinsky posted:

Making breakfast?
Joanne Harris. I would trust her to make croissants by hand.

quote:

Being a loving father/mother to your kids?
Umberto Eco. Epitome of dadliness.

quote:

Being a tender lover?
Leonard Cohen :allears:

quote:

Could build all of the ikea furniture in your apartment without getting frustrated?
Hilary Mantel. Seems like a lady who would not lose her cool under pressure.

quote:

Who would win in a no-holds barred royal rumble?
Charles Bukowski do you even have to ask

quote:

Most likely to stiff you on a ounce of weed but you will still go to them because you know what they are ok dude whose parents own a jetski
Lord Byron

quote:

Walking your dog?
Paul Auster, demonstrated fan of Dogs

quote:

Explaining which subs group is the best to get the evengalion rebuilds from?
Edgar Allan Poe

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013

Rabbit Hill posted:

Charles Bukowski do you even have to ask

this was my first thought but then if you actually think about his books chinaski almost always gets his rear end kicked

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer
Hmmmm, you're right. Ken Kesey, then.

E: Ha, wikipedia says he was a wrestler in his youth.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Breakfast: Thomas Harris
Parent: Kurt Vonnegut
Tender Lover:Jhumpa Lahiri
Ikea Furniture: Italo Calvino
Rumble: Hunter S. Thompson
Stiff an Ounce of Weed: Jonathan Franzen
Dog Walking: Virginia Woolf
Evangalion Subs: Yeah, definitely DFW

midnightclimax
Dec 3, 2011

by XyloJW
Making breakfast?
Hunter Thompson

Anais Nin

Being a tender lover?
Anne Sexton

Could build all of the ikea furniture in your apartment without getting frustrated?
Proust

John Irving is a wrestler or something

Most likely to stiff you on a ounce of weed but you will still go to them because you know what they are ok dude whose parents own a jetski
Eh someone said Lord Byron already PFFT .... Stephen Hawking

Walking your dog?
James Franco

?

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

Clearly you haven't read any Nin cause she tore two households apart. I think. My eyes were full of sweat when I read Henry and June.

a dog from hell
Oct 18, 2009

by zen death robot

Stravinsky posted:

Making breakfast?
Being a tender lover?
Walking your dog?

Kafka
Bukowski
Bukowski
Robinson Jeffers
Bukowski
Burroughs
Schopenhauer
There haven't been any writers born since TV was invented.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Stravinsky posted:

Being a tender lover?

• Locked thread