Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013

Juanito posted:

Not if OP has permission or owns that site, but otherwise.. he should update the images so we're not using their bandwidth.

All six or so of us? I think it's probably ok.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013

Mr. Squishy posted:

You like this one? It's ugly, boring and unoriginal. An inexplicable departure from the American cover, a custom work by the author's wife. Thankfully reinstated for the British paperback.

I think it accurately conveys the substance of the novel. I like it better than the lovely playing card thing the wife did.

Mr. Squishy posted:

and there's a joke to the cover for A Frolic of his Own: a Rothko-ish painting by his daughter... when she was 12.

hah. that's a cool, I didn't know that.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Yiggy posted:

The adaptation of the Persian Poem, The Conference of the Birds by Peter Sis. Found this last September on a book run in Chicago at Bookworks. Really nice store, has a lot of old paperbacks. Has some dedicated shelves on beat poets and lit. I was familiar with the poem but this looked like a weird edition of it which is why I picked it off the shelf. After cracking the spine and seeing the paper I could tell this was a special book. The one I found was a first edition, but found some hardcover editions of later printings nearer to home and the paper quality and binding was all comparable. The paperback edition isn't as nice though and you lose some of the rich texture in the illustrations and the paper.

Oh man I wish I had this version when I read it. That is sick as hell.

Stravinsky
May 31, 2011

Speleothing posted:

As a guy who works as a mover part-time, let me just say that books are loving heavy.

If your moving and have a lot of books my advice is to put them in several small box as opposed to all in one large rear end box that you need a pallet to move around just so that you don't kill yourself. Or donate/give away all the books you do not actually need or want.

metricchip
Jul 16, 2014

Stravinsky posted:

If your moving and have a lot of books my advice is to put them in several small box as opposed to all in one large rear end box that you need a pallet to move around just so that you don't kill yourself.

I made the mistake of putting all of my books in a huge box. You only make that mistake once.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Ornamented Death posted:

They aren't terribly expensive unless you're looking for a fine copy; The Lottery and The Haunting of Hill House are the Jackson books that go for big bucks.

Oh cool, that's good to know!

RE moving books:
I distinctly remember the first time I moved I thought it would be cool to put all my books in a big trunk so they would all be in the same place and therefore make unpacking a snap. :haw:

After actually trying to move that fuckin thing I re-thought my clever plan and just started sticking them in random boxes.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Three good covers for Leibowitz:

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013
Not just a cover, but cool stuff inside. Sorry these pictures aren't good, I'm no good at photography.

I have this edition of Hamlet. Pretty nice, got some great essays in the front and good notes throughout:

but the best thing about is is the illustrations inside, which are made from laser-cutting paper. Here's Hamlet Sr.'s ghost:

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
I love books, reading em, looking for them, just flipping through them. For their content, surely, but as objects almost just as much. Ergo I love this thread. Anyways, onto content.

Suggestivism is a book documenting an art exhibit of the same name. The cover is blue leather. This is one of my favorites because I like studying the brain and I enjoy word and letter art, so having the title Suggestivism suggesting a brain was up my alley (Its all in your head!). The endpaper includes quotes from the artists. First half of the book documents the art which includes painting, sculpture, mixed media, but mostly painting and the second half includes interviews with the artists. Published by Gingko press.

The next book is The Thing The Book: A Tribute to the Book as Object. Thats fairly self explanatory. The book is an art exhibit in book form. Thats what all art books are aiming to be, sure, but the presentation is a dissection of the different parts of the book, with each part given to a different artist to interpret. So one artist does the cover, the other the table of contents, another the end plates, another the book ribbon, etc. In addition to this there are essays on the various elements of Books as well as book art. Published by Chronicle books.

Paperworks and Paperplay are also art books with the focus on paper art. As such they took a little more time with the cover design. On Paperworks the bookjacket comes inside out. On Paperplay the edges are perforated and torn, and the paper is like the tearout inserts you’d find in magazines. Both books are more or less simple exhibitions of various artists working in the paper medium. Both published by Gingko press who make some really nice books.

Next is A Gentle Madness by Nicholas A Basbanes. This is a non-fiction book about bibliophiles and book collectors. The book jacket has a ton of gilt. The binding, cover paper and end paper is all very nice too. Essentially this book is a love letter to book nuts and collectors, and in that spirit is actually a nicely put together book. At least the hardcover edition, that is. He wrote several follow up books, which are also nicely bound. The cover on the second one, Patience and Fortitude, also nice with copper leaf. The third cover takes a different direction.

Yiggy fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jan 13, 2015

dogcrash truther
Nov 2, 2013

Yiggy posted:

The next book is The Thing The Book: A Tribute to the Book as Object. Thats fairly self explanatory. The book is an art exhibit in book form. Thats what all art books are aiming to be, sure, but the presentation is a dissection of the different parts of the book, with each part given to a different artist to interpret. So one artist does the cover, the other the table of contents, another the end plates, another the book ribbon, etc. In addition to this there are essays on the various elements of Books as well as book art. Published by Chronicle books.

I didn't even read to the end of your post before buying this book. That looks absolutely phenomenal, as does everything else you posted.

robix smash
Jul 21, 2003

Mario is Missing
I read books for their cover all the time. The next one I'm going to read for its cover is Lovers at the Chameleon Club, Paris 1932.

a kitten posted:

I literally bought this book simply because I fell in love with the cover, as an introduction to Murakami it wasn't necessarily the best choice I could have made, but drat if I don't still love it.

it's a great concept but the copy I got from amazon wasn't even close to lining up right. The paperback is actually nice looking too. Both are Chip Kidd I think.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy
This seems like a good place to gush about one of my favorite pairs of illustrators, Leo and Diane Dillon, a husband and wife team that left an incredible mark on the children's and speculative fiction illustration world. So much so I would be surprised to find a fan of science fiction and fantasy in the US who was unfamiliar with at least some of their work, even if they didn't know the names of the artists involved. Personally, I grew up in a bookstore my parents owned and the esthetic appreciation I had of the Dillion's work lead me to some of the best books I've ever read.

These picture books inspired me to seek out similar art with lead to me picking up...

Some of you are probably saying that that's all well and good, but they're all kids books. The Dillon's had an extensive catalog of covers for adult novels as well. I am super biased towards their lithographs(?) which the did more often later in their career. But they also did some stunning woodcuts that merge their very mid century surrealism style with sharp, bold images.

Some of you might have this copy of Beowulf on the shelf right now.

or this Julius Caesar

I wish I had this Tale of Two Cities

or this Tolstoy

Finally, any summery of the Dillon's work would be incomplete without mentioning their relationship with Harlan Ellison who got them into the field by having them do covers for his story collections. There are a lot to choose from, but I'm partial to these three.

This is just the tip of the iceberg for their work, so if you like it you should look up more. They did a lot of amazing stuff.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

there wolf posted:

This seems like a good place to gush about one of my favorite pairs of illustrators, Leo and Diane Dillon, a husband and wife team that left an incredible mark on the children's and speculative fiction illustration world. So much so I would be surprised to find a fan of science fiction and fantasy in the US who was unfamiliar with at least some of their work, even if they didn't know the names of the artists involved. Personally, I grew up in a bookstore my parents owned and the esthetic appreciation I had of the Dillion's work lead me to some of the best books I've ever read.

NEAT!

I have like half those covers, but had never thought about the common style or the artist(s) of them. Thanks a great deal for pointing that out.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Harry Potter, King of the Rats

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.

• Locked thread