Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

THE PENETRATOR posted:

i mean i actually paid full price for grimrock 1.. i should get my mopneys worth out of it at least?
Do whatever you feel is best, man. I'd probably be tripping over myself telling you to play it if I hadn't also played 2, but you already own 1 sooooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

No Such Thing posted:

I enjoyed grimrock 1 and then everyone said it was bad and I just can't have that again, my heart can't loving take it.

Almost all the things that are seemingly competent callbacks to older things are actually revealed to be bad after the initial nostalgia has dried up so just get in while it's hot.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
19.19 is out of my price range lol

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
i'd buy it if i wasnt also buying arma 3 for someone i barely know thru the internet

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Wormskull posted:

Almost all the things that are seemingly competent callbacks to older things are actually revealed to be bad after the initial nostalgia has dried up so just get in while it's hot.

Yea I get it, I liked the emphasis on puzzles and secret zones but the combat was so dumb I looked at a team build guide just so I could steamroll through all that bullshit. Still I enjoyed it enough that I didn't have crippling buyers remorse

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Well if you gotta look up a guide for how to play a single player game then that's the first warning sign.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
If you'd just look up a guide for a team just play on easy instead. It's gonna give you the same desired effect of trivializing the combat and you have the added bonus of playing the party you want to play. Grimrock isn't super difficult to minmax either, and honestly it's very hard to gently caress up a build in such a way that makes the game unplayable.

THE PENETRATOR posted:

i mean i actually paid full price for grimrock 1.. i should get my mopneys worth out of it at least?

Don't ever force yourself to play a game if you don't want to but I would say try 1 before buying 2, because 2 is really just more of the same but refined and a lot bigger.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
if you play through 1 i think a thing to do is specialize instead of generalize because it's better to be really good at a couple of things

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Doctor Goat posted:

if you play through 1 i think a thing to do is specialize instead of generalize because it's better to be really good at a couple of things

This is true in 2 as well. There's a limited number of good weapons in either game so if you have three dudes who use swords only one of them will be worthwhile, the other will be ok and the third will be dead weight. Make each character very good at what they do, and only that, generally.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

Heavy Lobster posted:

This is true in 2 as well. There's a limited number of good weapons in either game so if you have three dudes who use swords only one of them will be worthwhile, the other will be ok and the third will be dead weight. Make each character very good at what they do, and only that, generally.

this is good advice, i think, and i will follow it. for grimrock 1 cuz the 2nd one is too expensive atm

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Heavy Lobster posted:

If you'd just look up a guide for a team just play on easy instead. It's gonna give you the same desired effect of trivializing the combat and you have the added bonus of playing the party you want to play. Grimrock isn't super difficult to minmax either, and honestly it's very hard to gently caress up a build in such a way that makes the game unplayable.

Don't ever force yourself to play a game if you don't want to but I would say try 1 before buying 2, because 2 is really just more of the same but refined and a lot bigger.

That's not at all correct, the game relied heavily on elemental resistances and deep skill investments that it was extremely easy to gently caress up a build and lose the game to simply being whittled down by the last 2 floors.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

Heavy Lobster posted:

unarmed combat for everyone. no downside.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

No Such Thing posted:

That's not at all correct, the game relied heavily on elemental resistances and deep skill investments that it was extremely easy to gently caress up a build and lose the game to simply being whittled down by the last 2 floors.

I didn't know that, I guess I kinda just lucked into success. I'm very stingy with potions so maybe that helped.

ROBO_ERECTUS
Sep 5, 2007

Let me take you for a ride.
I chose the premade party just to see what the developers wanted your ideal party to be, by the looks of it, a good mix is important, but choosing what skills you want to specialize is not important right away, but an alchemist is almost a requirement. Also rats are loving sick, I made mine the party leader because they are durable as gently caress.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Psycobladder posted:

I chose the premade party just to see what the developers wanted your ideal party to be, by the looks of it, a good mix is important, but choosing what skills you want to specialize is not important right away, but an alchemist is almost a requirement. Also rats are loving sick, I made mine the party leader because they are durable as gently caress.

What is the default party after all? I'm away from the game so I can't check but am curious. My leader was my sick minotaur knight lady who had like twice as much HP as everyone else. I think she died literally once, at the end-end boss.

grate deceiver
Jul 10, 2009

Just a funny av. Not a redtext or an own ok.
grid based movement is fine and cool, but combined with real time combat its the most awkward and annoying poo poo ever. i tried this game for a while, made it to the first boss fight and if the rest of the game is just more of that, then its prob not for me.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

I liked Grimrock 1, but I can totally understand why people didn't since it definitely has issues.

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001
game is good OP

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

Silver Striker posted:

I liked Grimrock 1, but I can totally understand why people didn't since it definitely has issues.
yeah. not gonna lie, i almost gave up at the level with the all the raptors. but overall, the design of the dungeon felt so drat satisfying. finding secrets and clearing levels was pretty great.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

So I started a Hard mode, no-map, one-use crystal, only-save-at-crystal run and it's kind of a mixed bag. On one hand it is really cool to play the game again and actually be worried that every little thing might be a real danger, having a limited number of saves means that you just end up doing a shitton of the same content over and over again before you get to the stuff that kills you, and then it kills you but maybe you get one more enemy. I have a lot of the system mastery aspects of the game down but execution has a ton of variation from fight to fight, even against the same enemies on another continue.

The no map thing is fine, I wouldn't do it on my first run because I'm not much of a graph paper guy but on my second playthrough it hasn't really had any effect on my play. I read in some thread that someone was going to do all the difficulty things like this too, only for his first completely blind playthrough of the game, and I can't imagine how unfun it's going to be for him, but anyone who's stupid enough to do that deserves it.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

How is it stupid to do that.

ROBO_ERECTUS
Sep 5, 2007

Just fought a giant rattling pirate carrying a ship's cannon around, that was pretty cool, but now I'm stuck again, trying to figure out where to go next.

ROBO_ERECTUS
Sep 5, 2007

the default party is a human warrior and Mage, rattling alchemist, and Minotaur barbarian. My party is starting to look beefier, I'm at the point where my Minotaur can use 2 handed weapons with one hand. Some of the secrets are extremely well hidden I must say.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Wormskull posted:

How is it stupid to do that.

Grimrock as a series is pretty well rooted in system mastery and going in completely blind is a good way to put in a lot of hours into characters that end up not being at all viable, or end up just having a dead weight character, both of which are really more convenience issues than anything. The real problem is with the one save per crystal thing, mainly to do with the spacing of them - because of the way you make progress in game the guy could end up using his last crystal and then he has to do about four hours of content totally blind and if his party dies once (which is extremely easy to do on hard mode because enemies hit really hard) then he has to redo all of that over again flawlessly.

Basically, using up all of the limited saves isn't just a high probability, it's something that's absolutely going to happen, and then it's up to this brand new player to clear the entire endgame, without any knowledge of what's going to happen, in one sitting, without dying ever, on the difficulty mode where monsters can two-shot anyone who isn't super tanky for a good portion of the game. Sure it's possible, but I have no idea why slamming your head against a wall for hours at a time is fun.

Cut out the one use crystal thing and honestly I think it would be a very fun way to play the game blind, and in fact it's probably what I'm going to do for Grimrock 3, but always worrying if saving put me into an enormous point of no return sounds absolutely miserable.

• Locked thread