Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:
(pause)

Cut off by another character, and there's a noticeable break between the first line ending and the second beginning, or the voice actor for the first line is incompetent and instead of sounding like they were going to finish their thought, they deliver their line like it was supposed to have ended right there in the middle. I can't think of any game that doesn't do this and it's loving awful every single time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

*dialogue sounds stilted and unnatural with no sense of flow or interaction* yes you can see here we are aiming for a truly cinematic game with very human characters *has never actually held a conversation with a human*

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Mr. Pumroy posted:

*dialogue sounds stilted and unnatural with no sense of flow or interaction* yes you can see here we are aiming for a truly cinematic game with very human characters *has never actually held a conversation with a human*

"They have curved swords, I'm telling you! Currved, swoords!!" (Todd Howard voice) When you're wandering around Skyrim you'll find that there are a lot of cultural differences between the natives and the people who have made their home in the province after crises in their own homelands. We've recorded a lot of incidental dialogue like this to really drive ho- "They have c

resting bort face
Jun 2, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
otoh, i liked how in mass effect you could interrupt other people by making a choice before they finished talking and it sounded pretty natural. added a level of participation to the game. maybe i'm misremembering.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
i like when a character changes voice actors mid-conversation, i think i've experienced that in one of the fallout or elder scrolls games

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Gobblecoque posted:

i like when a character changes voice actors mid-conversation, i think i've experienced that in one of the fallout or elder scrolls games

That happened alot in Oblivion. It was the same voice actor but they'd just go from "old begger" to "generic imperial" when asking a generic question or w/e.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Ibram Gaunt posted:

That happened alot in Oblivion. It was the same voice actor but they'd just go from "old begger" to "generic imperial" when asking a generic question or w/e.

Oblivion VA is epic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FlRClpaqEo

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

this was one of the things alpha protocol did pretty well. you had a timer for your response so conversation never just stopped while you considered a response.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Maybe don't play casual games, OP.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
it happens a lot in movies too

they maybe shouldn't tell the first va they're going to be cut off during recording and have the audio dude tell them to stop talking at some point and then run the two lines over each other a bit i don't know

it irritates me too

Mr. Pumroy
May 20, 2001

okay now in this scene your character is communicating over a staticy radio. just say this disjointed series of words and put awkward pauses in between, we'll edit in radio crackles later

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

You're comparing yourself to me? Ha! You're not even good enough to be my fake.

Complexcalibur
Mar 11, 2007

NUOOOOAAAGH

Seshoho Cian posted:

You're comparing yourself to me? Ha! You're not even good enough to be my fake.

That game actually has characters cutting each other off, although I'm not sure if that was intentional or not.

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

You raise an intriguing point, I'll have to Check it out on my own time later.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Complexcalibur posted:

That game actually has characters cutting each other off, although I'm not sure if that was intentional or not.

This is why Sonic Adventure 2 is the best Sonic game ever made. :colbert:

Seriously, the voice acting is loving gold. This happens constantly in all the cutscenes in SA2. It's either awkward pauses between lines, or Sonic just straight-up yelling "I'LL MAKE YOU EAT THOSE WORDS" before Shadow has actually finished insulting him.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTdrLC3nqhw

music completely drowning them out

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Heavy Lobster posted:

(pause)

Cut off by another character, and there's a noticeable break between the first line ending and the second beginning, or the voice actor for the first line is incompetent and instead of sounding like they were going to finish their thought, they deliver their line like it was supposed to have ended right there in the middle. I can't think of any game that doesn't do this and it's loving awful every single time.

Ya I always wonder why this is. Im thinking all you would have to do is cut their mic mid-sentence for it to sound realistic....so why the heck does it always sound so bad..??

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

The Colonel posted:

This is why Sonic Adventure 2 is the best game ever made.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

net cafe scandal posted:

Ya I always wonder why this is. Im thinking all you would have to do is cut their mic mid-sentence for it to sound realistic....so why the heck does it always sound so bad..??

because they are reading their lines exactly as they are given. instead of writing out the complete sentence they would say, the script only goes as far as the cutoff, so the VAs, unless they are good, don't know what to do once they reach that point, so they just stop suddenly. its both a problem of bad VAs and bad scripts. at least this is what i'm guessing

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

sharrrk posted:

because they are reading their lines exactly as they are given. instead of writing out the complete sentence they would say, the script only goes as far as the cutoff, so the VAs, unless they are good, don't know what to do once they reach that point, so they just stop suddenly.
that completely ignores that voice directors, who explain the context of a line and the character's general personality/motivation, are a thing that exists
of course a lot of them are really bad at their jobs, but they exist

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

lots of people in game development are bad at their jobs, apparently.

Silver Striker
May 22, 2013

Endorph posted:

that completely ignores that voice directors, who explain the context of a line and the character's general personality/motivation, are a thing that exists
of course a lot of them are really bad at their jobs, but they exist

I've heard that some games with awful voice acting end up that way because the actors follow the director's "vision" as closely as possible, and lots of times that vision is awful. So even if you have good actors they can still do bad jobs.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Silver Striker posted:

I've heard that some games with awful voice acting end up that way because the actors follow the director's "vision" as closely as possible, and lots of times that vision is awful. So even if you have good actors they can still do bad jobs.
final fantasy 13

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Heavy Lobster posted:

(pause)

this happens like 100 times in every single bioware game

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Mr. Pumroy posted:

This is basically every MGS codec call ever and that's why I love it.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

A Spider Covets posted:

this happens like 100 times in every single bioware game

Lol yeah it was probs the only bad part of the new Dragon Age game, Dragon Age - Inquisition.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Who the gently caress listens to the whole dialogue, you can always read the whole thingh by the time they spit out one word. Voice actors are a waste of money, just mash b and read like youre an adult

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
sonic adventure 2 manages to side step this issue in a big way

• Locked thread