Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

wormil posted:

Saving Bob is legit. But Raylan never wanted a relationship with Winona. He spent the entire series making excuses not to have a relationship with her and even after moving to Floriday, she ended up with another man. And, not shooting Boyd was not character development -- Raylan could not justify shooting and could not get away clean with murder without also killing Ava. I am not saying that Raylan would murder Boyd, pre-final season Raylan definitely wouldn't.

Ava wouldn't have loving cared if Raylan shot Boyd. She might use it as leverage against Raylan to let her go or get her a deal, but she's clearly terrified of Boyd being out there in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Ava wouldn't have loving cared if Raylan shot Boyd. She might use it as leverage against Raylan to let her go or get her a deal, but she's clearly terrified of Boyd being out there in the world.

Ava was such a strange character. At the start of the series, she's kind of sympathetic, but as it goes on, it becomes clear that A) She only cares about herself, and B) she is really terrible at planning or thinking things through. Almost every choice she makes is poorly informed or poorly thought out or both.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

Snak posted:

Ava was such a strange character. At the start of the series, she's kind of sympathetic, but as it goes on, it becomes clear that A) She only cares about herself, and B) she is really terrible at planning or thinking things through. Almost every choice she makes is poorly informed or poorly thought out or both.

It sort of makes sense. She had an abusive husband who was in one of the most powerful Harlan families. After she finally retaliated against him, she was in fear of her life. Raylan comes back, she thinks she found a man she can trust, but it becomes clear that she really can't due to the complications of his job and his personality. She finally comes around on a partially reformed Boyd, learns to trust him, but he goes back to his old ways.

Things get less clear cut around this point (I also happen to start liking her more here). Even though she knows she's entering a life of trouble once again, she's decided Boyd's not like his brother or his father, and decides to throw her lot in with his. Her motivations on that are less clear, but people lie to themselves a lot more for less. Hell, Boyd's definitely got some more appealing qualities than the rest of his family, and his love seems genuine enough. That's all fine until things go south, Ava gets locked up, and Boyd can't help her for poo poo.

After being in prison, Ava doesn't really trust anyone, especially after Boyd thought leaving her to rot was starting to sound like a fine idea. Raylan couldn't help her either, until she could be used against Boyd. So she decides gently caress them, gently caress Harlan, I need to get out of here and get by on my own. So once she hears about the money, she realizes that could achieve her goals pretty handedly.

Did she always mean to betray Boyd? I'm not quite sure. Maybe she thought she could slip away from Boyd with a tidy sum of it later, maybe part of her still wanted to believe they could have a future. I figure she always planned to leave Raylan high and dry, it was just a matter of when and how to lose him. In the end though, with a gun in her hand and a truck bed full of money, she knew this was her best chance.

I still find her pretty relatable. All she was looking for was a partner to keep her safe in outlaw country and help her make ends meet. Instead, she was abused, she was manipulated, and she was abandoned by all the people she cared about. Add the trauma she went through in prison and I imagine a lot of people would turn out pretty cutthroat.

I agree she also doesn't think things through too well, but a lot of the time she's just trying to keep her head above water. Pretty much every criminal in Harlan has a grand scheme, until reality throws a wrench in the works. Ava doesn't even get much time to plan, she's got to think on her feet.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, it's pretty realistic and well-written, but again, not the norm for television. Like she reminds me of the protagonist in Weeds, except in that show we are supposed to root for her?

I don't think she always planned to betray Boyd. I think she was being honest at the end when she said she did what she thought he would do in that situation. I think that she was never really cut out to be an outlaw, but she spent enough time with them that she started thinking like one and that was basically her downfall. Kind of what Raylan managed to avoid in the end.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Hello Ava, I'm DA Vasquez, the man who decides whether you go back to prison and by the way Raylan Givens has made my job hell and I would very much like to send him to prison instead of you. Now tell me in your own words if Raylan was acting in self defense when he murdered shot Boyd Crowder ...

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Man, people really hate Vasquez in this thread...

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.

wormil posted:

Hello Ava, I'm DA Vasquez, the man who decides whether you go back to prison and by the way Raylan Givens has made my job hell and I would very much like to send him to prison instead of you. Now tell me in your own words if Raylan was acting in self defense when he murdered shot Boyd Crowder ...

Oh, the same DA that gave me the poo poo deal where I was constantly pressured to magically show up with Boyd in a cage every day of every week, or else be threatened to return to prison? Yeah I trust you.

Vasquez would not have been able to give her a deal she'd accept anyway, she was a pretty huge fugitive.

Fetus Tree
Feb 2, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 years!

Snak posted:

Man, people really hate Vasquez in this thread...

It's weird, as I read the thread, I also find it funny that a guy that wants to put the protagonist in jail isn't well liked. Wanna PM each other about it?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I just feel like Vasquez's action are pretty justified, and it's a symptom of Raylan's failure to actually play by the rules. Vasquez doesn't get to watch the show. He can't see how Raylan is trying to do the right thing even if he refuses to stay on the reservation. And Raylan refuses to communicate properly or even pretend to follow protocol. It's like a reminder to the viewer that people who "are clearly bad guys" can have much more sympathetic reasons for their actions.

Also by time all of this is happening, Ava IS A MURDERER. So yes I'm not surprised that sane people think Raylan might be a bad guy since he is apparently aiding and abbetting the escape of a murderer who he used to sleep with who just stole a bunch of money. From the man Raylan previously shot in Ava's dining room.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
Did they even mention what Vasquez had on Ava in the first place? IIRC, the only thing keeping her in prison last season was the guard who claimed she stabbed him, and they made it pretty clear he recanted.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

JohnSherman posted:

Did they even mention what Vasquez had on Ava in the first place? IIRC, the only thing keeping her in prison last season was the guard who claimed she stabbed him, and they made it pretty clear he recanted.

Obstruction, something? I got nothing.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
yeah actually I forgot all that. I have no idea.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

She got caught with a bunch of drugs and was framed to go to big girl prison by shithead mcstabshimself. FBI made the guy recant so she could be the informant cause it gave her a reason to get out.

Invalid Validation fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Apr 29, 2015

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

Oh, the same DA that gave me the poo poo deal where I was constantly pressured to magically show up with Boyd in a cage every day of every week, or else be threatened to return to prison? Yeah I trust you.

Vasquez would not have been able to give her a deal she'd accept anyway, she was a pretty huge fugitive.

Yes, that Da. The one who decides whether Ava goes back to prison. There was never anything wrong with the deal, Ava was just half assing the whole time because she couldn't pick a team.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Invalid Validation posted:

She got caught with a bunch of drugs and was framed to go to big girl prison by shithead mcstabshimself. FBI made the guy recant so she could be the informant cause it gave her a reason to get out.

...But he recanted. Kind of hard to throw your informant back in prison when she didn't commit the crime you're hanging over her head.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

JohnSherman posted:

...But he recanted. Kind of hard to throw your informant back in prison when she didn't commit the crime you're hanging over her head.

She had original crimes she committed to land her in the harlan lock up in the first place, where creepy mc weirdo stabbed her and framed her. The terms of her deal may have precluded from anything but servivng out the rest of her sentence in a hard core prison full of bitches who wanna chop her up.

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

SpookyLizard posted:

She had original crimes she committed to land her in the harlan lock up in the first place, where creepy mc weirdo stabbed her and framed her. The terms of her deal may have precluded from anything but servivng out the rest of her sentence in a hard core prison full of bitches who wanna chop her up.

Boyd's actions in Season 5 cleared her of those charges and she was set to be released the day Creepy McWeirdo stabbed himself.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Oh. I think I just remembered. Creepy McWierdo didn't actually recant. That was the cover they used to tell Boyd why she was out so she could inform on him. Then they send Wynn and Mikey to make sure everything's on the up and up, and Rachel makes sure that he lies to them. I have no idea of the legality of any of this, but they specifically got Ava out to inform on Boyd, not because she was found innocent.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Snak posted:

Oh. I think I just remembered. Creepy McWierdo didn't actually recant. That was the cover they used to tell Boyd why she was out so she could inform on him. Then they send Wynn and Mikey to make sure everything's on the up and up, and Rachel makes sure that he lies to them. I have no idea of the legality of any of this, but they specifically got Ava out to inform on Boyd, not because she was found innocent.

This was it.

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I was under the impression the Marshals were playing shenanigans with creepy prison guard and that's why they kept him in a motel. Maybe I missed something but the Ava storyline didn't make sense to me all season.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
The actual story arc of what Ava was up to while she was in prison was the worst part of this show. It fell completely flat and went nowhere. And it hammered home how incompetent Ava is. But I guess that gave her a really good reason to think she wouldn't make it if she went back.

Hunterhr
Jan 4, 2007

And The Beast, Satan said unto the LORD, "You Fucking Suck" and juked him out of his goddamn shoes

wormil posted:

I was under the impression the Marshals were playing shenanigans with creepy prison guard and that's why they kept him in a motel. Maybe I missed something but the Ava storyline didn't make sense to me all season.

They didn't keep him in a motel. They just knew he visited hookers there.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005
Jeremy Davies is in the new miniseries Texas Rising looking very Dickie Bennett.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Armyman25 posted:

Jeremy Davies is in the new miniseries Texas Rising looking very Dickie Bennett.

I think you mean looking very Jeremy Davies.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Snak posted:

The actual story arc of what Ava was up to while she was in prison was the worst part of this show. It fell completely flat and went nowhere. And it hammered home how incompetent Ava is. But I guess that gave her a really good reason to think she wouldn't make it if she went back.

Legal threats & maneuvering were this show's version of technobabble used for easy plot development. Ava's storyline was the worst cuz it relied the most on it and had to stretch those nonsensical motivators out for over a season going.

Armyman25
Sep 6, 2005

bobkatt013 posted:

I think you mean looking very Jeremy Davies.

I first saw him in Saving Private Ryan. I may have to recalibrate my default Jeremy Davies expectations.

Holy poo poo, I had no idea that he had played Charles Manson in an TV adaptation of Helter Skelter.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Armyman25 posted:

I first saw him in Saving Private Ryan. I may have to recalibrate my default Jeremy Davies expectations.

Holy poo poo, I had no idea that he had played Charles Manson in an TV adaptation of Helter Skelter.

See also him in Lost

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Jeremt Davies always plays the same guy, unintelligible, crazy, skittish

Parachute
May 18, 2003
And knocks it out of the park every time. He ranges from good to spectacular every time I see him in something, and holy poo poo that's some perfect Charles Manson casting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

savinhill posted:

Legal threats & maneuvering were this show's version of technobabble used for easy plot development. Ava's storyline was the worst cuz it relied the most on it and had to stretch those nonsensical motivators out for over a season going.

I am now imagining that the entire Ava prison storyline was simply lampooning Sons of Anarchy, since that's what that entire show is like, but it's the main plot and we're supposed to care.

• Locked thread