Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Failcon
Jul 19, 2008

dill with it
Korean manwha artists have lived in their Japanese counterparts shadows for too long, any recommendations for some Manwha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I dont think Dungeon And Fighter has a manwha but if it does its probably good.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I see you are a gamer OP, so I suggest reading The Gamer

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Webtoons yo

Cheese in the Trap is neat
Cherry Boy, That Girl is silly and great and like eating candy, and my favorite ongoing one.
Anarasumanara is one of the prettiest comics I've ever read
Stories of Those Around Me uses a really nice color palette, and the plot is good imo

There's like a bunch of violent and horror webtoons, but I kinda stick with the romancey ones.

Captain Failcon
Jul 19, 2008

dill with it
A suggestion for those in this thread, I have read the entirety of the Warcraft: Sunwell Trilogy Manwha and it is good. Pick it up if you like Warcraft

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
Good luck on your quest, Captain Failcon.

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Captain Failcon posted:

Korean manwha artists have lived in their Japanese counterparts shadows for too long, any recommendations for some Manwha

Vile troll

Captain Failcon
Jul 19, 2008

dill with it

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I see you are a gamer OP, so I suggest reading The Gamer

So far this is good.

coathat
May 21, 2007

They're all bad op.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

coathat posted:

They're all bad op.

Don't be racist.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Don't be racist.

Captain Failcon
Jul 19, 2008

dill with it

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Don't be racist.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
Good action manwha:

Noblesse
Tower of God
God of high school
Lessa
Soul cartel
The breaker /The breaker: New waves
Magician

Edit: to be fair, these are Korean webtoons, not technically manwha (I think?)

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

i don't like the art in most webtoons, it feels lovely and low quality. that said though there are manwha in more traditional style with good art

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

shin angyo onshi is cool, OP

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

Silynt posted:

Good action manwha:

Noblesse
Tower of God
God of high school
Lessa
Soul cartel
The breaker /The breaker: New waves
Magician

Edit: to be fair, these are Korean webtoons, not technically Manhwa (I think?)

With the exception of Lessa which I cannot comment on because I have not read it, all of those are the generic shonen jump-style stories, with everything that implies - long, drawn out, meandering fantasy plots using wider casts than they can support participating in pointless and drawn out battles over vague conflicts. Noblesse is DBZ with vampires. Tower of God, God of High School, and Breaker are basically Naruto with varying focuses. Soul Cartel & Magician are the ones I can't put a shonen-jump equivalent to, but it's still pretty much the same structure. I'd say Magician is probably the strongest manwha on the list; the art is really non-standard but great and it touches a lot on Beserk-like Seinen themes.

If you want really good examples of Manhwa, I recommend:

Drama: Anarasumanara (beautiful art, both funny and sad), Dr. Frost (pseudo-psychology equivalent of House, in comic form), and Family Man (Dramatic comedy, really good).

Romance: Lots of overlap with Drama, but way more romance focused of course. These are The Girl From Class, The Stories of Those Around Me, and my personal favorite Can't Hear, Can't See, But Love. If you read these plus the dramas listed above, you'll get a good sense for the generic korean drama formula, which is really emotionally manipulative in obvious ways but better than most other forms of drama.

Comedy: Second only to Drama, Comedy are the best types of Manhwa. Try God of Bath (takes the piss out of shonen) and 10th Dimension Boys (short juvenile humor)

Action D.I.C.E. Seriously go read D.I.C.E. It starts out looking like it's going to go the same direction as The Gamer (boy levels up stats!) but quickly turns into so much more than that as poo poo gets real; it's not about good and evil, it's about strong and weak, and how people do unfortunate things with and for power.

So You Seriously Want to Read Shonen? Well, okay! Zippy Ziggy is basically a reverse Angel Densetsu, all about a terrible kid who gets by on good looks. Not exactly the most mature story (at all, it's nsfw due to fanservice), but at least it's doesn't fall into the too many characters shonen trap. Beyond that, if you want the most shonen shonen to ever shonen a shonen, Kubera has you covered in spades. 8 billion characters where their powers/fates are their characters, world-shattering plot that's never explained in any detail, and flashbacks. So many flashbacks. Half the comic is flashbacks, I'm pretty sure.

The Best: The Friendly Winter, it's through and through a Drama, but drat if it isn't the best piece of literature I've read in the manhwa format. I recommend this as a great work of art, not just a manhwa. It's about a 17 boy with a mental disorder such that he's basically a child, and a 19 year old girl with a growth defect that makes her look like a child and the challenges they face in society. If the description skeeves you out, don't worry, it doesn't go in weird directions at all.

Don't forget to read left from right, like in English!

bofa salesman
Nov 6, 2009

Annarasumanara and god of bath are both by the same author. Same dude also made my heart is beating. Read all 3 and enjoyed them all, tho annarasumanara is prob my favorite one

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Do not read anything korean that involves men and women with disabilities finding love with each other. It will only end in heartache.

Silento
Feb 16, 2012

Special Martial Arts Extreme Hell Private High School

Captain Failcon
Jul 19, 2008

dill with it

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Do not read anything korean that involves men and women with disabilities finding love with each other. It will only end in heartache.

I will keep in mind, thank you.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

beautiful winter has a good end actually

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cat humping pigeon now I have seen it all wtf man hahahaha interesting if anything gona read the next chapter to see what happen to the pigeon hahahaha and here I thought laughing and crying wasn't possible lol man truly lol

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Pretty much anything by Gang Full. He's the best paid webtoon artist in Korea for a reason. Romance Story was the first webtoon I read, before they became so widespread. I've only read like half of his works but I've loved all of them and bawled like a baby at most.

Black Maria and Koalala by Yami. Koalala is more like a food blog in webtoon form though.

Cat and Rabbit Owner by the chick that drew Metronome. It was pretty controversial and the author got a ton of flack while she was working on it.

P.S. You may need to learn Korean in order to read these.

EDIT: Also the Demon Overlord is a loving Fool. That's pretty fun too.

ZepiaEltnamOberon fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Jan 8, 2015

Deliciouscesium
Apr 10, 2012
Lots of good ones mentioned already. I'm going to second both Tower of God and Can't See, Can't Hear, But Love.

Also, check out Immortal Regis and it's sequel Cavalier of the Abyss.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
http://www.webtoons.com/
read the poo poo on here if you aren't gay. i recommend http://www.webtoons.com/episodeList?titleNo=71 this one

if you're gay i think you'll have to stick to your japanese anime, friend.

Captain Failcon
Jul 19, 2008

dill with it

THE PENETRATOR posted:

http://www.webtoons.com/
read the poo poo on here if you aren't gay. i recommend http://www.webtoons.com/episodeList?titleNo=71 this one

if you're gay i think you'll have to stick to your japanese anime, friend.

Hrmm, may have to give a look see

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

Anything by master craftsman and noted feminist Im Dal Young

k4kk01
May 6, 2013

I would second the recommendations for Noblesse and Cherry Boy. Noblesse can get kinda shounen-y though, so it might not be to your taste? Although if you like shounen stuff, there's a decent chance you'll like it.

For actual manhwa and not webtoons, Ciel~ The Last Autumn Story is really interesting, if convoluted.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Ares is real good imo

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I would wait a year before reading the Breaker; the pace is loving glacial, with each chapter being really short and rarely satisfying. Give it a year, play catchup, then suffer like everyone else.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Shin Angyo Onshi is close to the best series you'll find though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Feng Shen Ji owns a whole bunch too in that it reads like a golden age comic book half the time

• Locked thread