Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

1.) What is professional wrestling to you? Answer this however you want!
It's live action Tekken: bombastic action and bombastic passion.

2.) How long have you been a fan? Was there any defining moment that turned you into someone who became a habitual viewer?
I've been a fan for about 2 and a half years, but I can't pinpoint any defining moment, no.

3.) Who was your first favorite wrestler?
CM Punk

4.) Have you ever fallen out of following this gay sport? If so, what time period was this? When did you get back into it - and what keeps you watching?
No.

5.) What promotion was your favorite, alive or dead? What time period from that promotion did you like best?
NJPW for the past few years might just be some of my favorite pro wrestling of all time, but I also have a love for 2002-2004 WWE, Smackdown in particular.

6.) What promotions do you consider your favorites today? What particular things about each one do you enjoy?
NJPW(simple storylines, great wrestling), PWG(simple storylines, great wrestling, and a commitment to having every match on the show try to steal it)

7.) Who is your favorite wrestler today, and why?
Cesaro because he does cool moves, has great matches, I really enjoy his arrogant personality, and he has a dreamy smile.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TUS
Feb 19, 2003

I'm going to stab you. Offline. With a real knife.

The art of telling a story via beating people up in entertainment fashion

2.) How long have you been a fan? Was there any defining moment that turned you into someone who became a habitual viewer?
Within months of Wrestlemania 4 coming out on video through Coliseum Video. As a kid, the grand entrances (Warrior, LOD, Demo, etc...) always amazed me. No particular moment. My favorite moment was Hogan/Warrior but I was already habitual by then.

Warrior, Dibiase and Mr. Perfect

4.) Have you ever fallen out of following this gay sport? If so, what time period was this? When did you get back into it - and what keeps you watching?
Ive fallen out of WWE, ROH, other indy wrestling at different times, but never all wrestling at once

5.) What promotion was your favorite, alive or dead? What time period from that promotion did you like best?
ECW - Before TNN shows started. ROH - 2004-2007ish PWG - 2014

6.) What promotions do you consider your favorites today? What particular things about each one do you enjoy?
PWG, ROH, NJPW - all for amazing wrestling. Stories are second but they all have great wrestling

Kyle O'Reilly. Reminds me a lot of Daniel Bryan at least in the ring.. he still needs to work on his personality... but Bobby Fish brings something out in him. He rules

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Thauros posted:

Pro-graps is a weekly stunt/variety show, the equivalent of a Globetrotters game, where I get to see physical specimens do some bad acting and then hurl themselves off of stuff into people. Stuntmen and actors being athletes.

quote:

I've been an actual fan since my first year in college when my roommate had a cable de-scrambler and I got to see the Rumble where Austin dived through the second rope to whoop Mr. MacMahon's rear end and then ran out of the ring, came back and won it all after re-entering. Ironically, I never really liked Austin (just some redneck trailer-trash) and was in love with The Rock (my mom being a professor at UM didn't hurt)

quote:

Not gonna lie, I'm a Kaininite. When he was just a monster wrecking fools, he was awesome. And then, as both he and I matured, I appreciated him even more for being the biggest company man and doing stuff like the Lita/Snitsky angle and then Team Hell No. He seems to know exactly how goofy all this is, and is having fun most of the time.

quote:

from maybe 2001-2004 I didn't watch any wrestling, mostly because I was doing lots of drugs and working hospitality all evening and TiVo didn't exist yet.

quote:

I loved me some ECW on The Nashville Network back in the day. ECW was the sort of controlled chaos and spotmonkey heroics that were everything I wanted in a show.

quote:

I really hate WWE, but it's the only thing I can reliably, easily watch and talk about with others. I wish there was some sort of competition because I'd jump ship pretty loving fast.

quote:

CM Punk. Wait, active wrestler? poo poo. Uhh.... Probably Daniel Bryan, by dint of him not being on TV to ruin the last 8 months. I also think a lot of comedy midcarders are awesome and love their segments, especially when they get more than a few seconds to actually have characters (Adam Rose as Jim Jones, Stardust, Rufus "Pancake" Patterson... see also Kaininite reference above)

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jan 13, 2015

Wiccan Wasteland
Oct 15, 2012
Just like Hip-Hop, I viewed wrestling as a different form of storytelling... through hitting people in the face. There is nothing like a great match that tells a story and then a rematch that builds on the last one.

I became a fan around 1997-1998 when I started watching the first hour of WCW. I fell in love with the Cruiserweight Division at the time and also really liked many of the lower carders. I hated the NWO and the Main Event scene though and would refuse to watch it as it was boring as watching paint dry. What probably made me into a habitual viewer was watching the Chris Jericho vs Dean Malenko feud.. that was really great TV.

I stopped watching around 2005 right when it became the Triple H show. I liked Triple H but I did not like what was going on around the product at the time. When he started dominating everything it pretty much reminded me of WCW with Hogan but this time without the awesome under card so I quit watching. I would come back off and on to catch Smackdown during their various runs of putting on great shows but I didn't really come back around until about 2012 to check out this Daniel Bryan guy everyone was talking about. Then I promptly quit watching again once they started loving around with him to continue pushing the same old poo poo.

WCW between 1997-1999 right before they started making GBS threads on everything.

PWG and NJPW. I like PWG for the fun and carefree nature wrestlers have there. Its like they will do whatever it takes to please that small crowd and I just do not understand it. NJPW just has really awesome matches with little fluff in-between and I really like that. The run ins are starting to get annoying but I understand that it's apart of the American heel stables gimmick and not something that the promotion itself is just doing for stupid reasons.

Tomohiro Ishii. I have no idea why I like this guy so much.. he's the little guy who takes poo poo from no one and I love it. A close second would be Minoru Suzuki who is the perfect heel in todays world.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I'll re-use and slightly alter my 2012 answers for #2-#4 as they certainly still apply.

As everyone else has said, It's a strangely compelling combination of storytelling, athletic prowess, showmanship and pagentry. It's also an unique industry that's kept me interested even at times where I haven't watched much actual wrestling. I'm not a fan of the current WWE product, but the goings on and general corporate culture of a company that's 50% giant soulless corporation and 50% insular family run business owned by crazy people is endlessly fascinating.

Started watching as a small child in the late '80s. My older brother got into it first and I started watching Hogan Era WWF with him. My first memory is of a SNME during the Hogan vs Andre feud when I was very young, but I only really got into it seriously in 1989 when I went to a local house show with my family which was really the moment I turned into a rabid fan. I started to beg my mom for Apter mags from the grocery store which helped me discover WCW and provided me with my first look into Puro and the last years of Memphis.

Jake the Snake! Loved everything about the guy, from the name, the promos, to the finisher, and of course the huge rear end python he toted around with him made an instant impression on me. Rick Rude and Rick Martel were definitely the wrestlers I hated the most as a little kid due to their feuds with him. Taker is also a notable guy from my early days as a fan since he was the first guy I rooted for against Hogan.

Yeah. During the 90's and 2000's I followed the same pattern as many did of watching when it was hot but not when it was cold. I stopped following wrestling in favor of real sports at around 1993 much to the delight of my parents. During the mid '90s I had no awareness of wrestling at all and had no idea in November 1997 that anything notable happened in the industry that month.

In '98 wrestling re-emerged in the mainstream public eye and I started hearing kids talk about it at school again. Then on a random Monday night in the spring of '98, my dad and I were flipping through the channels and came across an episode of Nitro. The first segment I saw was a Chris Jericho rules lawyer heel promo during his feud with Malenko and I was instantly hooked. This was also during the initial stages of Goldberg's monster push and my Jewish dad found it hilarious and probably more awesome than he wanted to admit that "Goldberg" was used as a intimidating chant.

My dad switched the channel after the Goldberg squash, but I went up to my bedroom and continued watching until 11. From that point on I basically made sure to tune in to wrestling every Monday night to see what was going on. Since WCW was what got em back into wrestling and they had more of the late '80's and early '90s guys I remembered I mostly watched WCW though I'd occasionally channel flip.

Like many others I was one of the fans who made the switch to Raw after Eric Bischoff gave away Cactus Jack winning the WWF title and was pissed off at the Fingerpoke. Discovered the crappy '90s IWC rumor sites like Rajah early in '99 and that just furthered my obsession. Still vividly remember reading about Owen Hart's death on Lords of Pain.

While I remained a avid viewer for the rest of the Attitude era, I definitely started watching less regularly after the Invasion. Stopped watching completely in early '06 when I moved out of my parents' house and lost access to cable. I still kept up on industry news though and lurked this forum occasionally. I very clearly recall lurking the Raw is Benoit thread as the real story started to emerge.

I started watching again when I discovered live streams of WWE in 2010. My interest in WWE has ebbed and flowed since then, but there's always been some alternative whether ROH or NJPW I've been genuinely into to keep my interest high.

1998 WCW, 1999-01 WWF, and current NJPW

NJPW by far. While I'm more interested in WWE as a business than an entertainment product, I can just enjoy NJPW as a fan. They provide me the match quality and the general feel that they're letting the guys do what they're best at that the indies gave me a couple years ago combined with big fed production quality and pagentry. Their main event matches are consistently great and they showcase a unique array of characters and simple but compelling storylines that I can invest myself in. It's fun as hell to deliriously scream at my TV at 5 in the morning cheering on my favorite wrestlers.

I also like DG quite a bit too since they provide a bit of the craziness I used to enjoy in CHIKARA. PWG's fun as hell and easy to follow since they only run a few times a year. ROH is a great live experience and I enjoy seeing them in person multiple times a year. I'm not as into their televised product as I used to be though now that many of my favorites have gone elsewhere.

In 2012 I had to cop out and provide a list of 5 since I couldn't make up my mind. Now I can reply without hesitation that the answer is Shinsuke Nakamura.

The man just has that unique charisma that embodies so much of what I genuinely enjoy about wrestling and is one of if not the best in workers out there. Everything he does is just compelling, from ring entrances, gestures, promos, to actual ringwork. Because NJPW can book and doesn't force their guys into doing stupid promos and storylines I've never thought anything he's done since I started watching NJPW in 2012 was boring, cheesy, or lame unlike WWE's super talented guys like Daniel Bryan.

Thauros fucked around with this message at 03:01 on Jan 13, 2015

Xerzes
May 16, 2012

Fiction with punches, which is the best kind of fiction. It is good versus evil, except good is badly written and evil is cowardly and half-assed and the most interesting stories are usually about the crazy people in charge of the whole thing.

I started watching WWF in late June or early July of 94, and found WCW a month or so later. I don't know exact dates. I think it might've been that twenty or so minute match with Bret and 123 kid that hooked me. drat fine match.

Undertaker. No question. I was a weird little proto-goth as a kid, so a giant zombie wizard was everything I could possibly want, plus he fought monsters sometimes.

I stopped watching in summer of 04. Was crashing with some friends for a bit, and one afternoon I was presented with the choice of watching Kane feud over the lady the raped or I could go get ice cream with my friends. Went back to watching when my living arrangements changed, and stuck with it since. I'm not sure why I keep watching. Momentum?

WWF, even now, I guess. It's the one I watch, anyway. I've still got nostalgia for 94-95 since that's when I started watching, but the Attitude Era sticks with me too.

Still WWE, for whatever reason. I enjoy convenience.

I honestly have no idea. Anyone I start to like gets poo poo on in one way or another.

Mannie Fresh
Jul 2, 2006
1.) What is professional wrestling to you?

Professional wrestling to me is at it's peak what unscripted sports try to be. The compelling story and journey of someone who wants to be at the top of their field and stay there through the odds is always what wrestling has been to me (Having grown up on WWF/WWE does this do youd).

It was always around for me due to the period of time I started to make my own programming choices (1997-1999), but I probably became a big fan the first time around during the Wrestlemania 15 build. Rock/Austin was one of the first matches I can remember wanting to see like no other, because I wanted to see Rock get his rear end kicked for screwing Mankind out of the title. I still hate Corporate Rock to this day.

Stone Cold Steve Austin was pretty much everything me as an undersized 12 year old offensive lineman wanted to be in life. I just wanted to kick rear end and have a nice cold beverage after kicking said rear end.

Once I got into high school in 2003 there was a period of time I didn't have cable so I naturally lost nearly all exposure to wrestling. I started getting back into in around Money in the Bank 2011 and became a full time fan again during the run of The Shield. I honestly keep watching for moments like Wrestlemania XXX for Daniel Bryan, it doesn't happen all the time, but when a wrestling storyline is executed right almost nothing is better in mass media.

I was raised as a WWF kid and thought WCW was dreck when I grew up. Wrestlemania 2000 - Wrestlemania X-Seven was one of my favorite things I've ever seen.

PWG has the most fun matches. ROH probably has the most consistent storytelling in American promotions, but when WWE decides to do a story properly, they consistently make everyone look like amateurs though.

Adam Cole, because he is the best, is an insanely entertaining in-ring worker and promo, and will probably have every belt from every active promotion at some point in his career.

Takuan
May 6, 2007

A combination of comic books and kung-fu movies performed for a live audience.

Since I was about 13 or 14. Early 1998. Even though I had cousins and friends into wrestling, I never liked it because it was fake. One day, on the bus from school, I overheard a couple of kids talking about a wrestling game where you could pull baseball bats and chairs from the crowd and beat up your opponent with them. I was intrigued, so I rented WCW/nWo World Tour that weekend. I actually had a lot of fun with the game, especially the flippy masked guys, so I decided to give non-video game wrestling a shot. The first thing I saw when I tuned into that first Nitro was a guy with a goofy top-knot-ponytail thing happening introducing himself as "Your Paragon of Virtue". Between that, a chubby dancing skeleton, and a couple guys who actually looked like they were wrestling for reals, I was hooked.

Juventud Guererra. The luchadores were what really grabbed my attention, and Juvi was the best of the bunch(since Rey Mysterio Jr was our with an injury at the time). 450 splashes are awesome.

After the invasion, I half-heartedly watched WWE for a while, my interest was renewed during the "Smackdown Six" era, but waned again after that. I think I finally gave up on WWE for good when JBL started getting his World Title push. I tried getting into RoH and Japanese wrestling, but ordering dvds/tapes were too expensive, and too much of a hassle. I did enjoy TNA during their few moments of competency.
I got back into wrestling about a year and a half ago, when I found out RoH had a weekly TV show.

WCW. I believe in 1998 WCW had one of the overall most talented rosters of any company at any point in history.

RoH, because they consistently provide an hour of decent to fantastic wrestling every week, plus they've had some really great PPV events this past year.
Lucha Underground has been pretty good, and hopefully the El Rey network will let them keep going for a while.
After WrestleKingdom 9, I'm going to start trying to follow New Japan.
Between these three promotions, and all the talented people working for them, I'm more excited about wrestling than I have been in a long time.

It's hard to pick just one. Jay Lethal, Jay Briscoe, ACH, AJ Styles, Adam Cole, Shinsuke Nakamura, ReDRagon, Hansen, and The Young Bucks have all been fantastic since I started paying attention to wrestling again.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Getting emotionally invested in something that lets me forget that it's worked. I especially like the psychology of "competitive" wrestling, where you get the sense that it's a serious competitive match between two athletes.

Since the mid 1980s. I probably watched my tape of AWA SuperClash a ton. The thing that really got me watching was probably Hogan losing to Undertaker, which was shocking at the time.

Davey Boy Smith, actually. I really liked the Big Boss Man, too.

Over and over. The product just gets stale after a while. Even if it's good, it's just too much content to take in with no break.

I keep coming back because I want to like it. When wrestling is done well, it's amazing stuff. I think the PG era has really hurt my interest, because it's already hard to admit to people that you like wrestling. Stuff like midgets in animal suits is just embarrassingly bad.

I guess I've always been a WWF kid, and early '96 was a fun time for me. I also really loved the Hart Foundation vs. Austin wars.

I occasionally watch WWE, but it's really frustrating. Seth Rollins, Antonio Cesaro, and Bryan Danielson are the only reasons I watch.

Probably Seth Rollins at the moment. He's just doing everything right. I would say Wade Barrett, if he was doing anything worthwhile or interesting. I hate the Bad News character.

Red fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jan 13, 2015

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Promos. More than anything in the world Pro Wrestling is someone standing in front of a crowd of thousands of people and getting them to believe something about them and interacting with them. The wrestlers doing that is what inspired me to get into public speaking and debating which have formed the cornerstone of my life for years now. Beyond that, the storylines associated with that. When it's done well it's better than any piece of fiction because these people feel so much more real. The funny part is, actual wrestling? I could care less as long as I care about the characters in that ring.

As a kid I remember liking Hulk Hogan, although I was like 4 or 5 at the time and had never really seen a wrestling match. At some point in time we got cable in the UK and I found Smackdown aired at 10 on a Saturday morning. The first one I ever watched had highlights of a Stone Cold Steve Austin vs Undertaker first blood match. At the age of 10 it became my ritual to wake up every Saturday, watch cartoons and then flip to wrestling. This ritual kept up until I went to University.

Stone Cold, no question. But Jericho is the one that convinced me to pursue debating.

Uni in my first year, I had no real ability to follow wrestling, since we didn't have Sky and I was on campus. I'd go to .com and read the results each week. I guess a lot of the HHH doom period was lost on me because I only ever got to watch Smackdown. The only other time I got close was the 6 day Christian title reign, that really really bummed me out.

Right now I'm thinking of taking a break. More than anything the waste of incredible talent that they have is getting me down.

I've only really watched WWE and my favourite era is probably the Smackdown 6 era, with Attitude coming in a close second. The brand split was genuinely excellent for me because it let me keep up with storylines so much easier.

WWE because it's the only thing I get the time to watch. I guess I enjoy it when the stars align and they actually make competent booking decisions.

Daniel Bryan, Dolph Ziggler, Wade Barrett, Cesaro. Daniel Bryan because he's the one guy who's the total package and looks like he'll actually get a shot. Dolph because every time he says anything in a backstage interview I'm enthralled. Barrett, because he's British, he's got Bad News and because I will never ever forget his Winds of Change promo. Cesaro because even though he's a jobber, he's one of the few people that can get me into a match purely based on his wrestling ability.

If you'd asked me a year ago CM Punk would have blown them all out the water though.

electric funeral
Oct 16, 2004

ACCIO PANTIES
*swoosh flick*

Hard for me to distill it into a sentence or two. It's absurd that it even exists but I think it's great. It's silly and fun and cool.

Off and on since about 1990. Became a habitual viewer at Survivor Series '98, final match between Rock and Mankind. I didn't realize at the time that it was a rehashed storyline, because I wasn't watching in '97.

Ultimate Warrior. I remember also loving Brutus Beefcake which is even more embarrassing in retrospect. I liked all the guys that wore neon stuff. Also big into the Steiners.

I stopped watching in the early 90's until I walked into my living room and my brother was watching Survivor Series '98. I was intrigued by Mankind. I watched from then until 2003, then watched very sparingly until 2010, specifically the first season of NXT. I've been watching pretty consistently since then, mainly because of guys like Bryan, Cesaro, the Shield and Ziggler.

I'm really nostalgic for late 80's-early 90's WWF. I also have fond memories of early 90's WCW and NWO-era WCW.

WWE and NJPW. New Japan is much more coherent with storylines and sustained pushes. I like WWE's production values and video packages.

If I have to name just one, it's Daniel Bryan. I would like to mention Ambrose, Rollins, Cesaro and about half of NXT from WWE, and Nakamura, Ishii and Goto from NJPW.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

Professional wrestling is basically my football. I have friends that are really into sports and I've tried to do fantasy leagues with them, but the interest just isn't there for me. Wrestling hits this sweet spot for me where it combines an ongoing narrative and characters with legit athletic feats and theatrical performance. I love the interactions between wrestlers, building up a crowd and working towards a giant moment, all while making it look as snug and real as possible. I never felt comfortable watching things like UFC or boxing because I don't like seeing people get hurt, but wrestling is a cooperative endeavor masquerading as a competitive sport. It's two guys or ladies working together to show you amazing things, with the occasional tiny bull fighting a tiny alligator.

I've been watching for about ten months now, starting at Wrestlemania 30. My cousin's boyfriend is a wrestling fan and we talked about it at some family gathering or another. At some point in the days before Wrestlemania, I watched this Daniel Bryan promo and was hooked. That Sunday, I went over to my sister's house and basically said, "Hey, do you want to watch Wrestlemania today?" I showed her that promo and, like me, she was all in instantly. We ordered a pizza and the Network, watched Bryan win the title that night and have been following ever since.

Bryan, of course, but he wasn't really around in the days following his win, so I got really attached to The Shield and Seth Rollins in particular. He brought this insane energy to the group and I love watching this two-toned SWAT guy do crazier and crazier things in and outside of the ring. His turn was the first real wrestling betrayal I'd ever experienced and his evolution from cornerstone of a dominant stable to vicious main event heel has been amazing to see.

I don't think I've ever completely fallen out so far, but I've basically stopped watching Raw. I keep following the WWE product through recaps and stuff, but it's just so hard to invest yourself in something that makes you so angry and upset. I'm sure it will pick up again (for who knows how long), but I'm using this opportunity to check out other promotions and past events.

I really don't have a horse in this race. I am fortunate enough that there are literally decades of wrestling that I haven't seen, so I can go back at any time and experience them as if they were new. In terms of promotions that I wish I was following in the past, 2009-2011 Ring of Honor and Chikara would have been pretty amazing to follow in person.

It's not its own promotion, but NXT is my favorite show because it's so goddamned simple. It's just good storytelling and good wrestling with an amazing roster and believable characters. ROH is very similar, but a little less polished. Lucha Underground is endearingly over-the-top and a welcome addition to the TV wrestling landscape. I'm just getting into NJPW now that I have access to their network, but I have really enjoyed the two Wrestle Kingdoms I watched and their roster is top notch. I know that Chikara is still trying to find its footing again, but it's one of the indie promotions that I can see on a regular basis and Tomorrow Never Dies was super fun.

Sami Zayn, no question. He is the most sympathetic human being in the world and so easy to get behind. If it was just that he'd be fine, but he's also a phenomenal wrestler. I still get goosebumps when I watch the video of him doing the sunset flip powerbomb on Cesaro at NXT Arrival. Honorable mentions go to Kota Ibushi, Shinsuke Nakamura, Kenny Omega, Tetsuya Naito, Cesaro, Kevin Owens, Dean Ambrose and Sasha Banks.

Lumbermouth fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jan 13, 2015

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

It's super dumb in a way I can really get behind. Plus watching people do crazy athletic poo poo is always fun. Basically the same reason I love football.

When was Payback, like, April? Because I'm pretty sure that's the first PPV I've ever actually seen. The first Raw I've watched since I was like 5 was the one where DB gave up his title so yeah.

STONE COLD.

I liked wrestling back in like 1998-9 or so when I was like 5 or 6 and I can't remember why I stopped because I can't remember poo poo from back then.

I had WCW vs. The World on the PS1 back in the day so WCW I guess. Bad Blood 4 Lyfe

WWE, NJPW, Lucha Underground and STARDOM, but STARDOM is mostly for one reason, and that's...

SUPER ACT NUMBER 1. Act Yasukawa basically embodies everything I want to see in a pro wrestler and she's got a really interesting life story to boot.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?
Basically the cliche answer of being able to make a story out of what is going on in the ring and also about having some of the most athletically gifted and charismatic athletes (redundant there I know) fake fight each other in front of a hot crowd.

Since 2006 when I saw the Smackdown after No Way Out where the main event was Taker Angle which got me interested for good.

Kurt Angle, Undertaker, and Chris Benoit

Sometime in 2008 I just lost interest after Benoit killed himself and his family, got back in late 2010 when I started going on The Spoony Experiment forums

WWE 2006-2007 2013-mid 2014

PWG- just love matches and guys they get for their shows

WWE- NXT is still good and man when WWE doesn't gently caress up something they can do some great things

Shinsuke Nakamura- just oozes charisma and is a great worker to boot

theminx
Jun 7, 2007
I has a bucket.
A Long term relationship with a television set

I've been a fan since i've been a kid. My dad has been a fan since he's been a kid and my grandpa was a fan since it came on TV. Wrasslin has always been part of my weekly Routine.

Jake Roberts, Seeing a snake on TV and seeing him place it on jobbers was hilarious to me.

When I left for College from 04-08 , I didnt really have time to watch (club hockey was at the same time on mondays and Thursday/Fridays.... Well, College) as much as I wanted to. I got back into it May 08 once I had graduated and stuff returned to normal.

WWF/E was always the Big promotion in the house, and I did like it more. My Dad and Grandpa used to have dual televisions to watch both programs on at the same time. I really liked WWF/E before the attitude era transitioned into the invasion and Ruthless Agression.

I consume just about everything wrassling I can get my hands on. TNA sucks but its a trainwreck and its sometimes fun. WWE is a trainwreck and is sometimes fun but it depresses me because I really want them to be great. NJPW and ROH are by and Far the best "Major" promotions and have excellent ringwork and stars. Ive heard good things about PWG.

Before 2013 it was Daniel Bryan because I went to an Indie show in Watertown NY in 2011 and He was very big about being a team player, Jake Roberts was also there :3. Today its likely Nakamura/Okada/Ishii or any of the New Japan Roster to be quite honest. Luke Harper is also a favorite of mine because he just screams Wrecking ball. (he was also at that indie show, Brodie Lee)

Perry Normal
Jul 23, 2010

Humans disgust me. Vile creatures.

Live-action Stuntman Theater

If you were 11 in 1993, Undertaker was the coolest thing ever.

Undertaker made me a regular fan but when I was really young during Hogan's heyday and all my friends and cousins liked wrestling, Million $ Man was my favourite.

I stopped watching in 98 cause HBK was retired and WCW was never going to do anything with Benoit.
Back in when I heard the Radicals jumped, back out in 2002 when WWE was never going to do anything with Benoit.
Back in when I heard Benoit won the Rumble and realized Michaels was wrestling again.

I keep watching because wrestling is fun, funny, exciting, silly and stupid.

Chikara can be a little up its own rear end sometimes, but it's almost always had a blend of action and humour that I really enjoy. 2006/07ish to 2012 was pretty much perfect for me, but I still like it.

Chikara (for reasons above), NJPW (for the awesome matches), PWG (for a lot of reasons) and WWE (because I'm invested in a bunch of the talents and I hope the booking starts making more sense some time soon).

Daniel Bryan's still my guy. He's like Dean Malenko and Mick Foley had a transporter accident. He's a crazy talented wrestler and an endearing personality.

Tanahashi, Nakamura, Cesaro, Ambrose, Zayn, Owens, Balor and Ultramantis Black are all right up there though.

is pepsi ok
Oct 23, 2002

Roland Barthes wrote an analysis of wrestling in 1957 that's pretty interesting. You can read it here.

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

I finally got a chance to sit down at the computer and type up my answers because I'll be damned if I'm doing this on a phone.

Cool-looking fake fights and the associated stories that lead to the fake fights

I don't remember a time in my life when I didn't like wrestling. My family always tells the story of a 2-year-old Charles Gnarwin doing his best Hulkster routine to the delight of my uncle and his friends.

I followed my older brother in liking the Ultimate Warrior, but the first wrestler that I truly claimed as my own was Road Warrior Hawk.

When I went away to college (2005-2009), I had no way to watch regularly, so I would just read results every few weeks or so. Not truly a falling out, but I felt disconnected from the product. WWECW actually got me back into watching when home from school (don't hate - it was a fun as hell wrestling show).

I was a WWF kid through and through. The Attitude Era was rad, but the early years of the brand split were where it was at. Smackdown Six for life!

WWE is probably still my #1 just out of habit, but NJPW is becoming my jam. I like the comfort/nostalgia of WWE and the sport aspect of NJPW. Plus the Bullet Club too sweet me

In the past few months, I've come to realize that Seth Rollins is my new favorite. I loved the Shield with all of my heart, and he has stepped it up so hard since they broke up. I sometimes space out during even wrestlers that I like on Raw, but I never take my eyes off the screen when Seth is doing something. I've watched two Shinsuke Nakamura matches and he's already a top contender.

An Actual Bear
Feb 15, 2012

Wacky characters fighting because they want to be the best wrasslerman.

Started watching WCW when I was about 5 or 6, so late '98/early '99. I can't remember anything in particular that made me a fan, if WWF was easier to watch in the UK at the time I may have followed that instead but since we had TNT but not Sky Sports I just watched that instead. I did follow WWF a little bit though, mostly watching Heat on Channel 4 every Sunday.

Probably Goldberg and Sting. I also liked Sid and DDP too.

Not long after WCW went under. The Invasion was kinda cool for a while but even as an 8 year old I started to think it was lame. Started watching again in 2003, stopped again in 2005 and didn't watch regularly again until 2010. At the moment I don't watch RAW because it sounds poo poo and it's 3 loving hours long.

WCW. Looking back it was the shits but it was great when I was 7. I also love WWF 2000 - early 2001. Super hot product, great PPV's, most of the roster was over as gently caress and the storylines felt important.

Probably New Japan. It's dudes fighting each other because they want to be the best, exactly what wrestling should be. I love how simple everything is.

Daniel Bryan, Cesaro (please go to New Japan, thanks), Shinsuke Nakamura, Katsuyori Shibata and purely for nostalgia reasons, Sting.

Psychlone
Sep 3, 2004

It's never straight up and down!

I've always been drawn to it as entertainment. I'm not a sports kind of a person, save for hockey. When people ask me why I would like something so fake, I always say that movies and TV are fake, but everyone watches it anyway. That they can pull off athletic feats live and still pull of a sense of realism (most of the time) is pretty amazing in my eyes. That being said, I've always been drawn to wrestlers who were more entertainers than athletes.

About 1982-3 I started watching. I watched Stampede Wrestling and WWE Superstars back to back on TV. I started watching because a friend of mine watched, then it became a habit for me. He stopped watching, I continued to watch.

The Hart Family on Stampede, Bret Hart and the Dynamite Kid mostly. Then Owen Hart. I loved Makhan Singh too.

When i went to university in 1989, I stopped watching because I didn't have cable. Took me a few years to start watching again, maybe around 1991? I started watching WWE again around when Saba Simba was around and trying to figure out who he was.

Stampede, by far. I remember watching WWE after Stampede and thinking WWE was the bush leagues because Hulk Hogan couldn't even wrestle! The days after Bret, Davey Boy and Dynamite jumped to WWE are probably my favourite, when Owen Hart was becoming a huge star in Calgary. There were a lot of up and comers around Stampede that I loved watching too, like Steve DiSalvo, Brian Pillman and Larry Cameron.

I watch WWE almost exclusively now. I've tried TNA, but it's mostly Russo era WCW to me. I've watched indies too, but I don't go for the flippy, athletic style. I like my meat and potatoes style wrestlers. Some Japanese stuff too, but I find a lot of it too spot oriented.

I love Damien Mizdow and the Miz right now. Chris Jericho. Brock Lesnar. Kane. Bray Wyatt. John Cena when he's not in "superman-overcome-the-odds" mode. Lesnar I love watching the most. He's a human wrecking machine, entirely believable he could take off your head if he wanted to, all work, no flash.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Psychlone posted:

I watch WWE almost exclusively now. I've tried TNA, but it's mostly Russo era WCW to me. I've watched indies too, but I don't go for the flippy, athletic style. I like my meat and potatoes style wrestlers. Some Japanese stuff too, but I find a lot of it too spot oriented.

You seem like you'd really enjoy guys like Minoru Suzuki and Yuji Nagata.

abraham linksys
Sep 6, 2010

:darksouls:

A soap opera with better punching.

I started watching at SummerSlam last year in a bid to find a new, even dumber way to spend my free time than WoW. I think I succeeded. Seeing Cena get crushed and reading along to the thread's reaction is what made me decide to keep watching, and I can't say I've regretted it.

Ambrose! I still like him a whole bunch.

Not yet, though I've certainly considered dropping Raw from my Monday nights.

I just started watching NJPW, and I like it a bunch, but not enough to really say it's my favorite. I love NXT, and can say without a doubt that it's my favorite thing on TV (er, internet TV) every week.

Finn Balor. I think he's a talent totally unmatched in either NXT or WWE. Just an outstanding dude to watch. In WWE proper, I've come to love Seth Rollins, to the point that I even defend his kind of dumb feud with Cena, just because it's so fun to see him in the ring.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Larger than life characters kicking each others rear end with moves that would be impractical in a real fight. I mean yeah I can watch a guy get choked out 15 seconds in an MMA match, or watch some mother fucker in tights do an elbow drop from the top rope, or ddt a guy after diving through a corner turnbuckle.

I just started rewatching it again a year ago and I feel like I have better appreciation for it now than when I was younger, knowing the effort these guys go through to do these stunts on live TV in front of millions watching around the world...for the sake of scripted entertainment.

Since I was a kid still dealing with babysitters, pretty much. I'd have to say the moment Hogan turned heel and formed the NWO was a defining moment, because I watched for YEARS just for the moment when he would eventually turn back (which is hilarious because when it finally happened I was watching WWF/E more at the time due to the Fingerpoke of Doom incident).

Rowdy Roddy Piper was the first guy I always marked out for, and still do. In fact when I went to last year's go home show for WrestleMania I was the first to spot him in the ring during the commercial and called him out. He turned and looked in my direction and did one of those "welp, its no secret now!" shrugs. I mean he didn't see me because it was dark as poo poo but I was still grinning like a little kid.

Yes. I cant pinpoint the moment exactly, but I'm certain it was around the time of Angle stalking Booker T's wife and threatening beastiality sex with her that I quit watching. All the stories were garbage at the time, and what was left of the WCW guys that I liked were pretty much dead in the water.

As I said I got back into it last year. Partly out of nostalgia, partly out of my previous answer that I have a better appreciation of the ringwork, characters, and the effort these guys go through to present an enjoyable product (Vince and creative be damned). I've been disappointed with how things have turned out since Bryan got injured, but I still see sparks of hope and can enjoy a show now and then. This forum also helps with our collective mocking of lovely segments too.

I've also been turned on to NJPW and NXT, and theyre pretty much everything I wanted in pro wrestling so theres that.

WCW. The rise of Goldberg was my time period because goddamn that dude was a beast. When he beat Hogan for the world title was...man I don't have the words for it. I'm pretty sure I had tears of joy when it happened.

NXT, NJPW, and sometimes on a good day WWE. NXT is pretty much what I've always wanted WWE to be and poo poo even WCW sans Hogan and co's burial shenanigans. NJPW has some very exciting wrestling and wrestlers in it, and not afraid to go full cheese (ex: Okada wielding a sword and escorted by a dinosaur to the ring)

Shinsuke Nakamura, which is a hell of a thing to say since I just discovered him this past year and was initially dismissive going by the few gifs I saw in this forum. He just came across as WACKY guy with WACKY hair and a lovely knee strike finisher. It wasn't until I saw his matches that I saw the magic he brings in and out of the ring.

Daniel Bryan was a close second, but I think I'm put off a little by him being the perfect babyface. I like my guys to have a little edge to them.

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?
Loosely choreographed combat drama.

Since about 1983 or 1984. I remember being about 4 or 5 when I first watched Mid-Atlantic Championship Wrestling with my older brothers. It was a lot of people yelling at each other, then kicking each others rear end. I was down with that.

Dusty Rhodes, The Road Warriors, Magnum TA

My watching habits have fluctuated over the years, but I've never completely stopped watching/following wrestling. It seems that wrestling is the kind of thing where there is a good chance of some crazy/funny/amazing poo poo going down, planned or accidental.

I'd probably say Mid-Atlantic (Crockett). The best years were from about 1985-88. So many of my favorite memories come from that period: Rock 'n' Roll Express vs. The Midnight Express, Nikita Koloff vs. Magnum TA best of 7 for the US Title, Dusty vs. The 4 Horsemen, Boogie Woogie Man Jimmy Valiant vs. The Paul Jones Army (featuring a great heel turn by Manny Fernandez leading to the awesome tag team of him and Rick Rude), Steamboat vs. Flair, MULKEYMANIA!!!, and The Road Warriors killing the poo poo out of motherfuckers left and right.

Probably ROH, NXT and Lucha Underground

Sami Zayn. He seems to have a great instinct for how to make any match he's in look good. The Briscoes are a close second. They remind me of some of my friends.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

It's a cocktail of absurdity where a bunch of manchildren get together and try to tell the best story that they can through impressive athletics, improvisation and hammy acting while trying not to be knocked off-course by their petty human flaws. When it goes right, it's amazing. When it goes wrong, it's amazing.

I've been a fan since January of 1991. I tuned in to WWF Wrestling Challenge one day while channel surfing and saw Superfly Snuka take apart a jobber. I was thinking it was pretty rad and they hooked me when they did the Royal Rumble Report. They no longer ever go down the names of wrestlers in the Rumble match and that's a shame because it was kind of a sensory overload thing to me to show me a bunch of colorful/badass characters rapid fire like that. Even for the ones who sucked. When I told my friend about it, he was all, "You haven't been watching this? Where have you been?" Then we ended up having a big Royal Rumble party with some others.

Ultimate Warrior was probably my first favorite wrestler along with Jake Roberts and Big Boss Man. It kind of sucked that I came in right as Warrior was losing the belt, but I figured that he'd get it back soon enough. Nope.

I recall Earthquake being the first heel I genuinely liked. Except when he killed Damien.

I fell out of it a bit around 96/97. I didn't so much stop completely as I just kind of stopped paying attention most of the time. It was background noise and I remember very little about that time period.

I also stopped watching when they decided to turn Punk heel during his lengthy title reign because I got too frustrated with the product. I only read up on the results and the Shield brought me back in.

I really like what Chikara stands for and when they're firing on all cylinders, they're everything I love about wrestling. Probably the best time period for them was 2007. That whole year was rich in quality where the worst thing you'd get was having to sit through the occasional Mitch Ryder or Shane Storm match.

Still loving Chikara, especially since they've dialed down the complicated storytelling quite a bit. I mean, that year off storyline was interesting in its ambition, but it was not any good. While the current product suffers from relying too much on in-house talent instead of mixing it up with indie favorites, the in-ring stuff has been good enough to keep my attention. Really, it's the storytelling that keeps me coming back because even when you get past the silly comic book poo poo with mind-control and time-travel, you're still getting storylines that make sense with a beginning, middle and end. I can think of very few angles that were dropped without resolution and those were mostly because of people leaving abruptly.

NXT is hitting very similar notes for me lately and it makes me wish the main WWE product could have that level of competency.

Otherwise, I'm trying to branch out more these days. I bought a shitload of PWG DVDs, ordered the last PPVs for ROH and NJPW and I intend to get caught up on Lucha Underground.

On one hand, I'd say Dean Ambrose. There's something about him where even when the company shits on him, I don't care because I know he's going to be fine. He's too good not to stand out and endure. Everything he does is fun and has bite to it, except that mannequin segment. Not even he could make that work.

But the one guy I'm gravitating towards these days is Max Smashmaster from the Devastation Corporation. He started out as just the growling fat guy in a Road Warriors knockoff team (though far more entertaining than the Ascension). Over the past couple years, he's improved all over the place. He's got a ton of smug charisma in a gimmick that doesn't even need it, he's lost a ton of weight, he can do crazy aerial stuff and pull off some Ziggler-level bumps. Plus he sells chops like he's being covered in spiders. Dude rules.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

I generally see it as a live-action comic book or fighting game, with silly soap opera storylines and ridiculous characters complete with over-the-top entrances and finishing moves.

I started following wrestling after playing the WWF, ECW and WCW games on the Nintendo 64. I couldn't actually watch the stuff for a long time because it would only start airing on Finnish TV in 2001, but once that happened I became a full-blown 'rasslin fan. Of course, this was right around the Invasion storyline, which obviously sucked rear end for many reasons, but I though it was really cool at the time because I got to see a bunch of dudes I knew from the games. Once I got broadband internet a few years later, I got into Japanese (and, to a much lesser degree, indie) wrestling, started reading wrestling sites and forums, making music videos (mainly puro ones, which may or may not still be on youtube on my old account) and that kind of stuff.

Chris Jericho, I think. I loved playing as him in WCW/nWo Revenge, and when I finally got to see his matches and promos he turned out to be even more awesome than he was in the games.

Benoit was a pretty major blow but I still watched after that, then Mitsuharu Misawa died in the ring in 2009 and I pretty much just stopped. Completely lost interest in wrestling in general, only watching the occasional WWE show where something big happened (such as Bret Hart's return to Raw) or some PWG show my friend had downloaded, but I wasn't really enjoying it anymore. One of the reasons I lost interest may or may not have been the communities on the wrestling forums I used to frequent (the WWE Current section of the Wrestlecrap boards was so so, so goddamn bad), because it became impossible to enjoy the show without some rear end in a top hat sperglord complaining about :jerkbag: THE IWC :jerkbag: and/or telling everyone how wrong you were for liking something. loving morons.

To be quite honest, I still don't actively follow any promotion (I haven't seen a full episode of Raw or Smackdown in years, I only have an idea what's happening because I read PSP), but I do have WWE Network and NJPW World accounts and I'm enjoying watching the old and new stuff again. Even considered making videos again, but don't really want to put in the effort at this point. (Does anyone even watch wrestling MVs anymore? I never really did, I just enjoyed making my own)

I think the WWE Network was the main reason I kinda got back into it, being able to watch all those old shows was so great even though I didn't care for the current product that much. Daniel Bryan winning the title at Mania was also a big moment.

I did love NOAH in the early to mid 00s, so probably that. 90s AJPW, NJPW and FMW had a ton of good stuff as well.

NJPW, I guess. I haven't been watching recent New Japan that much (in fact only just got my NJPW World account today), but what I've seen has been entertaining.

Daniel Bryan. I have to admit I really wasn't a fan of him when he was in the indies, and even when the whole YES thing started I was kind of iffy on him (Me a few years ago: "what the gently caress kind of a catchphrase is YES?") but he completely won me over by being a fantastic wrestler and an entertaining personality. Seems like a decent guy outside the ring as well, which is also cool.

edit: I prufreed gud

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Jan 15, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
It's a soap opera like Eastenders or Coronation Street except there's a comeuppance. Some sort of resolution. Involving a chair or a piledriver.

Since Wrestlemania 3, I was crazy about Ricky the Dragon Steamboat vs. Macho Man

Ricky Steamboat I think. And the Can Am Connection for tags, closely followed by the Midnights as soon as I saw them. I love tag teams.

I watched from 97-92, and sort of stopped for 5 years, started again in 1997 or 8. Watching Mankind fall off the Cell was what made me rabid again.

WCW in about 1989 was the best. Best tag teams, most real, most understandable fighting. Ric Flair on top, the Midnight Express, Lex Luger, Sting. loved them all. Dr. Death Steve Williams, with JR on commentary. Just fabulous.

Although 2006 ROH was great too. I bought a shitload of DVDs from that time period. I like rabid crowds, smaller venues, great wrestling.

NXT is my favourite thing, because the rigging and small venue reminds me of WCW. As does everything else about it. I don't watch much else to be honest. I have the network.

Prrobably Sami Zayn, or Daniel Bryan.

• Locked thread