Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

TOML encouraged me to do this, so, here's what I sent to sweetroy for my take of scum after D1.

quote:

hey dude,

I thought for extra end of game fun the players might like to hear what an observer was screaming at their TV while watching the game. I thought you might like the laugh as well. I'm a bit sorry to inflict this on you without warning, so feel free to shelve it if you don't wanna deal with it.

I'm only gonna do this write up for day 1 as I think it's the initial take that would be funny. I can't loving believe it but after having a google doc open just to 'keep quick notes' it's turned into a full on spreadsheet, here's a link to my shame.

quick summaries:
Anidav - not really doing it for me, probably town.
Asphyxious - probably town, hasn't said much as had some lol accusations flung his way
Bifauxnen - SCUUUUUUM OMG HOW CAN YOU NOT SEE THIS???
black_tangled - Very likely town.
GoldStandardConure - has posted but hasn't said much. probably town as he's quietly implied Bif & beet are bad paranoid and evil respectively
Gough Suppressant - probably town, happy to lynch him anyway for data. I'm a bad person.
Harold Krell - probably town, too awkward to be a mastermind, has had a lot of poo poo flung his way for very bad reasons.
Matthew Beet - SCUM SCUM SCUM
Mithranderp - quiet scum???
Plotterboy - hasn't said jack poo poo.
Quantum Mechanic - probably town, wanted to voice of reason the vote against Krell
SKY COQ - dunno, has said almost nothing but bandwagoned against Krell
Small Keating - I think town, I think he has been voting just to get someone lynched for info. low post content
Splode - either very dumb or very scum. Sorry dude :
thatbastardken - same as small keats, just voting for a lynching for the hell of it. low post content
Those On My Left - suss. he supported bif v asphyxious on thin grounds and drummed up bif support, has shitposted a fair bit. worth watching closely.
tithin - not sure. he hasn't acted out of character for his laid back day1nolynch4lyfe attitude, but he has cast doubt on bif. probably town I have no read at this point.

In depth bullshit-

Bif, Beet & splode are scum. Bif & Beet have been doing "just saying" accusations and poo poo stirring all day, but also defending each other and accusing p. much everyone else. Splode bandwagoned with Bif, and was very determined to keep people on track to vote Krell. He also pointed out that Coq had cast an invalid vote for Krell very quick. Both Beet and Bif have noted the splode bandwagoned twice but they've downplayed it and only mentioned it after setting up other more "worthy targets".

Gough I think is town but I would've been ok with lynching him to get info on Bif, Beet & splode. At lot of the gough drama went down when it was still thought even 1 vote could lynch before it was cleared up, and the drama was pushed by the three shitskiteers.

Mithranderp I'm not 100% sure of, she could be scum as she's agreed quietly with Bif and splode, and Bif defended Mith, but she could also be a herring that'll get killed to throw off suspicion from Bif (my friend died ).

The people I'm positive are town are Harold Krell and black_tangled. I think Harold hadn't said anything incriminating when bif and then splode ten minutes later threw votes his way, and then started poo poo posting up a storm about him.

I think black_tangled is town because Harold would have been lynched if she didn't withdraw her vote. She was in a very safe position to ride it out and let him die if she was mafia. After she withdrew the vote count for Krell was at 8 for a while and then collapsed.

I predicted Beet would drop the last vote if no one else did in the last 10-15 minutes and be all "For data!", but then a few others shamefully pulled their votes and his wouldn't have made a difference. If black_tangleed is scum and let the vote against Krell collapse to keep him around as a future decoy/comfortable punching bag, very well done but this is getting too nth dimensional chess.

I like how if any one of bif/beet/splode flip town I'm boned, but I'm going with instinct. I really wish there had been a day 1 lynch of gough/beet/bif/splode. I'd even take Harold at this point over no lynch.

What I learned from this is that I am bad and dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Lol that was a great write up though.

Small Keating
Dec 24, 2012

That you, Jim? Paul Keating here. Just because you swallowed a fucking dictionary when you were about 15 doesn't give you the right to pour a bucket of shit over the rest of us.

Those On My Left posted:

Truth

Btw, Small Keating, did you have any suspicions about who the scum were?

Honestly, not a clue. You in particular I thought were town because you provided so much How to Play Mafia info.

My idea was to kick in votes where possible to get near-likely lynches to occur in the knowledge it was likely to be a townie, and to incite people to stick to their (likely inaccurate) word from the previous day when the sun dawned on a new day (which seemed to work nicely and I take some small amount of credit for encouraging a few morning turbolynches), and if a scum had to go down in the process I could use it to back up my cred with town.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Small Keating posted:

Honestly, not a clue. You in particular I thought were town because you provided so much How to Play Mafia info.

My idea was to kick in votes where possible to get near-likely lynches to occur in the knowledge it was likely to be a townie, and to incite people to stick to their (likely inaccurate) word from the previous day when the sun dawned on a new day (which seemed to work nicely and I take some small amount of credit for encouraging a few morning turbolynches), and if a scum had to go down in the process I could use it to back up my cred with town.

I seriously went all gamblers fallacy on you thinking you couldn't be scum again. Then called for anidavs head repeatedly!

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Tommofork posted:

TOML encouraged me to do this, so, here's what I sent to sweetroy for my take of scum after D1.

What I learned from this is that I am bad and dumb.

Haha, this was great. Hi-five, Beet! I hope our "poo poo-stirring" is becoming more understood, but the scum weren't having any of it this time and kept their heads down way too well.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Bifauxnen posted:

Haha, this was great. Hi-five, Beet! I hope our "poo poo-stirring" is becoming more understood, but the scum weren't having any of it this time and kept their heads down way too well.

:hfive:
Well we either keep it going or declare early we won't do it anymore because if we change and don't comment we'll get lynched next game.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

I was thinking that too, that if I wanted to try a more quiet game I'd have to say something before roles were handed out.

But then I figured there's no way in hell I could stick to that anyway.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Bif why the hell did you suicide? Between that and Anime Davids meltdown it just completely broke my brain and I had no idea what anyone was doing.

When I decided to just go gently caress it and start pointing fingers at people who werent Plot and Splode, I pretty much flipped a coin between QM and TOML as they were both too quiet and smart for my liking.

So close...

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Matthew Beet posted:

Lol that was a great write up though.

Bifauxnen posted:

Glad you liked it. I felt dumb as hell when I came back to the write up, noticed TOML, and realised I'd forgotten about him for a few days. I understood what you and beet were doing, I thought you both did too and were using it as camo. What I learned from this game is don't take day 1 seriously at all!

GoldStandardConure posted:

Bif why the hell did you suicide? Between that and Anime Davids meltdown it just completely broke my brain and I had no idea what anyone was doing.

I like that from day3 onwards my notes because sparse and are mostly WTF and OMG, it broke me too.

Also scum doc & dead doc were great. :allears:

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

When I decided to just go gently caress it and start pointing fingers at people who werent Plot and Splode, I pretty much flipped a coin between QM and TOML as they were both too quiet and smart for my liking.

So close...

I also had no idea what anyone was doing. It was more poo poo-stirring but targeted inwards. Also, when Harold never got the hammer on D1 (I could've sworn he'd had 9 votes that just got backtracked on later) I thought I'd maybe have time to maybe back off from a hammer too. And I thought if everyone was really so gung-ho on Anidav they'd just stick with him instead of me, expecting me to switch back. I was hoping to lure out more scummy bandwagons with my bait, though. I thought it had worked on Coq at least, but it didn't really go anywhere!

If it had been Anidav instead of me though, things actually might not have even turned out that different. I'd have been utterly sold on Beet as scum.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
Hmmm Bifs acting kinda suss, and MUYB and Beet are at each others throats, I think I'm getting the hang of this.

Lol HK

Bif what... :psyduck:

Anidav what the hell :psyduck: :psyduck:

Splode nooooooo :psypop:

That was pretty much my thought process over the course of the game.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Bifauxnen posted:

I also had no idea what anyone was doing. It was more poo poo-stirring but targeted inwards. Also, when Harold never got the hammer on D1 (I could've sworn he'd had 9 votes that just got backtracked on later) I thought I'd maybe have time to maybe back off from a hammer too. And I thought if everyone was really so gung-ho on Anidav they'd just stick with him instead of me, expecting me to switch back. I was hoping to lure out more scummy bandwagons with my bait, though. I thought it had worked on Coq at least, but it didn't really go anywhere!

If it had been Anidav instead of me though, things actually might not have even turned out that different. I'd have been utterly sold on Beet as scum.

Harlold did get 9 votes on D1, but it was only for a brief shining moment before tangled_black withdrew her vote. Votefinder has him as getting lynched on D1, so maybe the hammer wasn't in effect then for some reason? I don't know how votefinder works.

Eediot Jedi fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jan 20, 2015

Quantum Mechanic
Apr 25, 2010

Just another fuckwit who thrives on fake moral outrage.
:derp:Waaaah the Christians are out to get me:derp:

lol abbottsgonnawin

Haha what, I was terrible. Consistently hosed up every call I made except Harold Krell being town.

Sorry for being spotty, I legit got absolutely smashed at the office the last two days. I have way too much work to do.

Not regretting no d1 lynch, though. Would only have hit town anyway. Even if it was Tithin's idea.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Hmmm Bifs acting kinda suss, and MUYB and Beet are at each others throats, I think I'm getting the hang of this.

Lol HK

Bif what... :psyduck:

Anidav what the hell :psyduck: :psyduck:

Splode nooooooo :psypop:

That was pretty much my thought process over the course of the game.

I basically poo poo all over the thread every mafia game and pretend i know what im doing. that's why it's always fun!

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Quantum Mechanic posted:

Haha what, I was terrible. Consistently hosed up every call I made except Harold Krell being town.

Sorry for being spotty, I legit got absolutely smashed at the office the last two days. I have way too much work to do.

Not regretting no d1 lynch, though. Would only have hit town anyway. Even if it was Tithin's idea.

:argh:

go read my angry ranting about no d1 lynch. we may as well start the game off on night 1 then! :argh:

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Yeah, my old way of thinking about D1 lynch was, the odds of hitting scum are at their absolute lowest. And we have nothing to go on, so anyone that can actually get a successful bandwagon going on them is probably one that the scum are helping with.

But now I thought of it this way. Apart from having a town vig of course, the only standard way the town has to take out the scum is during the day by lynching. So why not go for it whenever possible and see if you get lucky? This is also the time when it will hurt least for town to lose one.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

And if we'd cleared Harold out of the way on D1, the vig might've been able to choose a better target later instead of still having him as a total unknown that proved nothing with his death.

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

always d1 lynch. you don't have any data so you can pick the most annoying player and turbolynch over nothing. that's my playstyle

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

I think a D1 no-lynch makes sense if every person who is town is also a cop. Got good odds of finding something out then.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Actually half town are cops, the other half are vigilantes. Scum kill twice on every second night. :v:

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Never not lynch and never not post. Mafia rules.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

Matthew Beet posted:

Never not lynch and never not post. Mafia rules.

*sleeps in, misses all the posting, is GSC*

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

*lives in 1962 Perth*

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Should've done FIFO posting imo

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

webmeister posted:

Should've done FIFO posting imo

outsourced it imo

Gough Suppressant
Nov 14, 2008

*goes to city, misses sign up, is muyb*

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
:psyduck:

Fruity Gordo
Aug 5, 2013

Neurotic, Impotent Rage!

bell jar posted:

always d1 lynch. you don't have any data so you can pick the most annoying player and turbolynch over nothing. that's my playstyle
same. last game voted mills day 1 bc yolo :j:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
I think my quotes on Beet being scum were hilarious.

• Locked thread