Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frog Act
Feb 10, 2012

i like to play a cleric in videogames

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

SarutosZero posted:

by the time you are very powerful the sword guy will always be wearing cool looking stuff

but with wizards you are hoping the designers didnt just give you a bunch of weird robes with a matching dunce cap. Sometimes wizards get to wear cool clothes but I dont know if I could take that chance

yeah but at that point in the game the wizard can blow up ur brain witrh a single thought, or travel back in time and murder your grandfather, or conjure a catastrophic storm of magical energy on ur rear end, bitch a wizard dont need fancy clothes to gently caress you up. meanwhile while the warrior looks cool, his attacks consist of a million variations of hit guy with sword very hard. maybe a charge ability and a shield bash if ur feeling fancy

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
wearing cool stuff and looking cool is one of the most important stats, in any game

i dont care if you can cast aneurysm on a guy's great-grandfather through time if you look like a huge ponce

Zeuhl
Dec 15, 2009

hand is free
in some types of games, mageguy is the hard difficulty mode, and SOMETIMES more fun overall if
you aren't feeling like easy-mode swordguy

but sometimes designers spent more time making swordguy into funguy

someone mentioned Tales games, I noticed the mages are getting more fun to play

Rowan was amazing in Xillia, and the girl in Hearts R with the paintbrush is really fun as well

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Doctor Goat posted:

wearing cool stuff and looking cool is one of the most important stats, in any game

i dont care if you can cast aneurysm on a guy's great-grandfather through time if you look like a huge ponce

lol your pathetic party of fashion divas would be mercilessly crushed by my party of mistmatched but powergamed misfits

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
mistmatched

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Your powergaming is weak if you can't work out a way to wear cool clothes, too.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Doctor Goat posted:

Your powergaming is weak if you can't work out a way to wear cool clothes, too.

fashion always comes before stats, in my opinion

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

sharrrk posted:

fashion always comes before stats, in my opinion

whats the point of being all powerful and smashing dudes if you dont look good while doing it

Bolverkur
Aug 9, 2012

i hated how black mage changed in ff1

although 8-bit theatre made epic use of that

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
back in the day i convinced a GM in ragnarok online to make me a clone of the poop hat that gives you like 10% more damage against humanoids and make it a bongun hat instead so i looked cool, instead of like an idiot

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
sadly, the gm was unable to prevent you from looking like an idiot

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
there's only so much one can accomplish in ragnarok online

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

punch guy best

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

mabels big day posted:

punch guy best

Demifiend best.

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Depends on how satisfying either one is, some games have seriously bad magic or limp and lifeless close combat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
Anyone who plays an elder scrolls game as a thief/archer might as well start cheating

• Locked thread