Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Captain Log posted:

"I AINT DYING! Choo choo motherfucker!"
:toot::birddrugs::toot:

Duzzy where are you at in the states again?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich

DumbWhiteGuy posted:

I think Conor would take Stephens pretty well but Swanson might be cool. I'd really pick Frankie over just about anyone, chad has looked mostly great lately, and Aldo has just won for so long that it's hard to pick against him. All are cool fights.

Conor vs Swanson would be an amazing matchup. I think Stephens is shot and shouldn't be ranked at featherweight despite having beaten Elkins.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Bendo and Cerrone should rematch on every single PPV this year, I think.

Also no one else has mentioned this, but am I wrong to think that Conor is a little more hittable than a guy fighting Aldo should be? He gets tagged a bunch even in his most one-sided victories. Maybe he's not respecting his opponents' power, but it doesn't seem like a good quality if you have to go 5 rounds with Jose Aldo.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

so is mcgregor a total genetic freak at that weight or is it a weak division, or what? he is brutalizing these little dudes, it's amazing

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Agreed posted:

so is mcgregor a total genetic freak at that weight or is it a weak division, or what? he is brutalizing these little dudes, it's amazing

Featherweight has one of the strongest top 10s in the UFC at this point and it turns out that Conor is really good.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Agreed posted:

Featherweight is a very strong division and McGregor is clearly very good, but he hasn't fought the real animals yet. Aside from Aldo, both Mendes and Frankie are elite guys (and happen to be fantastic wrestlers), and Lamas and Swanson are really, really good. The Korean Zombie, though out for the duration of his military service, is a great fighter with an interesting style.

This doesn't mean that MacGregor is bad, but it means that he's untested against the top class at featherweight. He's also not fought any wrestlers of merit and with Lentz, Bermudez, Guida, Elkins etc. around there's clearly been a concentrated effort not to give him bad match ups. Again, doesn't mean that he's bad, just that he's untested.

e: it's kinda cool how many featherweights have emerged despite Aldo's reign of terror.

Zip!
Aug 14, 2008

Keep on pushing
little buddy

I don't know about really good, certainly not as good as he thinks he is. That said, after the 1st round I can see why the UFC is putting so much hype behind him - he's really fun to watch.

Good value for money in the presser too, although I can see his schtick going from loveable irish scamp to being really irritating real quick if he somehow beats Aldo.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Zip! posted:

I don't know about really good

he is really good. he's demolished a string of solid guys in devastating fashion using high level techniques that Fatherdog illuminated more thoroughly than I can:

fatherdog posted:

Conor has a skilled striker, and he's also fought guys that have let him maximize his advantages.

He's very fast, he has a very precise understanding and sense of distance, and those two things allow him both to be very creative in terms of the strikes he throws, and to counter well on people coming in on him. It also lets him fight with his hands moving around a lot with his head relatively unprotected, because his ability to be at exactly the right distance not to get hit when he needs to be is well developed (and the the movement of his hands make his punches even more unpredictable).

Siver fought him in exactly the wrong way; he gave him a ton of space and exchanged a lot of kicks. Conor's a better kicker with longer reach, and the fact that Siver gave him space and let him set the pace let him throw basically whatever strikes whenever he wanted.

When you get a guy whose strengths are allied to his diversity/creativity and mobility, the ways you beat him are to take away his tools. A pressure fighter that walks him down with good movement cutting off the cage is going to give him big problems, because he won't have the room to use all the techniques he wants and he'll have to react instead of setting the pace (although his ability to counter is still going to make him dangerous to come in on like that.) Fortunately for Conor, there really isn't someone who fits that description at feather, but if you want an example of what I'm talking about look at some of Rick Story's matches where he walks dudes down and beats the poo poo out of their bodies.

Unfortunately for Conor, the major other way you remove his tools is taking away his mobility and speed in changing distance and there IS a guy like that at feather - Aldo is going to kick the living gently caress out of his legs. Conor IS talented and skilled as a striker, I wouldn't be surprised if in the first and even the second round he looks good and even makes Aldo look bad for a bit - but in the later rounds, as his thighs purple and his footwork slows, Aldo is going to murder him.

is he good enough to beat Aldo or Frankie or Mendes? that's the exciting part of the MacGregor Chronicles. he could be. he is, at any rate, a good and fresh contender which is something to be prized in 2015.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Aldo's English probably isn't good enough for him to keep up with McGregor's rapid fire trash talk, which is actually a pretty crafty move. I can see why he's champ

Charles Gnarwin
Jul 31, 2014

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

One thing that impressed me is that despite all the adrenaline, Conor still had the wits to say that he meant round 2. High level trash talk not seen since Chael Sonnen was setting up his next devastating loss.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Mr. Nice! posted:

I think McGregor absolutely schooled Siver. Siver had absolutely nothing for McGregor. Conor is very good and an Aldo fight is going to be a lot more competitive than all of you think.

mcgregor is really good at looking casual when he gets hit. once you pick up on it it is very telling. i think the comparisons to sugar ray leonard are apt in the following ways:
  • his style of playing for the judges is very effective
  • he is very entertaining and talented
  • i loving hate him

i agree that the fight with aldo will be very competitive though

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Marching Powder posted:

no. based purely on facts dc could beat anyone in the top 10 and definitely beat anyone not gus / rumble at any time. apples and oranges.

lmao

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
loving crybaby diabetes reg valjohnson will lose the eventual rematch to cummins

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

fatherdog posted:

Nilbog managed to locate this -

Which is close enough that he avoids probation, despite still being an idiot for complaining about the nonexistent groundswell of posts claiming Siver would win

can we contest this because saying something is a 'good' bet isn't the same as saying 'it's a likely outcome', and I would go as far as saying it implies the opposite

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

fatherdog posted:

Conor has a skilled striker, and he's also fought guys that have let him maximize his advantages.

He's very fast, he has a very precise understanding and sense of distance, and those two things allow him both to be very creative in terms of the strikes he throws, and to counter well on people coming in on him. It also lets him fight with his hands moving around a lot with his head relatively unprotected, because his ability to be at exactly the right distance not to get hit when he needs to be is well developed (and the the movement of his hands make his punches even more unpredictable).

Siver fought him in exactly the wrong way; he gave him a ton of space and exchanged a lot of kicks. Conor's a better kicker with longer reach, and the fact that Siver gave him space and let him set the pace let him throw basically whatever strikes whenever he wanted.

When you get a guy whose strengths are allied to his diversity/creativity and mobility, the ways you beat him are to take away his tools. A pressure fighter that walks him down with good movement cutting off the cage is going to give him big problems, because he won't have the room to use all the techniques he wants and he'll have to react instead of setting the pace (although his ability to counter is still going to make him dangerous to come in on like that.) Fortunately for Conor, there really isn't someone who fits that description at feather, but if you want an example of what I'm talking about look at some of Rick Story's matches where he walks dudes down and beats the poo poo out of their bodies.

Unfortunately for Conor, the major other way you remove his tools is taking away his mobility and speed in changing distance and there IS a guy like that at feather - Aldo is going to kick the living gently caress out of his legs. Conor IS talented and skilled as a striker, I wouldn't be surprised if in the first and even the second round he looks good and even makes Aldo look bad for a bit - but in the later rounds, as his thighs purple and his footwork slows, Aldo is going to murder him.

conor's power makes him a threat early, but he even seemed to be slowing by the end of the first against siver

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Kenny was also a very good wrestler

this is a bald faced lie

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
kenny florian is an expert on wrestling in the same way that hermes franca is an expert on consent

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I loved Aldo laughing at him. Respect to Conor, but Aldo is a severe step up in class compared to any featherweight who isn't Frankie or Money.

I really want Frankie and Chad to square off.

DumbWhiteGuy
Jul 4, 2007

You need haters. Fellas if you got 20 haters, you need 40 of them motherfuckers. If there's any haters in here that don't have nobody to hate on, feel free to hate on me

david carmichael posted:

kenny florian is an expert on wrestling in the same way that hermes franca is an expert on consent

poo poo

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
One time on an FX or FS1 card some dude was going for a single and Kenny was adamant that the only single leg finish was the high crotch.

tesilential
Nov 22, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Can't wait until Connor beats Aldo and all of you cry. It feels good to like a winner for a change. :)

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger
Connor in the post-fight kept going on about Aldo being skinny and the body of a "12-year old boy".

what

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

tesilential posted:

Can't wait until Connor beats Aldo and all of you cry. It feels good to like a winner for a change. :)

Put a probation bet on it right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

• Locked thread