Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Woolie Wool
Jun 2, 2006

What is the reason for mountain kingsnakes specifically not being recommended as beginner snakes? I have been considering getting a snake in the future (though not in my current habitation as I don't think my roommates would be accepting of a snake) and I had a pyromelanus mountain kingsnake at the top of my list (corn snake being #2) because I had heard they were much like other kingsnakes (I love the faux coral snake look) but liked slightly cooler temperatures and were less inclined to bite, which would make them easier, but I guess not? :confused:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
Looking around online, the only real thing mentioned is that younger ones tend to bite. If anyone else has input, I would love to know as well. These are some cute little ones!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Any idea what may have happened to Aberlin, here?

Looking specifically at:

Just looks too weirdly circular to be evidence of a bad shed or something, and there aren't any other marks on her like it. Is it evidence of scale rot? She was in an alternative enclosure for a week or so while I got her main enclosure truly deep-cleaned. :ohdear:

my cat is norris fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Feb 23, 2024

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
Probably a bad shed. Any other symptoms arise since then?

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

No, she's eating fine, getting around fine, still trying to convince me she's a spicy little cobra. I'll keep an eye on things.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

my cat is norris posted:

Any idea what may have happened to Aberlin, here?

Looking specifically at:

Just looks too weirdly circular to be evidence of a bad shed or something, and there aren't any other marks on her like it. Is it evidence of scale rot? She was in an alternative enclosure for a week or so while I got her main enclosure truly deep-cleaned. :ohdear:

Does she have any access to any non-enclosed heat source? That looks dried out to me?

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

I bought a weird juvenile potato the other day:

Bollock Monkey
Jan 21, 2007

The Almighty
Pretty stripes!

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer

Tenchrono posted:

What a lovely potato! The yellow scales really pop with these snazzy stripes.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Tenchrono posted:

“Are you checking out my sweater? Yeah, it’s pretty great.”

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

He's a great little(for now) Skink. He's my first reptile and its cool how personable and almost dog like he is. He's a little hissy still but much less than when we got him the other week and its super fun to watch him cruise around his terrarium. We've had him out of it a few times to explore and he goes sicko-mode exploring the different rooms we've put him in.

Heres a photo of him trying to figure out how to get up on the table.

Tenchrono fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Mar 26, 2024

Artsygrrl
Apr 24, 2007

I'm just here.

Grimey Drawer
He's adorable, and that gaze merely hides his plans of conquering the table. ...soon...

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.

Tenchrono posted:

He's a great little(for now) Skink. He's my first reptile and its cool how personable and almost dog like he is. He's a little hissy still but much less than when we got him the other week and its super fun to watch him cruise around his terrarium. We've had him out of it a few times to explore and he goes sicko-mode exploring the different rooms we've put him in.

Heres a photo of him trying to figure out how to get up on the table.

You should get this pic printed in the proper size to fit in the picture frame behind that pretty guy.

Jimmybob
Mar 7, 2005
Glad to see other people have also recently acquired potatoes with stubby legs. I got mine 3 weeks ago. It's still a bit hissy but getting used to being handled. So cute how excited it is when I put a little plate of canned dog food in the enclosure. Tongue flicks and sniffing like crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

I took some pictures of some reptile friends at the National Zoo last year, and kind of forgot about them until recently. Is it cool if I post a few of them here? My current life circumstances don't allow me own any herps but I kept several as pets when I was younger.

This is a Mangrove Snake and they always make me think of Dagobah even though I'm pretty sure that was a California Kingsnake in the movie.