Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hobo By Design
Mar 17, 2009

Hobo By Intent or Robo Hobo?
Ramrod XTreme
well it was just s'okay but the writing and characterization was cool. like a good fantasy novel turned into an okay videogame. Raziel is like the biggest mary sue but is an adorably retarded prick despite it.

supposedly Amy Hennig is working for ea now, rip

shits basically irrelevant now but it's okay to like old things, there used to be a lok smiley but it appears to be gone

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
I have all of the games, which should I start with?

Or I guess what order do I play them in. Also any tips for getting maximum enjoyment out of it?

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
Each game was unfinished, sometimes massively, and I think the writers got weirded out by the amount of slash fiction there was about raziel and kain.

Hoodrich
Feb 4, 2011

by Reene

MarioTeachesWiping posted:

Or I guess what order do I play them in. Also any tips for getting maximum enjoyment out of it?

gently caress off with your long rear end custom text thread ruining homo

Wormskull
Aug 23, 2009

Just s'okay is probably one of the worst things I've ever seen written by someone. gently caress you OP. Topic locked.

Hobo By Design
Mar 17, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
most of the games work by themselves (sr2 is pretty heavy on exposition tho) so whatever order works but Defiance goes last, it might be best to skip blood omen 2 cause it was bad. a different company made it and a character who was literally decapitated comes back for no reason, the main series writer (who didn't write bo2) had to bust out parallel timelines to save face

Doctor Goat posted:

I think the writers got weirded out by the amount of slash fiction there was about raziel and kain.
It was a simpler time.

Wormskull posted:

Just s'okay is probably one of the worst things I've ever seen written by someone. gently caress you OP. Topic locked.
:(

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

MarioTeachesWiping posted:

I'm only playing for the fun 3D gameplay: Soul Reaver --> Soul Reaver 2 --> Defiance
I care about the plot and I have something I can sculpt in between PS1 loading times also I'm fine with 640x480 games: Blood Omen --> Soul Reaver --> Soul Reaver 2 --> Defiance
I'll play anything --> Blood Omen --> Soul Reaver --> Soul Reaver 2 --> Blood Omen 2 --> Defiance

Bobby The Rookie
Jun 2, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwikcy0mllg

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
i enjoyed and played the first one on the PS1. i never played the rest.
i feel thats enough to have done the series justice as that raziel guy wants to be kain and everything more but he's not. he's worse than raiden from mgs2 (not revengeance)

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

He just wants to murk Kain because Kain was a shithead. The original ending was funny since it was just "Raziel kills every vampire ever"

And then you play SR2 and it just gets weird but sort of cool and then Defiance just made me go "gently caress this"

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

The only one of these I remeber very well was the one where you are kain and you eat homeless people to heal.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003

Chucat posted:

He just wants to murk Kain because Kain was a shithead. The original ending was funny since it was just "Raziel kills every vampire ever"

And then you play SR2 and it just gets weird but sort of cool and then Defiance just made me go "gently caress this"

i like kain being a shithead. its nice to play a protagonist whos not good and doesnt claim to be.

Pookum
Mar 5, 2011

gaming is life
i played the one on dreamcast and it was pretty good but it had some bullshit puzzle stuff in it. story was cool though. i think it was soul reaver the one where you are a blue vampire and kain cut your wings off

metricchip
Jul 16, 2014

I sucked at those games but I still enjoyed them. I remember some bullshit 3D platforming segments that enraged me to no end.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

VideoGames posted:

i like kain being a shithead. its nice to play a protagonist whos not good and doesnt claim to be.

I like Kain being a shithead I'm just saying Raziel's motivation was he hates shitheads (namely shitheads who throw him into acid baths for growing fancy wings)

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
orignal blood omen is pure ownage. they should do a hd remake for pc and mobile devices imo

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
i thought kain was just a dick until i remembered he was a medieval noble before getting snacked on. he's still a dick but that explains why he's got hella pride and all

i forgot how weird the plot was and it owns, thanks for reminding me

SombereroLad
May 18, 2006

WAHAHAHAHAHA
Fun Shoe
i really liked the voice acting :3

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Das Butterbrot posted:

orignal blood omen is pure ownage. they should do a hd remake for pc and mobile devices imo

its available on psn

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Wormskull posted:

Eleanor Pwnsevelt
Dec 25, 2003

the voice acting was pretty good

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

SombereroLad posted:

The cool bit about those games is seeing what other things the VAs are in.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Chucat posted:

The cool bit about those games is seeing what other things the VAs are in.

Anna Gunn went from playing a ghost with a half-eaten face to a main character on a popular TV show who was constantly loathed by goony goons.

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

Blood Omen is great for that old school isometric action. I feel its aged the best overall and yet Soul Reaver is a solid game. But, play the DC version.

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless
Here are my thoughts on the games:

Blood Omen is a very weird game. It's Zelda-ish with a convoluted plot and world, but the actual storytelling is very obtuse and the action is shonky and unbalanced as hell. The main difficulty in the game (particularly in later bits) is having the patience to sit around long enough for your mana to slowly regenerate so you can murder everything with spells. However, it does have a huge game world and lots of stuff to pick up - far more than any of the other games below.

Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver was great and probably the best in the series. Raziel was an interesting protagonist with (especially at the time) very unique powers and facing enemies that require unique methods to kill them. Its main failing was that it sort of FEELS unfinished - like there was supposed to be more to it than there was.

Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 2 improved on Legacy of Kain in terms of graphics and really intensely focused on storytelling. However, the environments got smaller and a lot of the gameplay mechanics from the first Legacy of Kain got stripped out, including the need to kill enemies with unique methods. It's an almost entirely linear experience - no sidequests, little in the way of power-ups, no real boss battles and relatively few (and small) environments. The story was insane in a good way.

Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen 2 is a mess. It somehow looks worse than Soul Reaver 2 and the plot has weak connections to the franchise (ie: see a definitely dead character showing up with no explanation because someone forgot to read the source material). Gameplay-wise there's more game in there than in Soul Reaver 2, but overall it's relatively simplistic combat and exploring. At least there are some power-ups.

Legacy of Kain: Defiance is a bit of a disappointment. It alternates between Kain and Raziel, but the two characters handle almost exactly the same - a wasted opportunity to really differentiate the two. Kain's levels tend to be more combat-heavy and Raziel's more puzzle/platforming-centric. Combat is re-vamped and made to look 'spectacular', but in doing so also becomes ludicrously comic, with unreasonably long air-combos becoming the norm. The platforming often felt tedious (partially due to the fixed-perspective camera) and there are a LOT of repeated environments. The storyline was obviously designed to close a major chapter while still leaving an opening for a continuation. Unfortunately this continuation isn't likely so the ending feels a little hollow, though not totally unsatisfying.

If I had to rate them, I'd say Soul Reaver 1 > Blood Omen 1 > Soul Reaver 2 > Defiance > Blood Omen 2.

Thank you for reading my review.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I actually played bits and pieces of all these games and only the original Legacy of Kain was any good. Anyway, that's my story.

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Anna Gunn went from playing a ghost with a half-eaten face to a main character on a popular TV show who was constantly loathed by goony goons.

She actually went from Seinfeld's onetime girlfriend that George mistook a police woman kissing a horse for to whatever dumb poo poo you're talking about.

ZergRushing
Oct 1, 2004
VAE VICTUS

Hobo By Design
Mar 17, 2009

Ramrod XTreme

Soul Reaver posted:

:words:Thank you for reading my review.

ty for sharing.

sr2 is my favorite videogame story, which is embarassing but w/e. I could go on about how player and player-character perspective are just perfectly consonant with raziel but :effort:. in terms of pure gameplay blood omen 1 holds up the best.

also rip megabyte :(

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Soul Reaver posted:

Here are my thoughts on the games:

Blood Omen is a very weird game. It's Zelda-ish with a convoluted plot and world, but the actual storytelling is very obtuse and the action is shonky and unbalanced as hell. The main difficulty in the game (particularly in later bits) is having the patience to sit around long enough for your mana to slowly regenerate so you can murder everything with spells. However, it does have a huge game world and lots of stuff to pick up - far more than any of the other games below.

Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver was great and probably the best in the series. Raziel was an interesting protagonist with (especially at the time) very unique powers and facing enemies that require unique methods to kill them. Its main failing was that it sort of FEELS unfinished - like there was supposed to be more to it than there was.

Legacy of Kain: Soul Reaver 2 improved on Legacy of Kain in terms of graphics and really intensely focused on storytelling. However, the environments got smaller and a lot of the gameplay mechanics from the first Legacy of Kain got stripped out, including the need to kill enemies with unique methods. It's an almost entirely linear experience - no sidequests, little in the way of power-ups, no real boss battles and relatively few (and small) environments. The story was insane in a good way.

Legacy of Kain: Blood Omen 2 is a mess. It somehow looks worse than Soul Reaver 2 and the plot has weak connections to the franchise (ie: see a definitely dead character showing up with no explanation because someone forgot to read the source material). Gameplay-wise there's more game in there than in Soul Reaver 2, but overall it's relatively simplistic combat and exploring. At least there are some power-ups.

Legacy of Kain: Defiance is a bit of a disappointment. It alternates between Kain and Raziel, but the two characters handle almost exactly the same - a wasted opportunity to really differentiate the two. Kain's levels tend to be more combat-heavy and Raziel's more puzzle/platforming-centric. Combat is re-vamped and made to look 'spectacular', but in doing so also becomes ludicrously comic, with unreasonably long air-combos becoming the norm. The platforming often felt tedious (partially due to the fixed-perspective camera) and there are a LOT of repeated environments. The storyline was obviously designed to close a major chapter while still leaving an opening for a continuation. Unfortunately this continuation isn't likely so the ending feels a little hollow, though not totally unsatisfying.

If I had to rate them, I'd say Soul Reaver 1 > Blood Omen 1 > Soul Reaver 2 > Defiance > Blood Omen 2.

Thank you for reading my review.

You are welcome. Thank you for the effortpost on Soul Reaver, Soul Reaver.

Budohead
Feb 13, 2011

Head Case

SombereroLad posted:

RIP tony jay

Black Baby Goku
Apr 2, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Legacy of Gay: Taint Reaper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hobo By Design
Mar 17, 2009

Ramrod XTreme
fun fact: soul reaver was originally going to be a different game called Shifter until higher ups said "hey we got the rights to this franchise, make a legacy of kain game now" and it turned out okay. Then when the game was mostly done higher ups said "hey we're gonna make more of these so change the ending" and a ton of poo poo got changed. PSM back in the day had detailed strats and poo poo on the unreleased version, strategies for bosses and getting all the elemental reavers and stuff. A lot of games have cut content but it's super-obvious that agme is incomplete, it's even missing a boss (three bosses, actually)!

I saw a Rahab clan symbol in the game Knock Knock, by icepick lodge. Someone over there likes that poo poo :)

Hobo By Design fucked around with this message at 09:22 on Jan 21, 2015

• Locked thread