Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***
After a great revelation in the 'Dumb Moves in Marketing' thread I thought this'd be a good idea to find similar stuff as I LOVE hearing about stuff like this.

Know a company that used to do something awesome our unique? A food brand that used to have X with Y? It's all fair game here.

I'll start with a shamelessly copy-paste but it's a worthwhile one:

quote:

InediblePenguin posted:

They used to have Happy Meal boxes that were custom-printed for every change in toy campaign. If the toy was a Hot Wheels car the box would have all these little perforated segments to open up tunnels and flip out ramps and poo poo so the box was part of the toy set. Then they dumped that and went to the greasy paper bags in the name of savings. This box is just a return to the previous ones, but a lot shittier.

Toys in cereals!

Pretty sure they stopped this due to safety reasons. I remember having cool little collections

Also, feel free to rant about current day stuff, such as 3 snickers instead of 4 in a £1 pack. But this will probably cause derails up the wazooo. So try and stick to cool and unique bits :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rapman the Cook
Aug 24, 2013

by Ralp
Cant touch the strippers boobs now

TheHomerTax
Dec 26, 2012

That's a high quality avatar right there.

Rapman the Cook posted:

Cant touch the strippers boobs now

Just gotta go to the right one man

Kritzkrieg Kop
Nov 4, 2009
Can't grope the flight attendants butt anymore

The Blue Pyramid
Mar 1, 2009

:poland: :poland: :poland:
Kiepski to nie
kaktus;
Pić musi!

:poland: :poland: :poland:
Kinder Surprise is a chocolate sold throughout the world, an egg shaped plastic capsule with a toy inside, covered in milk chocolate. As a kid these were awesome, even if the toys were kinda crappy. However in the US some moron kid decided to eat the plastic capsule, leading to a lawsuit and the banning of the product in the country. You can still find them sometimes in foreign import groceries but still, if one kid eats plastic, maybe the problem is with him and not the internationally beloved chocolate treat.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Pretty much 90% of stuff stores/companies do to be "green." Oh how forward of you to charge me for plastic bags, is that money going towards some environmental fund or something? No? Oh.

I also remember Walmart having signs in stores about how green they were for using less lights or something.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

The Blue Pyramid posted:

Kinder Surprise is a chocolate sold throughout the world, an egg shaped plastic capsule with a toy inside, covered in milk chocolate. As a kid these were awesome, even if the toys were kinda crappy. However in the US some moron kid decided to eat the plastic capsule, leading to a lawsuit and the banning of the product in the country. You can still find them sometimes in foreign import groceries but still, if one kid eats plastic, maybe the problem is with him and not the internationally beloved chocolate treat.

There wasn't any lawsuit, there's just a law that says you can't embed non-food things in food. It's from the 30s too so it's from the good old days when nobody worried about lead paint or any of that stuff.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
Pensions.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

A fancy little mouse🐁!

AKA Pseudonym posted:

There wasn't any lawsuit, there's just a law that says you can't embed non-food things in food. It's from the 30s too so it's from the good old days when nobody worried about lead paint or any of that stuff.

Please don't deflate my misplaced sense of outrage over cheap chocolate with poo poo toys by posting facts.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

AKA Pseudonym posted:

The FDA can rule that the toy has "functional value" tho. If they weren't a bunch of assholes.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
Beef tallow in McD's fries.

gently caress vegetarians.

Sevalar
Jul 10, 2009

HEY RADICAL LARRY HOW ABOUT A HAIRCUT

****MIC TO THE WILLY***

Shiki Dan posted:

Beef tallow in McD's fries.

gently caress vegetarians.

Currently listening to Steve Austins podcast with DDP and read your post in his voice.

Bang!!

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
X-ray machines in the shoe store. How'm I gonna know if my toes fit in the boots now huh???

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

AKA Pseudonym posted:

There was a lawsuit, but in the UK from a bunch of parents whose kids died by choking on the toys. You're right that in the U.S. it was just some FDA regulation.

Apparently a bunch of people thought thought their toy eggs were really serious and drew up a petition to the White House to end the ban, but couldn't get enough signatures. :laffo:

Humboldt Squid
Jan 21, 2006

Living wages

Vicodiva
Sep 27, 2012

The Blue Pyramid posted:

My local Indo-Polish grocery store sells them anyways.

Abugadu
Jul 12, 2004

1st Sgt. Matthews and the men have Procured for me a cummerbund from a traveling gypsy, who screeched Victory shall come at a Terrible price. i am Honored.
We used to have a Continental Airlines flight to Bali that had a lounge/bar area in the middle of the plane to hang out.

P. much everything about domestic airlines has gotten far worse since the 80's, except the ban on smoking.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one
When the night is calling

TheHomerTax posted:

Just gotta go to the right one man

Why, do the bouncers always stand to their left?

• Locked thread