Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

zmcnulty posted:

Which didn't really matter since Feria sucked anyway.

You shut your drat mouth. Feria was amazing at being what it was. Feria from like 2015 to its close was peak international school kid clubbing at its best. Though admittedly A-life picked up the same niche shortly after (and actually most of the staff was actually former Feria anyway) but with a less bullshit crowded dance floor.

Never once heard of or saw commands to stop dancing at Feria though; when was this? Could have been before my era as I never went as a student. Perhaps my greatest regret considering I spent most of my student life living in Akasaka and I think never once went to a club in Roppongi. Too much bukatsu and not enough living.

V2 definitely still there and actually decent imo, but now that you say it I remember they have you sign a form saying you understand that there's "no dancing allowed" when you go in. Probably serves as enough excuse in case they get raided again, which kinda answers my own question about what clubs "took it seriously" after a fashion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

zmcnulty posted:

Japan finally managed to get rid of the dumb "no dancing" law right around the same time I stopped going to places where it may have made a difference.

i'm sorry you no longer go to k-books

Aredna
Mar 17, 2007
Nap Ghost

LimburgLimbo posted:

Did it ever really make a difference? I don't recall ever going to a place where they were serious about it.

The ones that were strict ended up shutting down out of no business. Color did and it killed them. And Quest cracked down for a while and then gave up when they were losing business.

zmcnulty posted:

But there were raids over the years... Vanity, Feria, GP Bar(? whatever the successor to GasPanic was), and a-life before it closed, are the ones I remember. From what I can tell though the raids were mostly a result of the clubs having too many incidents of crime or noise complaints against them, and the cops just used the "no dancing" law as an excuse to conduct the raids to shut them down for a time.

How can you forget Muse getting raided?! A lot of the smaller places got raided too, such as like Jumanji.

LimburgLimbo posted:

You shut your drat mouth. Feria was amazing at being what it was. Feria from like 2015 to its close was peak international school kid clubbing at its best. Though admittedly A-life picked up the same niche shortly after (and actually most of the staff was actually former Feria anyway) but with a less bullshit crowded dance floor.

Never once heard of or saw commands to stop dancing at Feria though; when was this? Could have been before my era as I never went as a student. Perhaps my greatest regret considering I spent most of my student life living in Akasaka and I think never once went to a club in Roppongi. Too much bukatsu and not enough living.

V2 definitely still there and actually decent imo, but now that you say it I remember they have you sign a form saying you understand that there's "no dancing allowed" when you go in. Probably serves as enough excuse in case they get raided again, which kinda answers my own question about what clubs "took it seriously" after a fashion.

Vanity made you sign the form before they were raided as well, so probably unrelated to that.

Feria they definitely stopped you both before and after they got raided if security was within like 10 feet of you. On the bottom floor they didn't want to hassle with pushing through half the crowd it seemed.

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
GasPanic is still open

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

Is Gas Panic named after the subway sarin attack? Or is that just an unhappy coincidence?

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008

simplefish posted:

Is Gas Panic named after the subway sarin attack? Or is that just an unhappy coincidence?

More likely the WWI thing, and/or the Oasis song.

btw the tripadvisor reviews of Gas Panic are gold:

As a gaijin, I know I'll be paying more than I should be in this club, but I never realized how bad it truly was until my trip last year. Getting into the venue was easy enough, but once inside, it was dark, hot and confusing. I ordered a beer since I couldn't really say many other words that well, and the prices are astonishing. It's cool to be hit on for the first 5 minutes or so, but after that I had hoped the ladies - and some men - would just leave me and my friends alone.

I'll always be a gaijin in Japan, but I will not be a gaijin in this establishment ever again.

~~~

Drinks are relatively cheap (for Tokyo), and is filled with nice looking women. Got fairly merry and started chatting up a pair of Japanese girls, one of whom was married.

My girlfriend was seriously unimpressed and stormed off along with the other people we were with.

Having only been there two weeks & suddenly all alone I started to get the fear, since..

1) Had no idea where I actually was
2) Didn't know the address of the flat
3) Therefore had no idea how to get home* (didn't have a mobile)

Wandered around a bit and eventually found them in the Irish bar across the road.

I was was very relieved, GF was still incandescent with rage...

Retrospectively, a pretty funny night out...Cheers Gas Panic!

PS GF is now longtime ex GF

~~~

guri
Jun 14, 2001
A couple weeks back I visited Tokyo for the first time in seven or so years. I did pretty much the same things as when I was living there or visiting regularly and not much has changed in the places I usually go to except for Golden Gai being absolutely full of foreigners and bars advertising things like "we speak English -- come and talk with us!" A friend who has had a bar there for around fifteen years or so was not very pleased with how noisy it has become.

Here are some boring pictures.

In the past Kichijoji and Inokashira Park would be a typical low-key weekly visit for me so I was excited to go back but scheduling-wise it made the most sense to go on a Sunday while sakura was blooming..

oof

My old favorite cafe in my old neighborhood is still around and they have let the vines grow freely. The place is completely covered; windows inside are left open and the vines are now continuing inside. It is already a very rickety old building and I remember being in there during an earthquake long ago.

Good bird on its leash at night in Daikanyama/Ebisu

Visited the most packed record store I have seen.

That the owner was able to dig things out that I had asked about was one thing but I was also proud to have been able to spot a friend's CD stuck to a far wall.

Then Jindaiji for soba all day which has always been a recommendation of mine for people visiting Tokyo.

Sakura in Chofu during the walk from the station up to Jindaiji. This by far beat all of the typical sakura viewing spots we had been through.

And for the last night the great Shanghai Xiaochi.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

guri posted:

A couple weeks back I visited Tokyo for the first time in seven or so years. I did pretty much the same things as when I was living there or visiting regularly and not much has changed in the places I usually go to except for Golden Gai being absolutely full of foreigners and bars advertising things like "we speak English -- come and talk with us!" A friend who has had a bar there for around fifteen years or so was not very pleased with how noisy it has become.

Here are some boring pictures.

Thanks, really nice places. Would love to visit that vine bar next time I go.

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.
I miss cherry blossom season. :(

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

I missed cherry blossom season :(

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

guri posted:

soba all day which has always been a recommendation of mine for people visiting Tokyo.

What does this mean? I get tired of it after like 1 plate.

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

peanut posted:

I missed cherry blossom season :(

i went to tokyo once and they bloomed early. i asked some cop near that big park (yoyogi?) and he bowed and was like "so sorry - global warming"

very japanese to apologize for the weather :3:

guri
Jun 14, 2001

zmcnulty posted:

What does this mean? I get tired of it after like 1 plate.
I love soba and Jindaiji is a beautiful temple surrounded by delicious soba shops that usually make their noodles in-house. For me it is great to spend an afternoon wandering around the temple, surrounding area, and botanical gardens while taking stops to eat a couple different places.

Kharnifex
Sep 11, 2001

The Banter is better in AusGBS
Some towns will also have soba making classes, it's fun, I recommend you try it

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

What does Shanghai Xiaochi serve? Authentic Chinese cuisine? Or a Japanese spin on it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

guri
Jun 14, 2001
I've never been to China so I can't comment on the authenticity but it definitely isn't the typical Japanese spin on it. They have a huge Shanghai cuisine-focused menu that goes from basics like fried rice and stewed(?) clams to curried bull penis, frog, pork brain, and deep fried bugs. I recommend going at least once for the experience alone in regard to the overall atmosphere.

• Locked thread