Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I'm not sure if there was already a thread for this show. I couldn't find one if there was.

The Affair is a fantastic drama that I only checked out because of Dominic West but was blown away by how engaging the story was. Each episode is told from the (unreliable) perspective of both participants in the titular affair: Noah Solloway, a highschool English teacher/ recently newly published author, married to the sole heir of a very successful and wealthy author (played by fellow Wire alumni John Doman), and Alison Bailey, a emotionally unstable waitress.

Since this is a spoiler thread I guess I'll make anything below this post a full season discussion, but if you're on the fence about watching this show I'd heavily recommend it, even if you aren't typically a fan of dramas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

No Post Zone :shrug:

I guess I'll just say that I loved the differing perspectives on the events, especially how they proceeded to get further and further out of wack as the season went on. The way that they differed so much in the last episode makes me think that Season 2 could even have two seperate storylines, going back to Noah's conversation about parallel universes in Ep 2

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's really well written and acted, but christ it's slow.

I'm struggling past episode 7. Some of the actors are knocking it so far out of the park, considering it's all sex, staring and talking.

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
I watched because of the Golden Globes. I enjoyed the hell out of it and fell in love with Maura Tierney

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Dirk Pitt posted:

I watched because of the Golden Globes. I enjoyed the hell out of it and fell in love with Maura Tierney

Same, I'm on Team Helen and have a Celeb Crush on her. She's going to be 50 in a few days :psyduck:

Borrowed Ladder
May 4, 2007

monarch of the sleeping marches
I thought it was strange there was no thread for this show, since it was so good and it did so well at the globes.

I loved the differing perspectives throughout the season, especially the small stuff like the wardrobe differences. Noah's version was definitely skewed to be more story like, I'm assuming because he's the writer. I wish the show was more about the nature of memory and less about the actual affair though.

PaybackJack
May 21, 2003

You'll hit your head and say: 'Boy, how stupid could I have been. A moron could've figured this out. I must be a real dimwit. A pathetic nimnal. A wretched idiotic excuse for a human being for not having figured these simple puzzles out in the first place...As usual, you've been a real pantload!
Disappointed we didn't get to see the resolution of the murder storyline as that was the big thing they were leading up to. I guess maybe they figured they'd get a second season and will resolve it there. The Affair itself was pretty conclusive though and that was good. I wonder if the next season will be called the Murder or something and focus on that, or if there will be another Affair that the show forms the narrative around. I thought it was odd that their versions of events were so drastically different there at the end but then I guess by that point they weren't necessarily telling their story to the detective anymore and they were more of a possible version of events that led to the present.

Pretty good acting. I didn't find the show slow at all, I thought it was paced pretty well and accelerated quite quickly.

Professor Shark posted:

Same, I'm on Team Helen and have a Celeb Crush on her. She's going to be 50 in a few days :psyduck:

She looks almost the same as she did on Newsradio almost 20 years ago. Which is to say she's still looking great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
I wonder what season 2 will hold. I kind of hope for a cast switch with my new love, Maura Tierny, playing the female lead. I just can't see Pacey carrying Dominc West.

• Locked thread