Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Smythe posted:

one time i watched a movie on tnt and it had a 12 minute ad break

the ad breaks get longer as the tnt movie progresses and the one before the movie climax is the longest

pagancow posted:

Or Always Maxi Pads shaming men to a national audience via the Twitter hashtag #LikeAGirl. If Always truly wanted to make a brave ad they would have used the hashtag #LikeAMan and portrayed a nervous guy buying maxi pads. That takes real courage.

But, deservedly so, it was Nationwides dead Sixth Sense kid ad that stole the spotlight, and sucked any joy Super Bowl viewers were trying to salvage from watching two hated teams in the first place. After viewing the ad again post game, I had to hunt down Sarah Maclachlans ASPCA abused dog ad just to cheer me up so I could sleep.

It was that bad.

bring me this person irl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

graph posted:

the ad breaks get longer as the tnt movie progresses and the one before the movie climax is the longest

yes, and, i dont meant to be too snarky, but, also, water is wet.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
pagancow are
informercials the ultimate form of media

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

echinopsis posted:

pagancow are
informercials the ultimate form of media

no they are commercials that outstay their welcome

With YouTube, no piece of media should ever run a second longer than is needed but people don't understand editing, or how valuable their audiences' time is.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Hollywood films have respected the time of the viewer completely and thus are a superior medium, even if their budgets and talent weren't the best on the planet.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

YouTube is an editors/producers paradise because now you have objective evidence of what worked in your edit and what didn't.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

you can take that poo poo and shove it right into the money mans face and be like "OUR LOGO NEEDS TO STOP AT 2.85 seconds OR ELSE WE TAKE A 3 POINT DROP EVERY 2 SECONDS" and then they have to listen because viewers are the most important thing

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Spime Wrangler posted:

some douchebags saved a bunch of money and cut emissions by switching to delicious fracked american natural gas

learn more at think about it dot org

natural gas + fracking ftw

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

I seem to remember a fracking thing that ran before a PBS show this year and it was pulled pretty quickly.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

pagancow posted:

no they are commercials that outstay their welcome

With YouTube, no piece of media should ever run a second longer than is needed but people don't understand editing, or how valuable their audiences' time is.

if they're spending time watching ads their time was worthless to begin with

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

yeah but you could make 4 second ads if you wanted to. people get all caught up on the fact that you pay for up to 15 seconds so BETTER USE IT ALL!

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
YOU PAID FOR THE WHOLE SPOT BUT YOU'LL ONLY NEED THE EDGE!

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

loved seeing these as a kid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFPF-JYzqFA

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
your hosed up childhood has lead to an even more hosed up adulthood

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

nationwide is in the news again this week for firing a woman because she asked to be able to pump breast milk at work. go look at their facebook for a laugh

btw the court ruled against her in the lawsuit because "men can lactate too," and the supreme court denied her appeal

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

did this die out in the 90s or did it just move way south so i don't see it up here any more.

i remember these shows advertised at skydome all the time as a kid

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

tim and eric make these now

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

did tim and eric make this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kvjDtaCkacQ

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

As a Millennial I posted:

nationwide is in the news again this week for firing a woman because she asked to be able to pump breast milk at work. go look at their facebook for a laugh

btw the court ruled against her in the lawsuit because "men can lactate too," and the supreme court denied her appeal

better yet they didn't say "you're fired" they said "go be with your kids", which she did and was then fired for leaving work

she was so overworked that she was lactating uncontrollably and couldn't use the lactation room because they were "processing her paperwork"

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

pram psted that he thot u did, i think he bet 999 chomecoins

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Gawker built a bot to tweet hiter related stuff to a bot that took your text and turned it into images:

http://www.adweek.com/news/advertising-branding/coca-cola-suspends-makeithappy-social-campaign-162775

Coke had to pull the campaign.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

The soda brand's campaign, introduced during Sunday's Super Bowl, encouraged Twitter users to mark negative tweets with the #MakeItHappy hashtag. Then, the brand turned those words into cute art images using ASCII lettering code.

But Gawker soon noticed a tweet from Coke's Twitter account that had turned the "Fourteen Words" slogan of white nationalism into an ASCII dog.

"Even when the text is shaped like a dog, it is disconcerting to see Coca-Cola, the soda company, urge its social media followers to safeguard the existence and reproduction of white racists," wrote Gawker editor Max Read.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

lol by that logic gawker should buy a gun, shoot someone, and then blame the gun maker for it

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

theflyingexecutive posted:

better yet they didn't say "you're fired" they said "go be with your kids", which she did and was then fired for leaving work

she was so overworked that she was lactating uncontrollably and couldn't use the lactation room because they were "processing her paperwork"

there's like half a dozen nationwide employees "defending" their company on the facebook page by linking people to the full story, as though it somehow paints nationwide in a better light.

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

pagancow posted:

The soda brand's campaign, introduced during Sunday's Super Bowl, encouraged Twitter users to mark negative tweets with the #MakeItHappy hashtag. Then, the brand turned those words into cute art images using ASCII lettering code.

But Gawker soon noticed a tweet from Coke's Twitter account that had turned the "Fourteen Words" slogan of white nationalism into an ASCII dog.

"Even when the text is shaped like a dog, it is disconcerting to see Coca-Cola, the soda company, urge its social media followers to safeguard the existence and reproduction of white racists," wrote Gawker editor Max Read.

lollll

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

this coke ad campaign made me see a Fist Pumping Baby Meme on my television so i'm glad that it's been destroyed.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

pagancow posted:

Gawker built a bot to tweet hiter related stuff to a bot that took your text and turned it into images:

http://www.adweek.com/news/advertising-branding/coca-cola-suspends-makeithappy-social-campaign-162775

Coke had to pull the campaign.

this is brilliant

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

pagancow posted:

lol by that logic gawker should buy a gun, shoot someone, and then blame the gun maker for it

guns don't kill people, people do

..with guns

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

pagancow posted:

a more accurate analogy: somebody sets up a turret that automatically fires at whatever targets people tweet at it

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

As a Millennial I posted:

a more accurate analogy: somebody sets up a turret that automatically fires at whatever targets people tweet at it

Excuse me, it's "turrent"

GameCube
Nov 21, 2006

Smythe posted:

Excuse me, it's "chome"

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

is "chome" some dumb irc joke

Illusive Fuck Man
Jul 5, 2004
RIP John McCain feel better xoxo 💋 🙏
Taco Defender
I think somebody said "chome" and now it's a thing.

chome

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

it sure is stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valeyard
Mar 30, 2012

Grimey Drawer
http://tindeck.com/listen/ymni

• Locked thread