Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
Chip's Challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
bejeweled

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

LaTex Fetish posted:

are there puzzle games out there that let you have a character and feature some sort of minor combat/other mechanic like zelda does but with more puzzles than zelda?

fez

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
braid

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

for the frog the bell tolls for gameboy is pretty drat close to what you're looking for. it's got dungeons, puzzles, was made in the same engine as link's awakening, and the combat consists of walking into enemies and if you have more health, you kill them.

liquid courage fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jan 28, 2015

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax
croc 2

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

liquid courage posted:

for the frog the bell tolls for gameboy is pretty drat close to what you're looking for. it's got dungeons, puzzles, was made in the same engine as link's awakening, and the combat consists of walking into enemies and if you have more health, you kill them.

the guy from this appears in link's awakening and has his theme music playing. i've always meant to play it

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

ittle dew looks cute i will try it out. also looks a lot like zelda too

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

also goof troop is disney's goofy in a video game. is this a good game or are you trollin me?

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

liquid courage posted:

link's awakening is one of my favorite games ever. i looked this up: is there a translation into english? i don't speak japanese all that well but it does seem sugoi and kawaii

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

LaTex Fetish posted:

link's awakening is one of my favorite games ever. i looked this up: is there a translation into english? i don't speak japanese all that well but it does seem sugoi and kawaii

It was translated a few years ago. Pretty fun game.

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?

LaTex Fetish posted:

also goof troop is disney's goofy in a video game. is this a good game or are you trollin me?

old licensed games were good, sorry you dont know gaming history

it is exactly what you want

LaTex Fetish
Oct 11, 2010

Doctor Goat posted:

appreciate your gaming knowledge doc. i will get it sometime.

Azraelle
Jan 13, 2008

I haven't played it personally, but isn't Alundra for PS1 roughly what you're looking for?

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Doctor Goat posted:

Like ten loving years of looking on and off and barely being able to remember anything and digging through more shareware than is healthy and between that post and you, it gets figured out in like 3 hours.

yesssssssssss

it was made by the dev of everquest and it never got a full release until some guy found it on a floppy or something and was given the OK to post it online

looking at it brings back hella memories

you have made my day
No problem, I enjoy figuring stuff out like that

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

Ittle Dew is Zelda but just Puzzles and jokes OP. The jokes are often dumb but sometimes funny.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

Doctor Goat posted:

disney was real good about managing their games back in the day

Doctor Goat
Jan 22, 2005

Where does it hurt?
aladdin (i'm a heathen who likes the snes one more)
mickey: magic quest
lion king
duck tales
rescue ranger
goof troop

look at this ownage

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Azraelle posted:

I haven't played it personally, but isn't Alundra for PS1 roughly what you're looking for?

alundra is like 90% combat tho

YIFFY HIGHSCHOOL
Jan 21, 2015

Guy Freeman posted:

This is a well informed choice.

i can endorse this. it 0wns with two players

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

No Such Thing posted:

alundra is like 90% combat tho

The puzzles are brutal, though. Plus the game loving owns.

Plebian Parasite
Oct 12, 2012

Kazvall posted:

The puzzles are brutal, though. Plus the game loving owns.

You and also everyone else should play some Brain Lord.

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

LaTex Fetish posted:

i'll pm it to you.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
agreeing with the Anodyne recommendations

it even has the Link's Awakening 'go out of bounds to find cool poo poo' thing

Gamma Nerd
May 14, 2012

LaTex Fetish posted:

dude, kingdom hearts is really good though

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Azraelle posted:

Yeah but the combat can be a bit much until you either die 20 times and get the op as poo poo weapon or you 100% the game (which is loving bullshit because this game's version of gold skulltullas can be skipped forever) and get the even more op weapon.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Anodyne

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!
Corrypt :getin:

AHungryRobot
Oct 12, 2012
anodyne is basically the platonic ideal of what you're talking about.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Anodyne also has one of the best soundtracks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

liquid courage
Aug 12, 2011

anodyne was awesome except for those one or two puzzles where you needed perfect timing on jumps.

• Locked thread