Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

qnqnx posted:

didnt knew virt made the music *puts shovel knight higher in the wishlist*
The woman who composed the music for Mega Man 1 did a couple of tracks for the game too

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Psycobladder posted:

I liked the Shield Knight dream sequences, it made it so much more satisfying at the end when you do catch her. Best game ending of 2014, it was very heartfelt.

agreed

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Pablo Gigante posted:

The woman who composed the music for Mega Man 1 did a couple of tracks for the game too

Yea, plague knight's level and treasure knight's level

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

shovel knight is insanely win

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
I thought shield knight was a dude the whole time and then while editing the video I saw the 'save her' thing and realized it wasn't a homosexual love story.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

zfleeman posted:

I thought shield knight was a dude the whole time and then while editing the video I saw the 'save her' thing and realized it wasn't a homosexual love story.

missed opportunity imo

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
From perfection to transcendence

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

zfleeman posted:

I think I'm just burned out on indie platformers. I went in expecting some referential 'lol' garbage and came out with a really good experience. That game actually takes itself really seriously.

I'm curious to know what other indie platformers you've played.

Astarath
Jun 23, 2008

Could I see a Hat Wobble?
i bought shovel knight on steam because of this thread and i was not disappointed

Proud Rat Mom
Apr 2, 2012

did absolutely fuck all

TV Zombie posted:

I'm curious to know what other indie platformers you've played.

he's played braid lol

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I played a lot before I noticed the trend I mentioned in the video. I don't really have a huge sample size. N and N+ were personal favorites. Braid was cool. Bionic Commando Rearmed was dope. So... yeah, actually. I don't think I've bought and played many new ones b/c they looked dumb.

not my best argument, ha, but I hope I'm not completely out of turn to assume indies can shoot themselves in the foot with nostalgia overload.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
This game is so much win I can't even

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
is it controller only, or are the keyboard controls ok?

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

sector_corrector posted:

I like using a gamepad more but the speedrunners use the keyboard so it's up to personal choice.

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
this game is good

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

Kazvall posted:

I for one welcome the introverted, depressed dude with open arms and I enjoyed his review of megaman 9 posted above.

This was really funny. Forgot to tell you.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

[deleted because the awful app double posts sometimes]

zfleeman fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Feb 1, 2015

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

sector_corrector posted:

I played through most of the game with a keyboard and did fine.

Fargield
Sep 27, 2008

zfleeman posted:

[deleted because the awful app double posts sometimes]

Thank you.

woofbro
Nov 25, 2013

Lol I usually shrug off all critically acclaimed things as dumb.

thuly
Jun 19, 2005

Transcending history, and the world, a tale of MS Paint and animes, endlessly retold.
There's a lot of bad things that lots of people like, even critics

Simiain
Dec 13, 2005

"BAM! The ole fork in the eye!!"

Astarath posted:

i bought shovel knight on steam because of this thread and i was not disappointed

Did the same, was similarly undisappointed.

Schnedwob
Feb 28, 2014

my legs are okay

thuly posted:

There's a lot of bad things that lots of people like, even critics

Boyhood

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Average Bear posted:

If you told someone "Wacky Indie platformer in NES style pixel art" it would be tough to give it a chance. But shovel knight is insanely win'

yeah its not an inherently bad style or anything it's just the one that happens to be the most flooded with awful bullshit atm

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

old rear end nes games are still a lot of fun but a lot of developers trying to replicate them don't actually know, like, why they were fun or the design process that went into making them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
i like the art, because it sticks to limited palettes for each stage. it reminds me of the art in the nes batman games.

also, baz is a pretty hard boss fight.

• Locked thread