Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Ausmund posted:

No Kremlings
Diddy isn't a separate character, more like an accessory to Donkey, and becomes a floaty character which is supposed to be Dixie
The new enemies suck
Rambi is the only animal you can ride
No NPCs, just Cranky
I don't like how the kongs had voices instead of stock monkey noises
None of Rare's humor or charm

I guess if you really miss pirate crocodiles or whatever, but the new enemies are all pretty great. It was a bunch of Tiki nonsense in Returns, but I actually rather liked the aesthetic. Tropical Freeze has snow pirate guys so it's kind of like DKC2 I GUESS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
The soonest you can do early Space Jump in 1 is after getting Bombs, right? What's a better/easier path up there? Off the small rock near Samus' ship, or just off the back of the ship itself? The rock seems easier but it's sloped, so if you land and roll from the first bomb jump, you're screwed. The ship's flat and wide, but the jump seems farther.

E: Actually, doing the Wiimote flick instead of the first bomb seems way easier. Not sure if that fucks with the physicals of the bomb you do jump off of, though.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Ausmund posted:

No Kremlings
Diddy isn't a separate character, more like an accessory to Donkey, and becomes a floaty character which is supposed to be Dixie
The new enemies suck
Rambi is the only animal you can ride
No NPCs, just Cranky
I don't like how the kongs had voices instead of stock monkey noises
None of Rare's humor or charm

It's still a solid platformer, and I guess that's all that really matters. But the 10 year old Donkey Kong Country fan within me hated it. I've only played the 3DS version. I keep hearing Tropical Freeze is really good, and I plan on getting a Wii U in the not too distant future, so I'll definetly buy it and Metroid Prime Trilogy.

the old DKC games are complete garbage and Retro actually made those games good. Miyamoto agrees too.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
But it has cool music and unique sound effects that evoke nostalgic reactions

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

The music was good, true. Shame about everything else. I mean, I was a dumb kid who thought the graphics were mind blowing but not dumb enough to actually think they were fun. Yoshi Island was where it was at and the DKC games went straight to the garbage bin.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Kinda unfair to talk about SNES graphics and then use Yoshi Island as a comparison point. Every SNES platformer looks worse than Yoshi Island.

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Yoshi Island fukken owned

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Ausmund posted:

Prime 1 was a pretty cool game... back in 2002. Prime 3 was fun because of the motion controls, but the last 1/4 of the game was backtracking through the entire game to find collectables to unlock the final boss. Also the parts where it tries to be a pseudo Halo game were baaaaaaaaaaaad. Metroid shouldn't have NPC charactes. Period. Prime 2 was so loving boring I couldn't play more than 2 hours of it. I watched slowbeef's let's play of it and it looks like all I missed was a lovely brown and purple slog of a loving game. Glad I skipped it. Although the tron/cyberpunk area was really neat but its way too far into the game.

I respect the games, even though they aren't really my favorites. Especially after Other M ruined the series reputation. gently caress.

You're loving retarded lmao

yeah see I don't play video games per-se, I just watch other people do it it's the same thing

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Kinda unfair to talk about SNES graphics and then use Yoshi Island as a comparison point. Every SNES platformer looks worse than Yoshi Island.
The DKC series doesn't even hold up as well visually as some launch window games like Super Mario World. Super Metroid came out the same year as the first DKC game and looks all the better for not having bulbous pre-rendered shoulder pads on Samus.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
That's just "Rare's humor and charm" :laffo: I still can't believe Grabbed by the Ghoulies and Perfect Dark Zero are real games that were released.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!
To be fair, Perfect Dark Zero was a perfectly reasonable thing to make.

The unbelievable part is how bad it was.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Prime 1 remains one of my favorite games ever.

That said, wow, I don't remember the Omega Pirate being this hard. He wrecked me pretty good just now.

I think it's the pointer aiming. In Prime 1 on the 'cube, when you locked on to something, you shot directly at it every time.

With the pointer control, the reticule can move around. You can miss even when locked on, and I miss a lot on enemies that move quickly. I notice it the most on Burrowers (the guys that jump out of the ground and spit stuff) and a couple of bosses. The Omega is the first time I have really felt hindered by it, though.

I find myself using the wave beam a LOT just because it homes in on things.

Still, game owns. I can't wait to beat this OP motherfucker and get the Phazon suit. It's the best looking suit in all of Metroid, except maybe the Light Suit from MP2.

Adhesion
Sep 10, 2001

Next you gonna mention lifting up a nacho and seein' a big old terrified eye starin' at you

ConfusedUs posted:

Prime 1 remains one of my favorite games ever.

That said, wow, I don't remember the Omega Pirate being this hard. He wrecked me pretty good just now.

I think it's the pointer aiming. In Prime 1 on the 'cube, when you locked on to something, you shot directly at it every time.

With the pointer control, the reticule can move around. You can miss even when locked on, and I miss a lot on enemies that move quickly. I notice it the most on Burrowers (the guys that jump out of the ground and spit stuff) and a couple of bosses. The Omega is the first time I have really felt hindered by it, though.

I find myself using the wave beam a LOT just because it homes in on things.

Still, game owns. I can't wait to beat this OP motherfucker and get the Phazon suit. It's the best looking suit in all of Metroid, except maybe the Light Suit from MP2.

I forget what it's called but there's something in the options that will make the shooting reticle fully locked onto the target when using the Z lockon.

And yeah Omega Pirate is the worst. It took me way too long to realize that he's only weak to super missiles, even when invisible :downs: Beams do a meager amount of damage which made me think at first that it was just an incredibly tedious and long fight, which is not the right message to send game design-wise. Probably the only flaw in an otherwise amazing game.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
I love comments like that because I thought the Omega Pirate had way too little health

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

A power Bomb placed at his feet will wipe out all of his armor at once as well.

Evil Eagle
Nov 5, 2009

Adhesion posted:

And yeah Omega Pirate is the worst. It took me way too long to realize that he's only weak to super missiles, even when invisible :downs: Beams do a meager amount of damage which made me think at first that it was just an incredibly tedious and long fight, which is not the right message to send game design-wise. Probably the only flaw in an otherwise amazing game.

Charged Plasma beam takes off like a quarter of his health on Veteran though.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

YIKES Stay Gooned posted:

A power Bomb placed at his feet will wipe out all of his armor at once as well.

I totally forgot about that.

I'm gonna kick his rear end later

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Sorry to double post, but does anyone know if the bosses in Echoes have been rebalanced? I last played the game on the cube, and some of the bosses were really frustrating.

In particular, the boost ball boss made me give up on the game several times. I didn't beat Echoes until near the release of Corruption because I could not beat that guy.

I noticed in prime one in the wiiu trilogy that Thardus was weakened a lot. His roll was much weaker than in the original release. It used to wreck fools.

The boost boss in Echoes is the only boss in the serious that I feel needs that same treatment. Did he get it?

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

The veteran difficulty modes for Prime 1 and 2 are those games' original difficulty levels. You may have just picked normal difficulty, which is basically an easier mode.

It only affects damage levels though, the attacks aren't any different.

Thardus' roll is easier simply because you can dodge it without looking away from it. On the GameCube, since moving away involved turning first so you couldn't look at it, you tended to get hit easier. At least that's how it felt when I fought him.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

They also did nerf the boost ball guardian, even on Veteran (aka normal) difficulty so his boosts do less damage because they're basically unavoidable

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

They also did nerf the boost ball guardian, even on Veteran (aka normal) difficulty so his boosts do less damage because they're basically unavoidable

That's great news.

Also I had no idea that normal was Easy mode in this version.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

ConfusedUs posted:

That's great news.

I learned that after doing the intro section of Prime and just started over, causing me to totally forget about scanning the basic parasites again and ultimately ending the game with 99% scans :shepface:

Thankfully scans carry over into new game +

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

I'm playing on Normal and it's keeping me awake at night.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Im playing this game right now for the first time and its real good but the combat is pointless; it's easier to just run past them and the enemies always respawn in the same places its kinda silly how reverred this game is but its got cool puzzles.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Abu Dave posted:

Im playing this game right now for the first time and its real good but the combat is pointless; it's easier to just run past them and the enemies always respawn in the same places its kinda silly how reverred this game is but its got cool puzzles.

It gets a little better in MP3 but it's still pretty basic.

I was excited for Other M because it seemed like it'd be the first 3D Metroid with meaningful combat but not only is it baby combat for idiots but a lot of it is unskippable so you can't just run past the enemies, you have to perform your sick takedown moves each and every time. I'm starting to think it may not have been a very good game.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Abu Dave posted:

Im playing this game right now for the first time and its real good but the combat is pointless; it's easier to just run past them and the enemies always respawn in the same places

thats what i mostly do, but theres definitely some spots that are harder to pass when you don't kill them (sheegoths ugh)

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
How long is the first game anyways and should I play prime 2 afterwards or go straight to prime 3 i don't care about the story infact i question why this robot is even on this planet at times

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Abu Dave posted:

Thats how it should be, considering super Metroid was the same way. most of the enemies in Metroid games are just animals chilling in their natural environment who don't attack you, they just get in your way

The Duck of Death
Nov 19, 2009

ConfusedUs posted:

That sucks. I just got the wave beam and now I want to start over.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Thats how it should be, considering super Metroid was the same way. most of the enemies in Metroid games are just animals chilling in their natural environment who don't attack you, they just get in your way

That makes alot of sense. Too bad this is a video game and not national geographic.

Also the theme to Chozon Ruins is the Giant Bombcast theme and it repeats non stop its crazy https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBq_SueS8oo&t=3163s

I love this game though I can't stop playing it!!

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

The best thing about Metroid Prime is scanning creatures in their natural habitats, before murdering them senselessly.

I just got the Super Missiles last night, so I think I'm just about caught up to where I was in my first playthrough whenever Trilogy was released.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Holy poo poo the reactor core is horrid level design.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Abu Dave posted:

Holy poo poo the reactor core is horrid level design.

You did get the Gravity Suit right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
No not yet :(. I fell to the bottom and rage quit.

• Locked thread