Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you

Xerzes posted:

Between cashing in the briefcase and showing up in random costumes was a long stretch of Sandow almost never being on TV.

Has any other federation done the "guy impersonates random guys on the roster" gimmick?

WWE has done it a lot but I can't think of anyone else. I think Stevie Richards and Blue Meanie did some impressions in ECW? Besides the BWO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Needs More Ditka
Dec 3, 2005

We are ruthless and ask no quarter from you. When our turn comes we shall not disguise our terrorism.

triplexpac posted:

Has any other federation done the "guy impersonates random guys on the roster" gimmick?

WWE has done it a lot but I can't think of anyone else. I think Stevie Richards and Blue Meanie did some impressions in ECW? Besides the BWO.

Jay Lethal spent like a year being a black Randy Savage in TNA.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

Needs More Ditka posted:

Jay Lethal spent like a year being a black Randy Savage in TNA.

Yeah there were definitely impressions going on... but I'm thinking more the "guy comes out as a different character in multiple weeks"

WWE did it with Big Show, Charlie Haas, Sandow... that's just off the top of my head

Balls to the Mall
Feb 11, 2011

Kinda disappointing for it to be yet another trump av.

:wom:
Miz & Mizdow vs. HBK & God - Tornado Tag
Dream Wrestlemania Match

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

triplexpac posted:

Sandow is going to be dead in the water as soon as this gimmick is over.

more or less. they're not gonna have any idea what to do with him when it's done.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Cardboard Box posted:

more or less. they're not gonna have any idea what to do with him when it's done.

They don't really have an idea of what to do with him now...

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

elf help book posted:

They don't really have an idea of what to do with him now...

Yeah that's kind of the point. Right now he's in a go-nowhere team with Miz, but he managed to eke an entertaining character out of it.

When they split, and Sandow has to be the fiery babyface... that won't go so well.

He's been funny so far but it's mostly been because of his impersonations (Sherlock, Magneto, Miz obviously). They'll need to come up with a non-impression comedy hook for him post Mizdow, and I am not sure they can pull it off because WWE is terrible at it.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

triplexpac posted:

Yeah that's kind of the point. Right now he's in a go-nowhere team with Miz, but he managed to eke an entertaining character out of it.

When they split, and Sandow has to be the fiery babyface... that won't go so well.

He's been funny so far but it's mostly been because of his impersonations (Sherlock, Magneto, Miz obviously). They'll need to come up with a non-impression comedy hook for him post Mizdow, and I am not sure they can pull it off because WWE is terrible at it.

It's not impossible to transition from a purely comedic character to a more serious character, especially because the transition from his pure cosplay gimmick to the fans BEGGING to see him tagged in every match has gone so well. People like seeing him do his schtick, but they also WANT to see him wrestle for reals and win matches.

I hate to say it, but if anyone can fit the Cena mold it's Sandow: be funny, laid back, maybe even a little goofy, but lay down the hammer when stuff gets serious.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you
The problem is Sandow isn't a very good worker, at least not at the level we expect from the top level guys.

electric funeral
Oct 16, 2004

ACCIO PANTIES
*swoosh flick*

triplexpac posted:

The problem is Sandow isn't a very good worker, at least not at the level we expect from the top level guys.

I liked his cash-in match against Cena.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

triplexpac posted:

Yeah there were definitely impressions going on... but I'm thinking more the "guy comes out as a different character in multiple weeks"

WWE did it with Big Show, Charlie Haas, Sandow... that's just off the top of my head

Chyna did it too for a while.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

electric funeral posted:

I liked his cash-in match against Cena.

that was great and so were the handful of throwaway matches he had with sheamus

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

triplexpac posted:

Don't worry, Roman Reigns will balance the playing field until Daman Reignsdow's music hits.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

triplexpac posted:

If there's one thing that WWE management has proven it's that your overall skill as a worker is not an important factor in deciding if you're worthy of being a top level guy.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

triplexpac posted:

What? He's good he just never gets to actually wrestle

Sushipants
Sep 8, 2010
Miz headlined Wrestlemania. Sandow's a better worker than Miz (he can catch people too). Sandow can do it.

(So could Cesaro, Ziggler, Harper, and a bunch of other guys).

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Sushipants posted:

Miz headlined Wrestlemania. Sandow's a better worker than Miz (he can catch people too). Sandow can do it.

(So could Cesaro, Ziggler, Harper, and a bunch of other guys).

miz should not be the bar for who is allowed to headline wrestlemania

Sex Robot
Jan 11, 2011

Nothing amazing happens here.
Everything is ordinary.

He exists to fill the slot that was filled by Santino Marrella before him and he seems to be enjoying himself. It's not glory, but it's heartwarming and can take the edge off of bad nights. Some of my favourite moments are when in ring antics just get plain goofy (see Mr Socko vs The Cobra) and you can stop being a smark for a moment and just laugh at how ridiculous the whole industry is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

I am entertained by Sandow. I am happy that he is on TV. I am happier that he looks like he is having fun. I am happiest that, (as has been said above), he is working light and keeping his health.

He is over, but once WWE decides to seriously push him, they will strip him of all teh things that make him over, and then wonder why nobody cares. (Cesaro style)

So YAY for him as he is, entertaining the crowds and having fun.

• Locked thread