Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Al Borland

by XyloJW

Cosmic Charlie posted:

Well the walkman started as a cassette player , then came the diskman for cd's, then back to the walkman for mp3s. I have enjoyed all of these

I used to have a boombox that would convert cassette to CD and the other way around Its prolly still at my parent's place.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.H

August is the Cruelest Month

Classicist posted:

I own restored samples of a Pioneer CT-93, three CT-F1250's, A Nakamichi Dragon, BX-300 and a DR-1 and I can speak from experience to say that a well recorded tape on a well aligned machine will stand toe to toe with ANY mp3 and MOST Linear PCM or Single Bit Recording technologies. What it MIGHT lose in low end transients (Digital's strong point) and silence (its other strong point) it makes back up in musicality and massed string tone. (Just like its big brother the Open Reel. That being said, that quality doesn't come cheap then or now.)

unfortunately i don't understand most of what you wrote here, i was just a casual cassete- tape user, but i do have fond memories of spending literally minutes trying to wind up tapes to the exact beginning of songs.
oh, man, i wonder if any of my tapes survived.

posting smiling

H.H posted:

unfortunately i don't understand most of what you wrote here, i was just a casual cassete- tape user, but i do have fond memories of spending literally minutes trying to wind up tapes to the exact beginning of songs.

i love cassets. "cassetes the best" i wrote on my binder of cassette tape albums.

Cosmic Charlie

How do you do? Truckin' in style along the avenue

H.H posted:

I only have one surviving tape. Please Hammer Dont Hurt 'Em

H.H

Al Borland posted:

I used to have a boombox that would convert cassette to CD and the other way around Its prolly still at my parent's place.

you had a non-pc machine that burned CDs? my seventeen year-old self would've been so jealous

Cosmic Charlie

Cosmic Charlie posted:

I only have one surviving tape. Please Hammer Dont Hurt 'Em

Behold

and thats just program one

H.H

Cosmic Charlie posted:

Behold

wow

Al Borland

by XyloJW
Haha remember when video cameras were goliath like machines?

----------------

Piso Mojado

Cosmic Charlie posted:

Well the walkman started as a cassette player , then came the diskman for cd's, then back to the walkman for mp3s. I have enjoyed all of these

waht's a mp3?

Al Borland

by XyloJW

ATCG posted:

waht's a mp3?

the thing that came after .midi and .wav

----------------

Cosmic Charlie

ATCG posted:

waht's a mp3?

Some hip new thing I dunno

H.H

there were also diskmen that played mp3 CDs. needless to say, they weren't able to read the CD more often than not.

Al Borland

by XyloJW

H.H posted:

there were also diskmen that played mp3 CDs. needless to say, they weren't able to read the CD more often than not.

gotta get one of those noskips

----------------

posting smiling

ATCG posted:

waht's a mp3?

like cassette tapes for robots

Piso Mojado

Cosmic Charlie posted:

Behold

I found a mix tape I partially made for a mdlschool crush cleaning out my parents basement. Track 1 was written boldly "Walking In Memphis". I shuddered and threw it in the trash.

Cosmic Charlie

H.H posted:

I think I had a silver one that played mp3s, this is the first and only surviving one I have now though

Somehow the airwalk sticker has become see through

Piso Mojado

Cosmic Charlie posted:

I think I had a silver one that played mp3s, this is the first and only surviving one I have now though

lol. wasn't there a "mega bass" switch?

Cosmic Charlie

ATCG posted:

lol. wasn't there a "mega bass" switch?

Still set to max

H.H

Cosmic Charlie posted:

Still set to max

wonderful

Piso Mojado

hahaha

cat_herder

BE GAY
DO CRIME

Cosmic Charlie posted:

Doesn't that bring back memories, I had one of those too.

Happy birthday hh! Try not to be too horrified at the younger generation, and bonus points if you can keep up with technology!

Al Borland

by XyloJW

Cosmic Charlie posted:

Still set to max

lol poo poo mine was always max too. WHy did they even make it an option?

----------------

ulvir

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk_vV-JRZ6E

oliwan

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm early 30s it's pretty much the best tbh.

oliwan

by Nyc_Tattoo
I guess some people already have kids in their early 30s, that's hosed up.

Captain No-mates

Sometimes I get flashbacks to before blu-ray. Truly a barbaric, brutish era.

Chill la Chill

Don't lose your gay

I've already prepared for this. I joined my uni's ballroom dance team.

Apparently I'm #1 Kotori fan

thank you matoi and vanisher for the sigs, lovely dad for the cool av

H.H

that one 6-year old is kinda neat, she actually knew what that was and was interested by the rate of technological advancement.
on the other hand, i expected more from the 12 and 13-year old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

children

• Locked thread