Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I don't think the kid really plays soldier much after the start, though. Like after like two episodes he's making this face :( every time his classmates start dorking out about weapon specs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
This anime still is awkward because I have to get past the fact they're driving around Nazi tanks every time like...the protagonists probably shouldn't have Nazi tanks even if the title includes "Panzer". I know they couldn't really use Japanese tanks but...I gotta go through this every time I watch more eps. Also when they're in like the gray coats and all and there's the sideways iron cross looking stuff on her oneechan's uniform and stuff. It's awkward :T

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Good Listener posted:

This anime still is awkward because I have to get past the fact they're driving around Nazi tanks every time like...the protagonists probably shouldn't have Nazi tanks even if the title includes "Panzer". I know they couldn't really use Japanese tanks but...I gotta go through this every time I watch more eps. Also when they're in like the gray coats and all and there's the sideways iron cross looking stuff on her oneechan's uniform and stuff. It's awkward :T

Panzer is German for tank, the Panzer design is the basis for modern tank building except filtered through the IS series, the Iron Cross is still given out to German soldiers and the German dress uniform is still gray

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Good Listener posted:

none of those things are inherent nazi symbolism really

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

I'm somewhere around episode 12/13 of Toradora now. The fact that I'm not even sure is probably a good indicator of how I feel about it. The show has started to feel less skewed towards comedy and is harder to watch as a result. The plot and pairings are definitely moving forward subtly, the beach episodes were especially good for this, but getting the motivation to put on an episode or more (and make it through the whole thing) is what's tough. Not much else has changed, dub is still good and the characters are all solid/likable, even Ami at this point.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

dogsicle posted:

I'm somewhere around episode 12/13 of Toradora now. The fact that I'm not even sure is probably a good indicator of how I feel about it. The show has started to feel less skewed towards comedy and is harder to watch as a result. The plot and pairings are definitely moving forward subtly, the beach episodes were especially good for this, but getting the motivation to put on an episode or more (and make it through the whole thing) is what's tough. Not much else has changed, dub is still good and the characters are all solid/likable, even Ami at this point.

You're almost there. That episode. It was like 16 or 18 or something. Your feelings about the show will be made clear.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

It's kinda funny that I burned out on Toradora when I did, since it was the exact point the show started picking up again. Pretty much everything from Christmas onward was both engaging and painful to watch. Even though the last few episodes threw a ton of fake outs, I'm glad the ultimate ending was happy (especially for Minori and Ami). This challenge was fun and I'm glad i didn't give up on the show. Not expecting my viewing habits will change drastically, but with Kimiuso finishing sometime soon I at least have another romance in my sights (plus the recommendations from this thread).

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Good Listener posted:

Gee, I guess that means Nazis date all the way back to 1813 Prussia, where the Iron Cross was first awarded.
German military and the NSDAP are not mutually inclusive.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
Just finished Kids on the Slope. Had a busy month, so I didn't have time to get a full writeup of my thoughts, but I enjoyed it. It's not something I would have gone out of my way to see if it wasn't recommended, but it was an interesting watch.

The Sentai Dub was... a Sentai Dub. It's about what was expected. I wound up watching the first episode dubbed, and then just stopped watching the dub, so I didn't really have any preferences regarding the voices there.

Ultimately, not my cup of tea (I'm not going to go out of my way to find more works by the director, for example), but I didn't hate it. Thanks for the recommendation.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Watanabe also did Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Zankou no Terror in Resonance, and Space Dandy. I cant remember if he did anything else, but all those are unique and interesting in their own right.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Senerio posted:

(I'm not going to go out of my way to find more works by the director, for example)

You've probably seen them.

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!
I probably should have realized he did those. Well then I take that note back.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

ViggyNash posted:

Watanabe also did Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Zankou no Terror in Resonance, and Space Dandy. I cant remember if he did anything else, but all those are unique and interesting in their own right.

He did, he even plays a character in one of the ones you missed

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Butt Frosted Cake posted:

He did, he even plays a character in one of the ones you missed

Shinichi Watanabe is not Shinichiro Watanabe.

Butt Frosted Cake
Dec 27, 2010

Holy poo poo

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

He also directed Macross Plus, arguably the best thing with Macross in the title.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

I barely made it over the weekend and finished up Sally the Witch, or at least all of the episodes available in English (which is only a fraction of the total episode count).

It was a neat experience but I'm glad I didn't have the whole thing readily available because it started to drag by the time I was almost done with it. It didn't take terribly long for the show to get hella repetitive.

Which isn't an inherently bad thing but all it had to offer was a decent imitation of Looney Tunes-esque humor and the occasional corny as heck attempt at sentimentality. Which is fine but it makes for a rough watch when you go through multiple episodes at a time!

It was cool to get a taste of anime that old though, I'm no stranger to old shows but that was the first black and white anime I watched. I definitely don't regret it and would be open to checking out other shows from that era sometime.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Srice posted:

I barely made it over the weekend and finished up Sally the Witch, or at least all of the episodes available in English (which is only a fraction of the total episode count).

It was a neat experience but I'm glad I didn't have the whole thing readily available because it started to drag by the time I was almost done with it. It didn't take terribly long for the show to get hella repetitive.

Which isn't an inherently bad thing but all it had to offer was a decent imitation of Looney Tunes-esque humor and the occasional corny as heck attempt at sentimentality. Which is fine but it makes for a rough watch when you go through multiple episodes at a time!

It was cool to get a taste of anime that old though, I'm no stranger to old shows but that was the first black and white anime I watched. I definitely don't regret it and would be open to checking out other shows from that era sometime.

Sabu and Ichi's Detective Tales is a very good, albeit barely animated show. It's a police procedural set in Edo era Japan. I'd personally suggest skipping the first episode, since it's exceptionally grim and is likely to put off a fair number of people. It's largely episodic so you aren't missing crucial plot information or anything.

Also the OP rules. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vn7VXAYunvc

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
I forgot to post when I finished it, but I finished Princess Tutu last week, and thoroughly enjoyed it. The first half was decent enough with the monster emotion of the week, but I can see it dragging on for other people. It picks up in the second half, and the last 5 or so episodes were really great.

I really liked how Drosselmeyer acted as both narrator and antagonist. It really helped sell the fairy tale gone wrong storyline.

I'm glad I watched it. Thanks for making the thread Srice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Srice posted:

There's some fansubbed original Gegege no Kitaro out there somewhere, and Kitaro owns. Again, it's nowhere close to the full run, but it's enough to give you a taste of what Kitaro is about (yokai start loving things up for humans/humans gently caress things up for yokai, Kitaro has to sort it out) and it's a ton of fun. It does have about the same problems of being fairly repetitive, so you might want to slow down to one episode a week or something.

• Locked thread