Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I've been binging on this show all day.

I cannot believe that having listened to Steve Coogan's Alan Partridge stuff I hadn't watched it before.

It is a very solid and surprisingly insightful comedy about aging and friendship, mostly told through Michael Caine and Roger Moore impressions.

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Feb 4, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Both of them were a great watch and managed to be pretty poignant even with both mens' struggles with fame. Also, Coolidge? Do you mean Coogan?

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Stare-Out posted:

Both of them were a great watch and managed to be pretty poignant even with both mens' struggles with fame. Also, Coolidge? Do you mean Coogan?

Haha changed

I think that I combined Colridge and Coogan, I'll go smoke some opium now

Professor Shark fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Feb 4, 2015

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
I like how in the first one Coogan was the laddish one with an eye for the ladies and his family life in a bit of a state, and in the second one it was Brydon, and Coogan was trying to get his life back on track.

And they look gorgeous too, great direction from Michael Winterbottom. Italy in particular looked fantastic, but since the Lake District is a place I've spent many a weekend the first one may be my favourite.

Edit: I mean, they're playing fictional versions of themselves, of course.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I'm only halfway through S2E5, but I really liked how during their dinner Coogan just accepted Brydon's impersonation bit and laughed at it for being genuinely funny.

The entire series has been them fencing at dinner tables (moreso Coogan, at least in the first season) and I don't know if he'd actually laughed at Brydon's routine up until that point.

Also Alanis Morissette as being the soundtrack for the second season, despite the MP3 full of Italian music and opera that they have.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I just finished it, good ending, glad I found this show

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I watched The Trip to Italy on a plane ride in the movie form, did I miss much from the episode versions?

I still need to watch the last 2 episodes of the first series, but there wasn't much on the VOD that interested me and I didn't want to watch Guardians of the Galaxy on a buffering 5" display.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Theres a couple of small strands of storyline that go across both seasons but its nothing really, you can pick anyone that you like and you won't miss a single thing. The main difference between the two seasons is the setting and the dynamic between the two of them. The first season is in the Lake District and Coogan is the grumpy, bitter one and in the second one its Brydon only hes now doing it in Italy.

I remember the first season having far more impersonation-duels as well.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Gentlemen, To Bed!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

I've seen this on Netflix (well, the first one that is). I though that it was a movie?

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

There are two series of six episodes each and two films which are edited versions of the episodes. The episodes have more stuff in them compared to the movies, obviously.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Stare-Out posted:

There are two series of six episodes each and two films which are edited versions of the episodes. The episodes have more stuff in them compared to the movies, obviously.

I did not realize that. The first I ever heard of it was seeing a trailer for the movie. I just always assumed it was a movie, and never investigated deeper.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

You should, the first season is a nice beer-and-couch-and-food show, the second wine-or-cocktail-and-food-and-couch, preferably if you're in your late 30's and up.

• Locked thread