Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
msghall1229
Jan 13, 2015

Just Left of Boom!
Need a bit of in site on theses two lockers. First it's going into a 83 Chevy C10 with a 6.2L diesel and turbo 400 trans. I have 2.73 rear end. Want to convert it to a locker. Eaton is very well know but has price to match. Spartan locker is not one I have heard of but price is 300 less. Both carry a 1 year warranty. So what does a eaton have that a spartan doesnt?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Firstly, which Eaton are you talking about? They make several kinds, including the Detroit brands. As you said it was $300 more expensive, I'm assuming it could be an E-locker.

An E-locker is a "real" locker. It is an open differential that is indistinguishable from the standard one when you're driving it disengaged, and when you engage it, it locks the two halfshafts together so they always rotate at the same speed, and it behaves like a spool.

Eaton also make the Detroit Locker, which is an automatic mechanical design which effectively "ratchets" so that one halfshaft can freely spin faster than the other. So whatever input speed you're driving at will be the slowest that either wheel can go, thus effectively locking them while still allowing you to go round corners easily (because the outer wheel can spin faster to take the larger arc it follows).

The Spartan Locker behaves similarly to the Detroit, the difference being that it is meant to fit into your existing differential carrier casting, rather than replacing the whole thing like the Detroit or E-locker do. This is why it's cheaper than the Detroit.

This type of locker is called a lunchbox locker. On some axle designs, you can fit it without even removing the diff, and thus not have to reset anything like ring and pinion mesh when you're doing the job. However, the standard differential carrier casting may represent a weak point compared to a full-replacement aftermarket design.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I'd say that's a perfect explanation.

To add a point, you may never have heard of Spartan, but they're very well known in the offroad community. If you ARE looking at lunchbox lockers, Aussie Locker and LockRite offer similar products. I personally use a LockRite, but from what I've seen, they're very much "normal goods" - there isn't a significant difference between the three brands.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.
I've got an autolocker in the front diff of my 87 wrangler and it works great most of the time. It gets a little sketchy when I'm braking with one wheel over ice but since I usually don't drive the YJ in winter, that's rarely an issue.

VVV I like having an auto locker in the front rather than the rear because 9 times out of 10, when I'm in 2WD, I can't even tell that I have a locker installed but when I engage 4H or 4L, it greatly increases my traction.

Sandbagger SA fucked around with this message at 21:23 on Feb 6, 2015

Astonishing Wang
Nov 3, 2004
I also have a lockrite locker in the front axle of my jeep. It's great. I'm sure there are large benefits to be had from getting the full-case locker though. I chose the lockrite because I could install it myself without messing with ring/pinion settings. It took a few good hours of work to pull the carrier and replace the spider gears with the locker. When I say a few hours it was probably more like 6 :shobon:

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

InitialDave posted:

Eaton also make the Detroit Locker, which is an automatic mechanical design which effectively "ratchets" so that one halfshaft can freely spin faster than the other. So whatever input speed you're driving at will be the slowest that either wheel can go, thus effectively locking them while still allowing you to go round corners easily (because the outer wheel can spin faster to take the larger arc it follows).

The Spartan Locker behaves similarly to the Detroit, the difference being that it is meant to fit into your existing differential carrier casting, rather than replacing the whole thing like the Detroit or E-locker do. This is why it's cheaper than the Detroit.

How well do these behave in solely-pavement-bound vehicles? I've always wanted to upgrade from the one-tire-fryer my GMC has. Realistically I think I should just pay up for a Truetrac or other "proper" LSD and be done with it, though.

Sandbagger SA
Aug 12, 2003

Giant Thighs.
Painted Threads.
Just Off the Highway.

IOwnCalculus posted:

How well do these behave in solely-pavement-bound vehicles? I've always wanted to upgrade from the one-tire-fryer my GMC has. Realistically I think I should just pay up for a Truetrac or other "proper" LSD and be done with it, though.

Auto lockers don't really smoothly engage and release like LSDs so you end up with clacking noises. YMMV.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

I have a mustang with a factory LSD (in a ford 8.8" rear end) and a jeep with a detroit locker (not truetrac - locker; also in a ford 8.8" rear end).

The Jeep definitely makes more noise when engaging and disengaging, but also gives a distinct feeling or sensation of traction. It's completely streetable, as long as you're ok with the noise. Personally, I'm quite a big fan of it because of the distinct "point it and put your foot in the throttle and you will go that way" sensation.

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...

IOwnCalculus posted:

What kind of rear end is in the GMC? 12-bolt?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Yeah, 8.875" truck 12-bolt. Just enough different from the car one to not use most of the same parts, and is apparently actually a wee bit weaker too (not that I'll run into problems at ~300hp with no traction).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boaz MacPhereson
Jul 11, 2006

Day 12045 Ht10hands 180lbs
No Name
No lumps No Bumps Full life Clean
Two good eyes No Busted Limbs
Piss OK Genitals intact
Multiple scars Heals fast
O NEGATIVE HI OCTANE
UNIVERSAL DONOR
Lone Road Warrior Rundown
on the Powder Lakes V8
No guzzoline No supplies
ISOLATE PSYCHOTIC
Keep muzzled...
Can't imagine aftermarket LSDs are cheap for 12 bolts. Any local yards with trucks laying around? There's a '78 C10 at mine, but I don't know poo poo about the truck rear ends regarding what was available when.

• Locked thread