Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I wonder how smite is doing for them. They sell heroes like in league but they've been selling a God bundle featuring every God from now to perpetuity for 30 bones. I wonder if they make a lot more doing that than selling gods piecemeal. It's not like they have a mess of cosmetics to sell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Anybody who plays Smite deserves death IMO.

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
Tribes:A is the only f2p game where I've spent money. I dropped like $20 on it, and now I have a pathfinder with all the dope stuff unlocked. I love tribes.

Got to go fast.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

JIZZ DENOUEMENT posted:

Tribes:A is the only f2p game where I've spent money. I dropped like $20 on it, and now I have a pathfinder with all the dope stuff unlocked. I love tribes.

Got to go fast.

put like 5 bux into it for vip during beta and have recently unlocked all weapons through normal play. even then everyone knew hirez had no loving idea what to do with the game.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur

Overbite posted:

o, i heard people complaining about new pay 2 win stuff a while back but I guess people always cry pay 2 win. my bad.

Still it was a fun game. SMITE is like DOTA for people who want to play DOTA but don't for some reason.

They were creating new guns that were overpowered so if you were using only points to unlock stuff, instead of real money, you would most likely have to wait a month to unlock stuff, and by then they would have nerfed the gun.

But I think what killed tribes was the influence their business model had on gameplay, not only the pay to win stuff. I played a bit of tribes 2 (you can still find people playing quite easily) and the fact that you can just pick any gun you want have a huge influence on gameplay, while in tribes ascend the business model ended up making the gameplay more contrived since they needed to impose more limits to equipment usage to create the idea of multiple upgrade paths you could take, taking more of your time so you could get enough points to unlock stuff, so you would be more inclined to spend real money.
Also I bet that for every equipment piece they would put in the game would took meetings with marketing people and we end up with those weapons that were almost the same as other weapons with some stats change, the kind of poo poo that could only be produced by managers or marketing people, instead of game designers.

program666 fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Feb 10, 2015

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
to be fair the guns that are like +1 ammo -1 damage and poo poo are worth like a tenth of what the actual different guns are. they added those as sidegrades to the regular versions instead of like, a call of duty tweaking system or something.

program666
Aug 22, 2013

A giant carnivorous dinosaur
yeah, it was almost kind of sane but it's part of how much of a mess their whole weapon/class system ended up being in the end, after all those p2w weapons were introduced and everything. In a sane game where you could just pick your weapons instead of unlocking them they could just be a checkbox where you selected the variation instead of being another gun with other rules governing its upgrades.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
FPS games have never made sense for a F2P model, and the fact they tried to market it as a competitive FPS while leaving weapons behind all this grinding is just insane

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Bobnumerotres posted:

i dont know how they expect people to trust them at all if they just flat out drop poo poo to chase other opportunities

Back in the 90s and early 2000s companies just released a game and people paid $50-60 for that game and the company didn't continue developing it. The same concept can apply to an F2P game with a cash shop.

It's Hi-Rez's way of saying that's all the content they want to do for the game and it's complete, enjoy.

Not profitable to continue developing content for a game with a limited market. Anyone stating exact player numbers is wrong and even if they were right they don't have access to the revenue and overhead of Hi-Rez.

puberty worked me over fucked around with this message at 17:43 on Feb 10, 2015

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Larry Parrish posted:

to be fair the guns that are like +1 ammo -1 damage and poo poo are worth like a tenth of what the actual different guns are. they added those as sidegrades to the regular versions instead of like, a call of duty tweaking system or something.

the sidegrade spinfusors usually are better in fact, lol.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i've considered it and i'm not gonna bother playing tribes still, because even though it's fun everyone else has played it for 10 million hours and has everything unlocked. tired of poo poo like someone heavy capping in a 5 second route because they've practiced for so long they know exactly which rocks to fly off of with spinfusor boosts. this game was good when actual people played it too

puberty worked me over
May 20, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Have you considered making friends to play games with?

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Extra posted:

Back in the 90s and early 2000s companies just released a game and people paid $50-60 for that game and the company didn't continue developing it. The same concept can apply to an F2P game with a cash shop.

It's Hi-Rez's way of saying that's all the content they want to do for the game and it's complete, enjoy.

Not profitable to continue developing content for a game with a limited market. Anyone stating exact player numbers is wrong and even if they were right they don't have access to the revenue and overhead of Hi-Rez.

hi-rez employee spotted

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Larry Parrish posted:

i've considered it and i'm not gonna bother playing tribes still, because even though it's fun everyone else has played it for 10 million hours and has everything unlocked. tired of poo poo like someone heavy capping in a 5 second route because they've practiced for so long they know exactly which rocks to fly off of with spinfusor boosts. this game was good when actual people played it too

sorry for your loss

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IB4a1WaE17A

Kazvall
Mar 20, 2009

this thread reminded me tribes:a exists again, I'm downloading right now

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Kazvall posted:

this thread reminded me tribes:a exists again, I'm downloading right now

someone setup a keyless master server for tribes vengeance. never got into the game but i might try it now. http://tribesrevengeance.com/

that being said this insanely retarded gamer is going to play ta right now.

Lamebot fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Feb 12, 2015

Dexters Secret
Jun 19, 2014

shazbot

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
Get the enemy high.
No.
I'll go get high.

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
VGTG

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i remember in the games thread there were people legit making the argument that this game was going downhill because "all people do is spam shazbot"

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
the games thread got mad at me and another guy cause he posted a vid of us getting our whole team to spam incoming enemy vehicle

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

tranime scholar posted:

the games thread got mad at me and another guy cause he posted a vid of us getting our whole team to spam incoming enemy vehicle

my mates were the ones to get hirez to add in raindance's backdoor by posting a video of mortar and fractal abuse, paired with the inventory station timer bug i shared with them. that deranged sicko, danbo, mus t be stopped.

you could double your fire rate on mortar with that inv station exploit. also imagine a fractal being laid every half second without end. turtling the enemy flag for laughs has never been easier.

Lamebot fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Feb 12, 2015

ur in my world now
Jun 5, 2006

Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was
Same as it ever was

Smellrose
rip the infinite disco

Knuc U Kinte
Aug 17, 2004

I've had the motley crue tribes song stuck in my head for the last 3 days.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡
http://www.reddit.com/r/fpsz/comments/2f47z7/i_played_project_z_and_here_are_my_thoughts/

quote:

I attended the Project Z PAX reveal event and played a pre-alpha build of the game. I talked with many of the people working on the project and heard their thoughts. I got belligerently drunk, ordered $100 of flatbread and stumbled home.

Overall

Project Z has me hyped - the devs know what they are doing. They have formed Archetype Studios for this game and it is not a community-level effort like other post-Ascend FPS+Z games. Archetype wants to monetize the game, but at this time, are not sure what business model they will go with. They are open to free-to-play, microtransactions and the standard pay upfront.

Similarly, the game is still very young and Archetype is open to many possibilities for development. The playable demo was a smooth, untextured CTF on Damnation.

Gameplay

The game in general is a mix of T1 and T2 and has less directional control than T:A. On the physics, it runs with 50% inheritance (Update: on explosives, 100% on chain). The UE4 engine felt fantastic - smooth skiing, classic jets, no down jets and no floating in air. Once you start falling, you are now falling. At best you can slow yourself with jets, but you aren't going back up until your next launch. When you stop skiing, you come to a stop quickly. The Damnation water physics slow you to snail's pace in a second or two.

There were 3 weapons, though I can't remember their names: chain, disc and grenade launcher. During reload, you could not switch weapons weapon switch was disabled. My understanding is that it will have the 3/4/5 weapon loadout for light/medium/heavy classes. 100 health, no regen.

Gametypes discussed include CTF, Deathmatch, Rabbit, Team Rabbit (2?) and others.

Technical

The game is not very limited by player size in server and can support large numbers. However, it's still to be determined if large player games will be made.

Mouse movement was crisp - no lag or acceleration.

The team made it clear that they will support community-made maps. They will likely not support mods due to the non-trivial amount of effort required.

Art (Updated)

During the presentation, they showed a clip of an animated landscape and a few assets. I would say, it has a similar feel to Legions: Overdrive. I did not see any weapon or character models. In terms of creating a universe or any lore, the art direction is still to be determined.

My apologies, my art description was not too accurate. Here is a better description of the art courtesy of Fire and Dodgepong:

The art is "very colorful in the same vein as Wildstar or Firefall (will probably fall in between them). The art is less cartoony though, but still more fun and animated. Not gritty and brown at all." - Fire

• Locked thread