Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Saint Francis be my speed! how oft to-night
Have my old feet stumbled at graves!
The fates I fathom, yet farther I see:
Of the mighty gods, the engulfing doom.
Brothers will battle to the bloody end
And sisters' son their siblings will betray;
Woe rules the world, much wantonness;
Axe-age, sword-age -- sundered are shield --
Wind-Age, Chaos-Age, ere the world crumbles;
The spear of no man spares his other;
A blood-red sun dims Elmal's light
And brings a winter summer does not melt;
Such heralds the doom of the world.

-- A Hendriking Prophecy of the Hero Wars

The year is 1619, and the Lunar Empire is on the verge of total victory. Sedenya, the Red Moon, and her Empire, ruled by her son the Red Emperor, have marched from victory to victory, driving south across Genertela, conquering everything in their path. Bold Sartar has fallen, Prax has been brought into the Lunar sphere, and Kethaela, the Holy Country, has lost its immortal Pharaoh - lost forever when the Lunar assassin Jar-Eel magically dismembered him.

Now, the Lunars march on Heortland, the last free Orlanthi, led by King Broyan the heir to Vingkot. They march to Whitewall, capitol of Broyan's Volsaxi tribe, in a bid to crush Orlanth and have Sedenya finally take full and complete possession of the Middle Air. A hundred companies of crack Pelorian hoplites, auxiliaries, and fearsome battle mages from the Lunar College march south to grind the last of the barbarians under their heel and prove once and for all that We Are All Us.

You have come to Whitewall for many purposes, but your duty now is clear - defend the city and Orlanth, or die trying!

Welcome to a HeroQuest Glorantha game, set in the heroic Siege of Whitewall, which (historically) stretched from 1619 to 1621 S.T. though your PCs will probably change things up!
Players will be Orlanthi of wide origin - Ralians, Talastari, Heortlings, :ducksiren:Durulz:ducksiren:, Tarshites - all are welcome. The Lunars have ensured that this fight is no longer a regional battle, but rather a spiritual war that calls out through the Other Side. Don't be afraid to be bold in character creation - you might not be Harrek, but don't let that stop you from thinking bigger than stickpicker if that's where your thoughts go! And if you're a newcomer to Glorantha, have no fear! I'm happy to answer questions in the thread or on IRC.
I'm looking for 4-6 players, preferably able to post at least once every two days or so.
If you have any questions, or just want to chat, feel free to hop into #cowgame on SynIRC, where we talk about Glorantha a decent amount!

Character Creation
1. Choose a character concept
2. Choose a cultural keyword. Starts at 13
3. Choose the community you have a relationship with. Starts at 13
4. Occupational keyword. Starts at 13
5. Choose your 3 Runes - an element, a power, and a third rune, which can be either of the previous or a condition rune. Assign one at 1W, 17, then 13
6. Add distinguishing characteristic at 17
7. Pick 5 additional abilities, either breakouts of a keyword or rune (start at +1) or at 13 if stand alone
8. Spend 12 points to raise keywords, abilities, and breakouts. Cannot spend more than 10 in any one
9. Describe up to 3 flaws, one of which can be the distinguishing characteristic. Flaws are rated at your highest rating, descending

HeroQuest basics
(Stolen from Tran and Tindalos with many thanks!)
Abilities and Keywords
An ability can be anything your character can use to interact with the game in some way. It can be a physical attribute (strong as an ox), a mental skill (knowledge of oxen), a personality trait (stubborn as an ox), a relationship (covets Harmast's oxen), a flaw (relates everything in terms of oxen), a possession (owns a flock of chickens), or anything else you can think of that could be used to solve a problem or affect the game world.
Keywords are broad and general abilities, relating to such things as an occupation or a background (eg. ox farmer). These can be used like any other ability in play, for anything related to that keyword (for example, a soldier will know all about how to fight with a sword, or how to set up camp). Keywords cost more to raise in play (see the Hero Point section for details), but may also contain other abilities. For instance while all soldiers will know how to fight, a soldier who specializes in archery will be far better at that than others. These abilities are known as breakouts.
Abilities and Keywords are rated on a scale of 1 to 20. When you increase an ability beyond 20, instead of going to 21, the ability is now rated at 1W. The W is known as a Mastery, and indicates a level of skill beyond that of most people. When in a contest, you increase your level of success by 1 for each mastery you have. If both sides of the contest have masteries, they cancel each other out on a one for one basis.
Breakout abilities are noted beneath their keywords as an increase. For instance:
Sailor 17
- Catch Fish +1
While performing any other sailing activities, the sailor has a rating of 17. While catching fish, they have a rating of 18.

Contests
Most actions will be determined with a simple test. 1d20 will be rolled for you, and one for your opponent or resistance.
Both attempt to roll under their appropriate number, and above the opposing roll.
The results are then compared on a step scale of Critical -> Success -> Failure -> Fumble.
The distance in steps determines the result.

Augments
Any defined ability, keyword, or rune may be used to improve the next test of another ability.
You must describe the way in which the augment improves your action prior to the test in question.
You may describe the augment in one of two ways. 1. An association that the group as a whole finds interesting or funny. If it elicits a regular, positive response it will fit here. 2. A logical association. If it's a simple claim that a keyword that covers training with a weapon would improve combat with that weapon, it belongs here.
The level of augmentation depends upon how how appropriate/interesting the ability being used to augment is.
Comical or clever augments may be used as long as the group finds them interesting. Logical augments may only be described the same way once. The general rule of thumb here is to avoid getting stale. Switch it up, and you can keep reaping the benefit of augments.

Wounds and Lingering Benefits
Any time you make a contest, the result may add an advantage or penalty to following uses of that ability or group.
In the case of a success, usually this will apply a temporary bonus to subsequent uses. These bonuses will vanish when next you fail a contest with that ability.
In the case of failure, you will accrue "Injuries" to all abilities associated with the one in use. These can be anything appropriate to the contest at hand. From actual wounds in physical combat onto simple embarrassment in a social situation.
Wounds come in four levels. Hurt->Impaired->Injured->Dying.
Wounds are healed either through time or supernatural means.

Hero Points
Players begin each session with 3 Hero Points.
They act as both your extra effort and your XP.
Runes and keywords, being broad, require 2 HP to raise 1 point during play.
Breakouts and abilities only cost 1 for 1.
Hero Points may be used to bump up a contest result by 1 step per point.

Friar John fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Feb 13, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dumnbunny
Jul 22, 2014
Sounds very cool, and I'm interested (off-hand I'm thinking Orlanth worshipper, though Lhankor Mhy, Kolat or Odayla would be cool, too ... ok, I have too many character ideas right now). However, given that I'm already in a Gloranthan PbP game, if needs be I'll bow out in favour of someone who isn't getting their Gloranthan fix.

Tindalos
May 1, 2008
Hedvaran the Ritualist

Hedvaran hails from Caladraland, serving his people as a spirit talker and priest of Veskarthan the Volcano God, through his sons Kalavan the Loyal Son, who the Heortlanders call Elmal; and Oakfed the Wildfire.
Like the volcano god, he is lusty and wild, caring not for civilized society, who often find his manners disturbing, and his ash-covered skin disgusting.
Distrusted by many Orlanthi, he found himself blamed for many small fires erupting in Whitewall before the siege, and ended up a prisoner of Broyan, who he impressed by his mastery over flames. When the siege came to Whitewall, he was freed under the condition he aid in the defences, something Hedvaran is all too willing to do, as he hates the Lunars as any true Orlanthi does.

pre:
Concept: Fiery Ritualist

Cultural Keyword: Caladralander 13

Community: Oakfed Spirit Society 13

Occupational Keyword: Spirit Talker 15
			Priest 15

Runes
Fire - Initiate of Kalavan (Elmal) 1W
	Never Lies +1
	Urzani Fire Elemental Spirit Ally +1

Life 13

Spirit - Caladraland Tradition 1W
	Burning Flint charm (Power: Increase Fire. Taboo: Do Not Prevent Fire From Spreading)
	Camp Fire charm (Power: Ignite Straw. Taboo: Light a Fire Every Day)
	Bon Fire charm (Power: Create Fire that Burns Without Fuel. Taboo: Never Extinguish a Fire)
	(two other charms to be determined in play)

Ash-coated skin 17
Flint-headed spear 17
Protection of Broyan 13

Flaws
Beardless 1W
Lustful 1W

Tindalos fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Feb 22, 2015

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

So down for this!

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Verr posted:

So down for this!
Great! There's another 6 or so days for recruitment, so plenty of time for you and anyone else contemplating making characters! If you have any questions, feel free to ask here or on IRC!

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Helrica Ramsblood

Hailing from upland Sartar, Helrica is a Helering from a clan where Heler worship predominates. This clan, part of the troll-lovers tribe, the Torkani, is regarded as being a bunch of completely untrustworthy bandits. Driven to whitewall by the call of the gods and their immense hatred of Lunars, Helrica is androgynous, typical of one with their level of devotion. What is most definitely not typical about them, though, is the fine pair of Ram horns they sport, growing out of their forehead and curling back. These horns are of course, an obvious sign of their high piety. This outward manifestation of their magic is matched by an inner realization, albeit one that has yet to be developed. An intuitive mystical power, represented as the magic rune, exists within them. Right now, it is vestigial and inert, but it yearns to be awakened...

quote:

Concept: Unrealised Heroic Helering

Cultural Keyword

Sartarite 13

Community keyword

Blue Snake Clan 17.

-Friend to Darkness +1

Occupation Keyword:

-Herder 14
-God-talker 14

Initiate of Heler, Uroth the Blue Ram subcult (water).

Elemental Rune: Water: 4W,
-Swift as the River +1

Power Rune: Movement: 17,
-Fly like a storm ram +1

Condition Rune: Magic:13

Abilities:

-Ram's Horns (distinguishing characteristic) 17
-Fight like a maniac 17

Flaws:

Mercurial Temperament 5W
Heart lies with the sea 4W
Helering Nationalist 18

NewMars fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Feb 21, 2015

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
Inorlanda Snowdrift

A daughter of Inora, Goddess of Mountain Snow, Inorlanda was bought back from a heroquest by her father to turn a rivalry between clans into an alliance with an Engagement. Adventurous at heart despite her duty, she has insisted that where her husband goes, she follows, and the two of them have come to take part in the defense of whitewall.

quote:

Homeland: Heortling 13

Community: Born into the Tarkmasting clan 13

Runes:
Cold - Initiate of Inora 5W
-Dispel effects of cold +1
-Deadly Icicles +1
-Shielding Ice +1

Movement 17

Harmony 13

Distinguishing Characteristic: Breath turns to fog without chill

Frost-child 5W
-Born on the god-plane +1

Sidekick: Barveste Barbrastson
-Member of the Laughing Heron clan 16
-Protective Husband 19
-Unyielding Spearman 4W

Flaws:
Reputation for heartlessness 6W

reignonyourparade fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Feb 18, 2015

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
Kevala

The Redbreast family was once one of the blossoming powers in Nochet; having much influence over an increasingly varied number of institutions within the city they began to rival even the powerful Norinel family. Lunar and Red Earth prominence within the Queendom however, changed everything and the relatively traditional Redbreasts found themselves under Lunar scrutiny and discriminatory regulation at every turn until their once plentiful estates, businesses and connections were reduced to next to only a handful. Redbreast Grandmother Imarjale forged a shaky alliance with the waning Old Earth faction in a desperate attempt to fight back against Lunar hegemony and retake Redbreast assets.

From a young age Kevala proved to be a great fount of the Goddess’ magic and her skill as a clothier was almost entirely supported by her ability to enchant her tools and materials. Her ability to manipulate and con provided the support her enchanting ability could not through the acquirement of expensive dyes, metals and fabrics.

Although she was not born to the wealthiest branch of Redbreasts, compared to most, she was showered with riches and luxuries most in Esrolia could only dream of, so when her family’s combined wealth began to suffer, her poverty (albeit a poverty of which only the very ambitious could aspire to) made her covetous and she began to overcompensate her lack of wealth by way of a haughty and contemptuous attitude.

While Grandmother Imarjale plotted with the Old Earth Alliance, the Red Earth Alliance became increasingly assured of their success and lax with their spies whom would have surely alerted alliance leaders to any Redbreasts leaving Nochet. Edro, Kevala’s brother and an unfortunate initiate of Orlanth was enthusiastic about leaving and defending Whitewall but was forbidden because he “needed to protect his sister”. After a secret conversation between Imarjale and Kevala, Kevala revealed to her brother that she had a plan to get him to Whitewall, wherein they could leave together as long as he vowed to protect her; they did just that.

Now in Whitewall, Kevala has integrated herself into the royal household as a tailor, using her prestigious background and cunning to gain admission. She has brought with her everything needed to defend the Redbreasts and Esrolia, and as her Grandmother says: she is the Defence of Esrolia, the Egg of Earth and the Axehead of the Redbreasts, the future depends upon her.

pre:
Defender of Esrolia, Egg of the Earth, Axehead of the Redbreast
Manipulated Manipulator

Esrolian Noble 13
+1 Imarja’s Justice

In the Household of King Broyan 13
+1 Brother is a Weaponthane for King Broyan

Clothier 13

Earth 7W
+1 Stunning Beauty
+1 Clever Manipulator

Harmony 13

Magic 3W
+1 Enchant Clothing

Long Iron Sewing Needle 13

Contemptuous 8W
Under Pressure 4W
Looks like a fun game! I'm already playing in the other Gloranthan game, so if the choice is between me and someone else not in that game, I'd rather you pick the other person. Glorantha is fun and more people should experience it. :)

Chatrapati fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Feb 17, 2015

Mogren
Jun 2, 2014

Enlightened beast
Spirit among mortals
Spreader of wisdom
Forever watchful
Good kitty
:angelcatte:

Chatrapati posted:

Glorantha is fun and more people should experience it. :)
I might do just that then! I'm new to HeroQuest and this setting and I've been considering to sign up, but I'm trying to get a feel for the system first. Do I also need a rulebook for character creation or is everything as open-ended as it looks?

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Mogren posted:

I might do just that then! I'm new to HeroQuest and this setting and I've been considering to sign up, but I'm trying to get a feel for the system first. Do I also need a rulebook for character creation or is everything as open-ended as it looks?
It's very open-ended. The abilities aren't so much hard mechanical measurements, but narrative short-hands for "how likely is this aspect of the character going to affect the game world?", and that can be anything from your sword-arm to your ability to tell dirty jokes.

Mogren
Jun 2, 2014

Enlightened beast
Spirit among mortals
Spreader of wisdom
Forever watchful
Good kitty
Awesome. Then I'll pop up on IRC to sort a submission when I get the chance, likely around the weekend.

ProfessorCurly
Mar 28, 2010

Myrsal Gerwinson
The Wanderer of the Winter Sun

Myrsal is a son of Gerwin - as was his father, and his father's father all the way back to the near-mythic founder of their house. Gerwin was a cultist of Yelmalio, and so too his descendants would be, all acting as guardians and templar in the Sun Domes. However, unlike his father, his father's father and the rest of his line the young Myrsal found ill at ease in the regimented world he grew up in. He was possessed of a wanderlust that threatened to consume him, and every day he grew older was a day closer to what felt like inevitable insanity. Myrsal was not a good trainee. He resented his duties, did not pay attention to lessons and spent more time with the slaves digging trenches, wells and performing menial labor as "character building" than he did in drills with the rest of the young men his age. He had resigned himself to misery, but then the fateful day of his Initiation came.

Not even a troubled youth like him could be denied entry into manhood. And as part of that transition, the priest imposed on Myrsal the bonds that would be his freedom - his personal Geas, to tell true all things to all people. The priest had thought this incredibly clever, for the young Mrysal was quite adept at slipping away into places he aught not to be, and what better way to ensure compliance in the troubled lad than to make sure that all his misadventures would be made known at the first inquiry?

However, the priest and everyone else had misjudged just how much lying Myrsal had been doing. Within the hour, he had exploded at his father, the rest of his family and a good number of soldiers. He explained all the lies he had told, through gritted teeth and false smiles. He hated guard duty and how everyone expected him to accept it with a smile. He hated the way every second of his life was planned with military efficiency. He resented the lack of freedom, the ability to make his own decisions. He hated the way that everyone had tried to break his mind and soul so that he could be "proper" and finally he announced how much he hated the Sun Domes themselves.

When he left, he took with him the Bow of Gerwin - a family heirloom, a bow of solid gold that fired arrows straight and true as if they were rays of the sun itself. It had been passed from eldest son to eldest son for as long as the family could remember. Myrsal's father had thought to give it instead to one of Myrsal's younger brothers. Instead, the young man "preemptively collected his inheritance and birthright" along with a few supplies and set out into the world.

The wilds became his home. He was a hunter, and quite good at it he found. The cold winds of winter had no hold on him as a son of Yelmalio, and he found both brush and blizzard could not hamper his way. He spent many years like this, a wanderer in the wilds who was known to the communities around which he traveled only in passing. However sometimes a child who had become lost in the wilds, or trapped in a sudden blizzard would find their way home against all odds, helped along by this Winter Wanderer.

When the Lunar Empire invaded, he was not all that concerned. He lived in the wilds, and cared little for the arrogant Wind Lords who chased him from communities he visited only to return lost children and livestock, or to inquire briefly about news in the world or trade furs for a few luxuries. But when a messenger from the King of the land comes to summon you to the royal court, it pays to be polite. The King summoned him to investigate rumors of a Yelmalion wandering the wilds - and he wanted to know if Myrsal was a spy for the Red Moon.

The offer to stay as part of the White Wall guard was surprising, but as he pondered Myrsal realized that the freedom he so enjoyed was imperiled by this invading force. Would the Lunar Empire tolerate lone hunters living off the wilds? Would there even be wilds when the Northmen started building their cities?

It was only later that he found out that his fellow Yelmalions were marching with the invaders, and that they were headed straight to White Wall...

quote:

Concept Wandering Son of the Sun

Geas Never Lies

Cultural Keyword Yelmalion 13
-Archery Drill +1

Community In the Employ of the King 13

Occupational Keyword Hunter 13
-Fletching +1

Runes
Light - 1W
-The Golden Bow of Gerwin +1
A bow of gold that fires arrows straight and true as the rays of the sun itself.

Truth - 1W

Movement 1W

Distinguishing Characteristic
Bowman's Back +17
Although naturally strong from a life in the wilds, the muscles of his back, shoulders and upper arms are especially so, being the main muscles that draw the bow. Unlike other professional archers who have great disparity in the strength of one arm compared to the other, this effect is symmetrical on Myrsal indicating that he shoots his bow from either hand equally well.

Additional Abilities
Siegecraft +13

Map-making +13

Flaws
Wanderlust 2W
Of Poor Graces 1W
Untested 1W

ProfessorCurly fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Feb 20, 2015

Mogren
Jun 2, 2014

Enlightened beast
Spirit among mortals
Spreader of wisdom
Forever watchful
Good kitty
Apologies, something came up and I'm going to have to sit out afterall.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Jonaker Battle Leader

Jonaker was originally a simple carl from one of the northern Orlanthi confederations in Heortland (or the holy country as it is called under the Pharoh) his own family were happy to see how strong in his breath he was and many were expecting him to do well, particularly as his father had recently inherited a large number of cattle. Such was not to be the case however. At age 16 Jonaker headed out of his village and into the far depths of the Mountains, lead by a feeling he could not explain until he found himself climbing the highest hill he could find. Once there he found at the top an old man, suspended in the air controlling his breathing. Fascinated Jonaker watched and observed before attempting to copy the mans movements. The grey beard apparently found this hilarious and, laughing all the while, picked up the young boy and jumped all the way to old wind temple.

Since then Jonaker has spent almost 30 years learning the meditations and protecting the older members of that ancient temple, learning a love of battle and of directing those farmers who live in the mountains against the, ever more frequent, Lunar patrols. However his dreams have begun to darken, hearing in them the words of Orlanth and of Kev speaking in unison of a warning of a great trial, and across it all a mouth of chaos that flies on leathery wings. He has found only one such creature that is apparently like the one he percieves in his dream, the dread Chaotic Demi-Goddess known as the Crimson Bat. Since that time Jonaker has sworn many powerful and lasting Oaths to Orlanth that he will Tear down this abomination that pollutes Orlanths sacred airs or perish in the attempt. The mystics were sorry to see him go, but were not ones to prevent an Orlanthi from fufilling one aspect of the great storm, and sent him out with one of the swords left to them by rebellious heroes and wished him well.

Thus does he find himself at Boldhome now.

pre:
Concept: Orlanthi Storm Strategist

Cultural Keyword: Heortland 13

Community: Old Wind Temple 13

Occupational Keyword: Warleader(thane)  17
                                      Godtalker 17

Runes
Air  3W
    Strike Down Chaos +1

Mastery 17

Movement 15
   Fly using Breath +1

Distinguishing Characteristic: 
Sword of Orlanth Undying 15
Booming Voice 13
Strong of Arm 13

Flaws
Obsessed with slaying the Crimson bat 4W
Will not yield 3W

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Feb 21, 2015

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

Going to close recruitment tomorrow, so if any of you want to make a last minute character, feel free!

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Garrath, Slave-Warrior of the Wolf Pirates

As a young man Garrath joined the Esrolian Queen's navies as a marine, hoping to defend his peoples from the Wolf Pirates. When Herrek and his armada came Garrath was captured and enslaved, made to row and fight and raid. Garreth soon proved his strength, and under oath not to harm his masters, gained greater and greater responsibilities. Garreth proved such an able warrior that he was granted the Watchman's Helm to aid in his long night-watches at sea.

After years of servitude, Garrath learned of the Lunar's march on The Holy Lands. He begged leave to take a detachment of Esrolians slaves to aid in the defense of Whitewall, but was refused. The following morning, he leaped from his ship and swum twenty leagues to shore. Now he seeks to reunite a band of Esrolian refugees and warriors to prove his worth and return victorious to Herrek.

pre:
Concept: Wolf-Pirate Thrall

Cultural Keyword: Slave-Warrior of the Wolf Pirates 13

Community: Esrolian Refugees 13

Occupational Keyword: Slave-Marine 17
                          +1 Weather-eye
                          +1 Swimmer                                 

Runes
Darkness - 1W
Water - 1W
Death 13

Additional Abilities
Fisherman 13
Food Tester 13

Distinguishing Characteristics
Brutalizing Scars 1W (Flaw)
One-Eyed 13

Flaws
Proud 17
People Pleaser 13
e: Never even looked at Heroquest before, and my only experience with Glorantha is skimming The Guide and King of Dragon Pass. If I've messed something up, let me know!

tokenbrownguy fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Feb 23, 2015

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

I like how it looks, Verr - if there's one group of people I could see liking Ana Gor, it'd be the Wolf Pirates. Few little changes - Death is a rune, but the other two aren't quite. Maybe Disorder and Water? Disorder would definitely make sense for a raider.

Also, as much as I'd like to start the game today, I caught a cold and it's kicked my rear end. But recruitment's over and :ducksiren:you're all in!:ducksiren: I'll post the game thread when I'm not coughing my lungs out.

Chatrapati
Nov 6, 2012
Hooray! I'm very pleased everyone got on. :)

Verr, if you'd like to talk about your character there's quite a few knowledgable people on #cowgame at the moment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Friar John
Aug 3, 2007

:getin: We're live! :getin:

• Locked thread