Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rj54x
Sep 16, 2007

OctoberBlues posted:

A turkey burger with swiss is twice as good as a traditional beef hamburger with american cheese. :colbert:

This is so objectively wrong it hurts.

If you had said venison burger with 20% beef suet ground in, then maybe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
A good fresh ground beef burger with Gorgonzola and sweet onions is better than any loving turkey burger any day.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Zosologist posted:

Turkey leg sous vide. *mic drop *

Honestly, I didn't really care for this at all when I tried it a few months ago :(

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I know this is a cliche for fat, uncultured tourists, but the giant smoked turkey legs you can get at Disney World are amazing. I had my first one ever last year, on a very rare trip to Epcot, and it was so worth it. It might have been the most delicious turkey I've ever had, and there was so much meat on the leg.

Beyond that, I make meatloaf and meat sauce all the time using lean ground turkey, but turkey burgers come out super-bland to the point of having no point at all.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Make done a d use the turkey to cut the lamb. Saves money but has lamb goodness.

Speaking of lamb goat is very cheap and very delicious

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010
Define "super cheap" for the purposes of this thread. Like heart was "super cheap" and then by the time I cut it down to the usable meat it was really no better per pound than the clearance steaks (which I can always find at the poorly managed Kroger down the street). Chicken hearts, thighs, etc. are all the same (or more) than breast here, with Liver being the one exception. While I love being able to buy some red meat for cheaper, or get some diversity in cuts, it's hard to justify paying more for a "cheap" selection than I do for good chicken breast, especially when I'm very comfortable with that ingredient.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Daeren posted:

I'll happily eat or try stuff made from tongue, cheek, liver, heart, viscera...but testicles still make me physically uncomfortable to imagine eating :stonk:

From a couple days ago, but... I mentioned in another GWS thread that my awesome local Asian supermarket now has pig uterus for sale, and that it squicked me right the hell out. Yet the idea of eatin' balls doesn't faze me --- probably because I don't have them (balls, that is). If anyone's working on a PhD, I wonder if there's an untapped study/thesis to be written on gender and food preferences when it comes to reproductive organ meats.

brick cow
Oct 22, 2008

Che Delilas posted:

Plus, this is just a guess, but it wouldn't at all surprise me if the pop-up timers that are included with turkeys are tuned a little high

I love turkey! Those pop-up thermometers go directly in the trash- they're set to 180-185. Turkey is safe at 165 just like chicken,

KettleWL posted:

Define "super cheap" for the purposes of this thread. Like heart was "super cheap" and then by the time I cut it down to the usable meat it was really no better per pound than the clearance steaks (which I can always find at the poorly managed Kroger down the street). Chicken hearts, thighs, etc. are all the same (or more) than breast here, with Liver being the one exception. While I love being able to buy some red meat for cheaper, or get some diversity in cuts, it's hard to justify paying more for a "cheap" selection than I do for good chicken breast, especially when I'm very comfortable with that ingredient.

Chicken breast: worst cut of chicken save maybe the beak.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

The idea is a super cheap delicacy. If we just wanted cheap wed Be swapping rice and bean recipes. Heart has a wonderful depth of flavor so it isn't money saving it is just delicious and relatively affordable.

KettleWL
Dec 28, 2010

Shbobdb posted:

The idea is a super cheap delicacy. If we just wanted cheap wed Be swapping rice and bean recipes. Heart has a wonderful depth of flavor so it isn't money saving it is just delicious and relatively affordable.

Totally down with this, and I'm not at all trying to dismiss the awesomeness of those delicacies. I also want to get a better idea of what people are calling cheap. Like Chicken livers for the cost I paid were one of the best ingredients I've ever messed with, growing up with a busy rear end single mother that never learned to cook I had no experience with them, so this thread has already paid it's dividends. Still, I hear that ___ is delicious, run out and can only find it for $8/lb,and decide I'm going to stick with something more in my budget.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I buy chicken hearts at Publix (the biggest Florida supermarket chain) for $1.50 a pound. It doesn't get much cheaper than that.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Seriously? Chicken legs are regularly on sale for $0.69/lb, whole chickens $0.99/lb

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

KettleWL posted:

Still, I hear that ___ is delicious, run out and can only find it for $8/lb,and decide I'm going to stick with something more in my budget.

Yeah, to me to role of this thread isn't to replace BSCB as a staple, it's to find a treat that doesn't cost treat prices. $8/lb for a delicacy, rather than an everyday protein, seems legit to me.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
Yeah chicken livers here are 39 cents a pound.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Black truffle. It's like $250/lb as opposed to $1K+/lb for the superior white truffle. The real trick if you are in the PNW is to source some garlic truffle. It's rare but not really that expensive.

Also, candycaps man. They are starting to get more well known but they add a really nice maple-y depth, like fenugreek and aren't that expensive.

Go against the gluten free train and grab some mock duck at your local Chinese grocer. Pretty much 100% gluten and pretty much 100% awesome. Goes great in sammies and anywhere else you'd add some ducky protein.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Subjunctive posted:

Yeah, to me to role of this thread isn't to replace BSCB as a staple, it's to find a treat that doesn't cost treat prices. $8/lb for a delicacy, rather than an everyday protein, seems legit to me.

Your statement is the exact polar opposite of the original post which started off with people complaining over $5/lb for beef shank and ox tail.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

pandaK posted:

Your statement is the exact polar opposite of the original post which started off with people complaining over $5/lb for beef shank and ox tail.

That was more a complaint against hipsters and foodies driving up the price from where it had been at like .50/lb for what is essentially a soup and collard flavoring.

Y'all need to get in on Brussel Sprout Leaves if you can find them. Take off the stem, chop the leaves skinny and long lengthwise. Cast iron. Heat up pan, Sautee greens for a few minutes, then kill the heat, spritz with water to cool it down a little (not instant vaporization but still steam), then add a little chicken broth and soy sauce, cover pan, and walk away for 10 minutes. Put greens in bowl, drizzle with sesame seed oil. Eat with chopsticks like noodles. Savory and nutty with a touch of sweet, chock full of vitamins.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Suspect Bucket posted:

That was more a complaint against hipsters and foodies driving up the price from where it had been at like .50/lb for what is essentially a soup and collard flavoring.

Y'all need to get in on Brussel Sprout Leaves if you can find them. Take off the stem, chop the leaves skinny and long lengthwise. Cast iron. Heat up pan, Sautee greens for a few minutes, then kill the heat, spritz with water to cool it down a little (not instant vaporization but still steam), then add a little chicken broth and soy sauce, cover pan, and walk away for 10 minutes. Put greens in bowl, drizzle with sesame seed oil. Eat with chopsticks like noodles. Savory and nutty with a touch of sweet, chock full of vitamins.

Alternatively, cut them in quarters and brown them in a pan with butter, diced onions and bacon.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Alternatively, cut them in quarters and brown them in a pan with butter, diced onions and bacon.

I'd probably cut them a bit smaller than quarters, as the leaves are nearly the surface area as a sheet of printer paper.

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Suspect Bucket posted:

I'd probably cut them a bit smaller than quarters, as the leaves are nearly the surface area as a sheet of printer paper.

Cover the pan a bit then. Fresh and crunchy caramelized brussels sprouts are really good even if sounds undercooked.

wootsie
Feb 27, 2013
I pull the leaves all off, which takes a while, but then cook them in bacon fat and balsamic vinegar. Delicious.

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

Fresh and crunchy caramelized brussels sprouts are really good even if sounds undercooked.

Along this line...I take my sprouts, and trim them, halve them, and then toss in some melted coconut oil with a little salt and pepper. Then I throw them on a sheet pan, and roast till crispy and done. I sometimes toss some shredded coconut or some finely chopped basil/tarragon over the top before they are cooked too.

Roasted sprouts are so yummy.... this is the only way people in my family will voluntarily go near a sprout.

I've shredded the sprouts as well and pan fried with bacon and onion. That's good too, but I really prefer the coconut over all. It just makes the sprouts shine.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

You can also roast them shredded with chunks of squash, tossed after with a thinned Dijon (I use apple juice). And then you can eat them.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Nonono, the Brussel Sprout LEAVES.

(bonnie plants container brussels)

They're bigger than your face and twice as delish. Cheap to free if you know a farmer who will give you them, and I dont even think most people know the mutant weirdness of what a brussel sprout plant really looks like.

(mass market brussels)

Sprouts are cheap and underappreciated though.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 21:01 on May 14, 2015

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
I have bought the full stalks before but never seen one in the ground. What a weird rear end plant.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006
I cook brussels sprouts at least twice a month, and I have never seen a full plant with the giant leaves either.

I just roast mine with EVOO and kosher salt, although in the past I've drizzled them with Blaze balsamic glaze afterwards, or I've used bacon grease and even pancetta grease instead of EVOO. I like them when they start to get a little dark and crispy. They might be my favorite vegetables, aside from collard greens cooked with smoked meat (which I've never actually made myself).

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Suspect Bucket posted:

Nonono, the Brussel Sprout LEAVES.

:chanpop:

I never knew this was a thing and I'm from Belgium

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

:chanpop:

I never knew this was a thing and I'm from Belgium

GET ON THE BRUSSEL LEAF TRAIN BEFORE THE BANDWAGON ROLLS IN

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

They might be my favorite vegetables, aside from collard greens cooked with smoked meat (which I've never actually made myself).

You can cook the B.leaves like collards too, if you like.

Ooh. B.Leaves. That's a great nickname for them.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
its

op

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I used to do that with broccoli leaves. So many people just want one part of the plant. So much more fun to have all of the plant.

Depending on where I move, I might be able to grow brussel spout trees, which would be pretty awesome.

In terms of a cheap delicacy, it is hard to beat a good tomato or a good mango. Add some basil to either and make a ghetto caprese. If you can get buffalo mozzarella, then you can go really crazy.

Speaking of water buffalo, Kymak is loving delicious. I haven't had much luck finding it stateside but if you have a good little Turkey/Bulgaria near you, you could get that with honey and call it a day. Super decadent.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Shbobdb posted:

a good mango. Add some basil

Well that's something I'll be trying this weekend!

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me
Sorry for thread necromancy, but I found a ton of organ meat at a local market. I got sweetbreads and lamb, goat, and chicken hearts. I've never cooked with any of these before, anyone feel like offering suggestions? I've seen a lot about grilling chicken hearts but I only have an indoor setup, no grill.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Look Under The Rock posted:

Sorry for thread necromancy, but I found a ton of organ meat at a local market. I got sweetbreads and lamb, goat, and chicken hearts. I've never cooked with any of these before, anyone feel like offering suggestions? I've seen a lot about grilling chicken hearts but I only have an indoor setup, no grill.

I cook chicken hearts all the time now, just in a saute pan. First I trim off any excess fat, marinate them overnight with thin-sliced onions in the acid of my choice (Italian dressing, lime juice, mojo criollo, etc), and then just saute for about ten minutes, until they're brown. I'll usually serve them over white rice or orzo pasta, and they are so good. Chewy, but rich and meaty-tasting, like chicken thighs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
When I used to visit SF all the time I would get (I assume pork [lol]) brain tacos and they were really good... How is the price for that? what am I looking for in stores?

• Locked thread