Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Resolutioned the Hardest?
This poll is closed.
Cpt. Spring Types - Shake It Off 8 44.44%
Cmdr. Shepard - Shake It Off 2 11.11%
Alternative Pants - Beautiful Day 1 5.56%
Tayter Swift - The Model 0 0%
syntaxfunction - Supersonic 0 0%
Hawklad - Harderbetterfasterstronger 4 22.22%
Captain Violence - Go with the Flow 3 16.67%
Total: 18 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Rockstar is back! We've decided to ditch GBS as the venue for voting threads and do it in NMD instead.

This round's theme was "Your new year's resolution". Songs that could possibly be something that someone would drunkenly tell their friends that they're like, totally going to work on this year.

We've got some great entries, but it's up to you to decide whose resolution is the most legit.

Click here to listen to the set, and use this knowledge to vote!

The winner gets to choose the theme for the next round. These contests are always a great time, and we'd love to see it keep going. The more people who enter, the better. You don't need to have amazing skills or fancy equipment to join, so come on by Musician's Lounge and say "I'm in".

We hope you enjoy these tracks, and we'll see you next time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
1. The Black Flash - Shake It Off: This came together really well, I like the musical track better than the original. The vocals were overall really good but just got a little to shout-y for my personal taste. This was my second place vote.

2. Green Belt Joe - Shake It Off: I like the rock style of this. It's well balanced. Kind of sounded like the vocals were straining a bit on the higher notes.

3. Tom F Lynn - Beautiful Day: Some beats or percussion could really go a long way. It was to hard to feel the rhythm without it, the beginning just sounds like four repeating chords 1 - 2 - 3 - 4. The chorus was pretty good with harmonizing.

4. Dumbledog - The Model/Kraftwerk: I like the parts that don't have the vocoder. It lags behind by like half a beat and is really distracting. There are a few mistakes that could be polished up too. Otherwise a pretty good synth cover.

5. Syntaxfunction - Supersonic: Can't hear any of the lyrics and the guitar is pretty muddy. It sounds like you can play the guitar decently, though. Crank up those vocals!

6. Hawklad - HBFS: This got my vote. Well done, as always. Only critique is sometimes the words aren't super clear like they are in the original. Otherwise very well done!

Could the list of previous Rockstar contests get added to the OP if possible? I don't have archives and can't access any thread with the list of all the previous themes in it.

voodoo dog
Jun 6, 2001

Gun Saliva
Listened to all of the entries, really enjoyed every single one of them, good job!

Loved the Shake It Off cover by The Black Flash (that is Cpt. Spring Types, right?) the most, so that's what I voted for. Definitely plan to participate in the next one so I can lower the average quality of entries a bit. ;)

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

I'm not sure why it wasn't included, but I had submitted an entry as well ...

https://soundcloud.com/captainviolence/go-with-the-flow

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
Ahhhh poo poo. It's because I am an idiot and wasn't thorough with my double-checking. One of my favorite entries too! Sorry, man. :(

I've sent a PM to het to see if the poll can be modified.

Edit: het to the rescue!

Cpt. Spring Types fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Feb 24, 2015

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

No worries! :) I'm just excited we've got Rockstar going again. I'm torn on who to vote for, I think I'll have to listen to them a few more times.

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

When does this thread die and the next contest thread start? I'm ready to go again.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Alternative pants posted:

When does this thread die and the next contest thread start? I'm ready to go again.

I think I set the poll to last 14 days. But whenever we're ready to call it and get moving, I'm down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe
I just want to say that I think everybody did a great job. Rockstar's been one of my favorite things about the forums and I want do everything I can to cheer it on.

In other words-

Wuntvor posted:

Definitely plan to participate in the next one so I can lower the average quality of entries a bit. ;)

Hell yeah!

• Locked thread