Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
glowing-fish
Feb 18, 2013

Keep grinding,
I hope you level up! :)
http://www.somethingawful.com/news/erotic-scifi-stories/

I liked this article because halfway through, I really did think "this reminds me how much I want to read some Ace Doubles". It reads exactly like old pulp, with only the slightest satirical edge (until the end).

I didn't recognize the author's name, and assumed it was Zack Parsons---and then I saw that this was Applewhite's first front page article! I should have recognized it, since Applewhite is kind of the master of subtle satire.

I hope we see a lot more Applewhite articles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Great article. If it wasn't on SA I could see it being written by a shameless author who couldn't see the forest for the trees.

Also the trees are all shaped like giant alien penises because that's what the flora on Zandar 7 looks like GAWD.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

DancingShade posted:

Great article. If it wasn't on SA I could see it being written by a shameless author who couldn't see the forest for the trees.

Also the trees are all shaped like giant alien penises because that's what the flora on Zandar 7 looks like GAWD.

And the Zandarians have never even seen a human penis anyway! If they saw a human naked, they'd wonder why he had a miniature tree growing out of his crotch. To them, it's you who is the pervert for sexualizing trees. Just something to think about.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

I had a good laugh at this article and enjoyed putting together illustrations for it. I think Dr.Who goldmine was the last time I did it for Applewhite's work and I liked that one too.

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Palpek posted:

I had a good laugh at this article and enjoyed putting together illustrations for it. I think Dr.Who goldmine was the last time I did it for Applewhite's work and I liked that one too.

I loved that the thought process of the fictional illustrator for "Negroes of the Black Nebula" was like "Black people would fly in a black rocketship, right? Yeah, of course they would."

yeah actually they will
Aug 18, 2012
this was a fun article, i liked it

Kleptobot
Nov 6, 2009
Kind of sad that I could imagine this defense coming from an actual sci-fi writer, but I guess that's the point. Great article.

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS
I always thought Dr Applewhite would write a good frontpage article. Looking forward to more hopefully.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Applewhite posted:

I loved that the thought process of the fictional illustrator for "Negroes of the Black Nebula" was like "Black people would fly in a black rocketship, right? Yeah, of course they would."

Well, what was the color of the US Space Shuttle?

Yeah.

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014
The illustrations made it. It was a very good article & I enjoyed it a bunch. I assumed it was Zack too because his articles tend to have that style and humour. Very happy to hear we have a new front page writer. I hope this becomes a series.

Edit: ENORMOUS STORIES

Lonos Oboe fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Mar 4, 2015

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost

Lonos Oboe posted:

The illustrations made it. It was a very good article & I enjoyed it a bunch. I assumed it was Zack too because his articles tend to have that style and humour. Very happy to hear we have a new front page writer. I hope this becomes a series.

Edit: ENORMOUS STORIES

I have quite a few F. Frank Manfred ideas but I want to do a few others in between before coming back to him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lonos Oboe
Jun 7, 2014

Applewhite posted:

I have quite a few F. Frank Manfred ideas but I want to do a few others in between before coming back to him.

Cool, Looking forward to it. Congrats again.

• Locked thread