Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kill you are self
Jun 17, 2005

pa rum pum pum pum
donkey kong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Y-Hat posted:

on the internet "waggle" translates into "waaaaaaaaah i'm a big gay baby who can't handle flicking my wrist once in a while"

they do go a little overboard with it but it's still a fun as hell game in spite of it. also, hard as hell at the end- i lost so many lives in that volcano level with the rising lava

i dont remember many levels from it either. all the minecart levels are great and i remember the huge difficulty spike on the lava world but beyond that it didn't blow my mind

tropical freeze asks you to do some ridiculous poo poo for its final levels but you feel ready for it

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i don't remember too many levels from dkc returns either, but i sure as hell remember the one where you have to run from a giant cloud of spiders

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The level design is really tight in DKCR, but with a few exceptions the aesthetic is pretty blah, which makes a lot of levels pretty unmemorable and is the biggest knock against it

Tender Bender fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Mar 3, 2015

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014
This is great, I always wanted to get DKC2 (being 5 when the N64 came out means that I've played most of my SNES games over Virtual Console). I'm actually wrapping up the last few levels of Tropical Freeze right now, how do those games compare in terms of difficulty*? And is this a limited time deal, because I may want to hold off to prevent Donkey Kong burnout.

*discounting that TF lets you buy lives in bulk. I'm pretty sure the only way I beat the spire and platform k levels was sheer attrition.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

dkc2 is the perfect game thats all you really need to know. it has a great difficulty curve with some absurdly hard optional levels as a reward for finding all the bonus secrets in the regular levels

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Yeah, I kind of builds the difficulty, but unless youre collecting the bonus and DK coins, it should be mildly challenging without murdering you with difficulty. some of the bosses can be tough (king zing and king k. rool spring to mind). once you start going for the bonus levels, there are definitely at least two really difficult ones.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
now that i think about it, i don't think i ever beat the lost worlds, i got up to animal antics. i think i need to rectify this

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

the hidden final boss was a neat touch. they also did the lost world stuff in DKC3 and it was cool but there was a rocket ship level in it that was loving bullshit

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i just read that in the gba-make of dkc3 they redesigned the rocket level to be even harder and doesn't have a continue point lmao what the gently caress

JIZZ DENOUEMENT
Oct 3, 2012

STRIKE!
The one thing that bugged me is that 99% of the hidden items to get the lost worlds are hidden with appropriate challenge, but still relatively plausible to discover. But there's always one or two that are absolute bullshit.

I never managed to find all of them without a guide. The ones where you have to fall into an apparent death hole with no bananas or contextual clues...

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

i dont remember any secrets that had no hints whatsoever. there was always something if you paid attention, at worst it was an on-rails/race level where you see something's up and miss it and have to replay it to go for the secret

even if you have trouble cranky usually had tips for finding the trickier secrets. i think the one that hosed me up was the skull cart level where you could enter a second bonus stage immediately after the first one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ROBO_ERECTUS
Sep 5, 2007

Let me take you for a ride.
All the DKC games are great, your brain must be broken if you cant appreciate such platforming goodness.

• Locked thread