Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Bastard Tetris posted:

Goddamn I'm an old goon. I was in college, and my roommate was a Palestinian named Osama who came to my college because the IDF blew up the university.
:stare: How much poo poo did your roommate get from racist assholes?

Anyway, my 9/11 story is much the same as everyone else, pulled out of school by my mom midway through the day. The only thing that really makes it stand out was that the reason she pulled me out was that she was terrified terrorists would try to fly a plane into the school. Then I, a nine year old boy, had the memorable experience of trying to tell my mother to calm down because no one anywhere would give a drat about an elementary school of about 400 students in a Cleveland suburb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
Oh oh I know what we can do!

*clears throat*

VOTING FOR HILLARY IS THE SAME AS VOTING REPUBLICAN!

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

SHUT UP NO IT ISN'T HAVE YOU GOT A BETTER IDEA FOR A VIABLE CANDIDATE rear end in a top hat?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
I was in middle school on 9/11 and throughout the day we had kids getting called to the office because there relatives had started to be reporting dead or missing.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

I was 11. That day I was convinced Saddam Hussein had attacked us and that it was time to invade Iraq. It's good to know that Bush, Cheney, Rumsfeld and the gang had the same idea. As an 11 year old.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
On 9/11 I was busy placing thermite charges at an undisclosed location.

Xibanya
Sep 17, 2012

Clever Betty
When 9/11 happened my parents were in high school. They didn't find out what had happened until I mentioned it over a discussion of gross overreach of American foreign policy about 40 years later.

Stop talking about your boring 9/11 stories. Talk about RFRAs or net neutrality or something, ffs.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I was 10 when the first gulf war started. I remember being on the school bus and a girl in my class coming in crying because her dad had to go off to war. That was the first time I knew war was real.

Oh and then 9/11 happened some years later and I was fairly shocked.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

On 9/11 I was busy placing thermite charges at an undisclosed location.

So you were the guy who blew up the gas station out on I-8 in the desert!

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump

ErIog posted:

You're loving right they aren't, and yet we have this stupid derail every month or two. I don't understand at all how people's personal experience of 9/11 has anything to do with USPol March, and I wish people would take it to the chat thread or make another thread if they want to talk about it. All of us have personal experiences of 9/11 we could talk about, but almost nobody has an experience of it that anyone else would ever care about.

People like talking about themselves on the Internet. Someone posting their banal 911 experience is like forum jet fuel. Good thing we're already preparing to evacuate this thread.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

On 9/11 I was this militia guard:

E: no wait I was bin laden's horse

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I was terror-NORAD. The whole thing.

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

The guy who drew that should have slipped in a box saying "cobra commander sold separately" before that article went to the presses.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I learned about 9/11 from Slashdot.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

ErIog posted:

You're loving right they aren't, and yet we have this stupid derail every month or two. I don't understand at all how people's personal experience of 9/11 has anything to do with USPol March, and I wish people would take it to the chat thread or make another thread if they want to talk about it. All of us have personal experiences of 9/11 we could talk about, but almost nobody has an experience of it that anyone else would ever care about.

What Im confused about is what this post has to do with US pol march.

And also my post.

and probibly your response since I doubt you will be able to take the hint.

Good Citizen posted:

People like talking about themselves on the Internet. Someone posting their banal 911 experience is like forum jet fuel. Good thing we're already preparing to evacuate this thread.

This thread is an inside job.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Raskolnikov38 posted:

I have a confession I gotta make: after 9/11 I completely bought the idea that this was real.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

USPol March: NIST defunded, it stays March.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Chantilly Say posted:

I have a confession I gotta make: after 9/11 I completely bought the idea that this was real.

You were left impressionable by earlier exposure to Wheres Waldo books.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Raskolnikov38 posted:

Haha, holy poo poo I never noticed the bit about the horse before. Years later and this image is still the gift that keeps on giving.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

Haha, holy poo poo I never noticed the bit about the horse before. Years later and this image is still the gift that keeps on giving.

Im not sure why Bin Laden has a Subaru Forester rather than a pickup truck in his volcano lair im starting to think there may be problems with this graphic

Fuck You And Diebold
Sep 15, 2004

by Athanatos
Anyone who bought the idea that terrorists in the loving afghan mountains had 1150 ft deep fortresses had to be loving mentally deficient. 115 floors down into the mountain? We might as well just give up now jfc

Bastard Tetris
Apr 27, 2005

L-Shaped

Nap Ghost

InequalityGodzilla posted:

:stare: How much poo poo did your roommate get from racist assholes?

He got the cops called on him pretty much constantly for a year for reasons like "looking like a terrorist" and turned into a misogynist shut-in that only talked to his cousins and bareknuckle boxed for money in LA fighting rings the next time I saw him after moving out, while being that physics major that hung out in the back of the class and never talked to anyone.

Anyways apparently these stories aren't interesting so bring on USPol April: a bunch of people that don't know Amergin's schtick

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Accretionist posted:

I was always disappointed we didn't get a grave and foreboding speech over the loudspeaker. We didn't get anything. In fact, my rear end in a top hat History teacher saw the news on his computer and didn't loving tell us.

In my class, the news came via a student hall monitor on a bright pink paper. The teacher of the class was one of the very few teachers I ever disliked, and I remember adolescent me was initially amused at the spectacle, since at first, it seemed like she was getting the pink slip in front of the class.

"Two airliners have crashed into the World Trade Center, both buildings have collapsed. A third airliner has crashed into the Pentagon."

me: "There's 40,000 people in those buildings!" Thanks to a timely documentary on the Discovery Channel (if you can remember before all those channels went to poo poo).

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Zeno-25 posted:

In my class, the news came via a student hall monitor on a bright pink paper. The teacher of the class was one of the very few teachers I ever disliked, and I remember adolescent me was initially amused at the spectacle, since at first, it seemed like she was getting the pink slip in front of the class.

"Two airliners have crashed into the World Trade Center, both buildings have collapsed. A third airliner has crashed into the Pentagon."

me: "There's 40,000 people in those buildings!" Thanks to a timely documentary on the Discovery Channel (if you can remember before all those channels went to poo poo).

oh they were still poo poo in 2001, how many hours of crab fishing did you have to absorb to get that factoid?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Spaceman Future! posted:

Im not sure why Bin Laden has a Subaru Forester rather than a pickup truck in his volcano lair im starting to think there may be problems with this graphic

Great mileage and traction dont'cha know.

McAlister
Nov 3, 2002

by exmarx

Crowsbeak posted:

How is that evidence? Especailly when they couldn't find any of the drugs they claimned in her system. What rational person in a jourey would convict with that? Seriously the police that interrogated her and the entire prosecutorial team should be fired. That reads to me like a women was confused, not someone who really wanted to kill her unborn.

You don't need evidence. Rennie Gibbs was given a life sentence for misscarriage of a fetus that was born in a hospital with the umbilical wrapped around its neck.

She was 16, black, and a recovering addict. Clearly the baby died because of her coke snorting ( even though there is no medical evidence linking cocaine to increases miscarriage risk ) and not having the loving umbilical wrapped around her throat.

http://www.propublica.org/article/stillborn-child-charge-of-murder-and-disputed-case-law-on-fetal-harm

Did I mention she was 16 and black? It's amazing how many of the women jailed for misscarriage on the national advocates for pregnant women website aren't white.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

McAlister posted:

You don't need evidence. Rennie Gibbs was given a life sentence for misscarriage of a fetus that was born in a hospital with the umbilical wrapped around its neck.

She was 16, black, and a recovering addict. Clearly the baby died because of her coke snorting ( even though there is no medical evidence linking cocaine to increases miscarriage risk ) and not having the loving umbilical wrapped around her throat.

http://www.propublica.org/article/stillborn-child-charge-of-murder-and-disputed-case-law-on-fetal-harm

Did I mention she was 16 and black? It's amazing how many of the women jailed for misscarriage on the national advocates for pregnant women website aren't white.

You assume that she wasnt in control of the umbilicus, wrapping it around her baby's throat with squid like dexterity. Black people can do that right its where the extra muscle is

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Spaceman Future! posted:

oh they were still poo poo in 2001, how many hours of crab fishing did you have to absorb to get that factoid?

Deadliest Catch started in 2005, man. Before then were the days of when the History Channel was good because it was all Nazi WWII stuff instead of ancient aliens. I even remember when TLC was pretty good.

edit:
9/11 ruined everything. I can imagine how some folks feel the same way about Reagan, but I'm just not old enough to have experienced that and how the country changed as a result. Some left-leaning old-timers I know have anecdotally said as much.

Zeno-25 fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Apr 1, 2015

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES
I love the internet sometimes.

13 hours ago: (Reddit) My husband is blind and uses Uber. We sent an email to KS Representatives as there's a vote today that would make Uber operations illegal in the state. This was Rep. John Bradford's response.

4 hours ago: (Inquistr) John Bradford: Kansas State Lawmaker’s Condescending Response To Constituent Goes Viral

quote:

John Bradford might want to take a minute before he clicks send next time.

The Kansas state representative shot off a seemingly flip and condescending response to a constituent about an upcoming bill that opponents say would effectively ban Uber from the state, but the private correspondence didn’t stay that way for long. The angry voter decided to take her plight to the internet, sharing the letter with the local Kansas City page on Reddit.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

gently caress You And Diebold posted:

Anyone who bought the idea that terrorists in the loving afghan mountains had 1150 ft deep fortresses had to be loving mentally deficient. 115 floors down into the mountain? We might as well just give up now jfc

All I knew at that point was that some guys I'd never heard of from some country I couldn't find on a map had just holy poo poo knocked down the Twin Towers, I think if you told me Bin Laden had psychic powers I would have believed you.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Zeno-25 posted:

Deadliest Catch started in 2005, man. Before then were the days of when the History Channel was good because it was all Nazi WWII stuff instead of ancient aliens. I even remember when TLC was pretty good.

edit:
9/11 ruined everything. I can imagine how some folks feel the same way about Reagan, but I'm just not old enough to have experienced that and how the country changed as a result. Some left-leaning old-timers I know have anecdotally said as much.

Did it really? I could have sworn I watched it in high school but I graduated in 2001, I blame drugs.

Airports sucked a whole lot less before 9/11. Security was usually just some contractor rather than some underpaid overinflated may as well be minimum wage worker who has for some reason been given a badge to send their napoleon complexes to new heights. If I had sinister telepathic powers there would be so many mysterious incidents involving TSA agents and Meter maids. I also miss being able to meet family right at the gate.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

McAlister posted:

The latest news on Google tells me the depraved-heart murder charges were dismissed a year ago, with the prosecutors planning to recharge her with manslaughter. Did the life sentence come out of a new trial, or did you not read the article carefully?

Though yes it is upsetting that all the big-profile cases on this topic I've heard about involve poor and/or non-white women (but not surprising :().

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Wow, that guy must have not gotten enough sleep that night or something. That's awful even for a Kansas state legislator.

edit: or a vengeful staffer instead?

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Raskolnikov38 posted:

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
I thought they all used interns for emails. Someone's getting fired soon.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Uber is poo poo though, so I support him

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

FourLeaf posted:

I thought they all used interns for emails. Someone's getting fired soon.
Yeah, that's probably the case, but I dunno if I could ever be a politician and just let someone, anyone, write emails for me with my name on them.

Spaceman Future!
Feb 9, 2007

Samurai Sanders posted:

Wow, that guy must have not gotten enough sleep that night or something. That's awful even for a Kansas state legislator.

edit: or a vengeful staffer instead?

Should it be depressing that the actions of a republican representative and a spiteful underpaid employee are indistinguishable enough in tone that we cant tell which is which?

Grapplejack posted:

Uber is poo poo though, so I support him

gently caress all companies that claim the majority of their employee base are actually contractors so they can gently caress them and be free of liability.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

I should be focused on the response, but all I can see is the woman claiming that Big Banking is trying to kill Uber.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
April thread over here.

• Locked thread