Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
its not the farthest thing apart but i did a couple of the gt3s and couldnt get too much lower than 58s, but i spent much less time than the c6r

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
I tried the BMW and was about as fast as with the Corvette. Should work out, the track is hard to overtake on anyway, pure laptime performance shouldn't be too important anyway.

Gonna add some GT3s now.

Edit: Man that AC server. Since AC loads all cars right when loading into the session you can not have people just select any allowed car - say from all GT3 cars - in pickup mode, instead you add them individually - the BMW with this livery, the BMW with that livery, and so on up to the maximum of slots - and if more people want to drive BMW than you accounted for, tough luck.

GhostDog fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Feb 3, 2016

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008

GhostDog posted:

Edit: Man that AC server. Since AC loads all cars right when loading into the session you can not have people just select any allowed car - say from all GT3 cars - in pickup mode, instead you add them individually - the BMW with this livery, the BMW with that livery, and so on up to the maximum of slots - and if more people want to drive BMW than you accounted for, tough luck.

yes.

also if you were trying to avoid dreampack 3 cars you messed up :V

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
Where?

Edit: Oh, I see, the SLS AMG was in the base game.

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
the mercedes amg?

OhsH
Jan 12, 2008
Everybody should try all the cars! Variety is what makes gt3 worth driving!

simble
May 11, 2004

OhsH posted:

Everybody should try all the cars! Variety is what makes gt3 worth driving!

what? no! I gotta mix max! gotta go fast!

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
By the way, the Corvette uses soft tires on the default setup. Not sure though how much soft tires wear out in AC in a 25-30 minute race, but probably worth keeping in mind.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I can't wrap my head around that corvette. I need to spend a couple hours with it tomorrow...if I can break away from XCOM 2...

Norns fucked around with this message at 21:15 on Feb 4, 2016

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
I think it is actually pretty easy to drive on that track. Maybe I need to do something to the setup to make it harder (faster)

alr
May 14, 2009
I got the Corvette down to a flat 56 and the Mclaren to a random flat 57, usually 57.4 or thereabouts though. Seems so much harder to drive fast than the Corvette, it understeers right up to the point where it snap oversteers

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

The Corvette is entirely too much car for this circuit (and it is all the more awesome for it)

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
McLaren I found easiest to drive, corvette hardest, and gtr a mix between the two, yet my laptimes show the better as being consistently faster for me, and the claren being the slowest.

I haven't really learned the track yet, but I feel I can get into the low 57's or high 56's if I can keep my office chair from rolling around.

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
The AC Dream Packs are all 30% off in the Steam sale this weekend.

Project Cars is only $20

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Goetta posted:

The AC Dream Packs are all 30% off in the Steam sale this weekend.

Project Cars is only $20

Buy all this if you don't own it.

Project Cars has some really fun tracks and cars. I keep flip flopping between it and AC.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
I am so pumped for AC's console release.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

holocaust bloopers posted:

I am so pumped for AC's console release.

Yeah. I'll double dip for sure.

CascadeBeta
Feb 14, 2009

by Cyrano4747

Norns posted:

Buy all this if you don't own it.

Project Cars has some really fun tracks and cars. I keep flip flopping between it and AC.

If I had to pick just one, which would people recommend? I've had my eyes on both of them for a while.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

CascadeBeta posted:

If I had to pick just one, which would people recommend? I've had my eyes on both of them for a while.

Based on chatter in this thread, AC is the better game just because more people here play it. The PCars thread is pretty much dead.. in fact I had to double check that I even had it bookmarked still.

PCars is not a bad game though. Maybe people just got scared off because of its launch issues.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I've put a lot more time into AC for sure. I'd say get AC for mod support and better overall physics.

PCars is still really fun and gorgeous at high settings.

alr
May 14, 2009
With that said, if you don't have a wheel then PCars is amazing with a gamepad once you have your settings the way you like. The physics in AC are better with a wheel but there's very little "game" to it if that turns you off. The "career" is just a collection of premade events that you do in order, and you progress to the next tier by collecting x amount of podium finishes. PCars also has night races and rain. I've put about the same amount of time into both, they both have their own strengths

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
Depends what you want to do: if you're never ever going to play online and you want a game with a halfway decent single player career mode or if you want to drive Prototypes then I'd get Project CARS. If you're going to play online or you don't care about a career mode then I'd get AC; its a generally more balanced game. Both have some big common weaknesses though; especially the AI which is bad in both games - AC is much better now than it was but it still isn't great.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Pcars is much better for the solo game pad player.

Don't get wrapped up in physics. They're both very competent and fun.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I'll add that gamepad compatibility seems to be pretty subjective as well. I only play with a gamepad and PCars felt like garbage where as AC feels good, albeit difficult without stability control. It sounds as if PCars takes quite a bit of tweaking to get decent gamepad controls, but is better once you do so? Where as AC seems better out of box but is a steeper learning curve. This sort of thing dances dangerously close to physics chat though.

Bottomline should be along the lines of: Want a prettier and "gamier" singleplayer experience? PCars. Want mods and crashing into goons? AC.

vvv Also this.

Jehde fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Feb 6, 2016

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The answer is spend 3000 dollars on a sim rig.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!

Jehde posted:

I'll add that gamepad compatibility seems to be pretty subjective as well. I only play with a gamepad and PCars felt like garbage where as AC feels good, albeit difficult without stability control. It sounds as if PCars takes quite a bit of tweaking to get decent gamepad controls, but is better once you do so? Where as AC seems better out of box but is a steeper learning curve. This sort of thing dances dangerously close to physics chat though.

Bottomline should be along the lines of: Want a prettier and "gamier" singleplayer experience? PCars. Want mods and crashing into goons? AC.

God yes. PCARS requires about a few minutes to set up the sliders. It's the trash default tunes that cause so many headaches. Absolutely sublime with a properly tuned car and gamepad settings.

I never got very comfortable with AC on a gamepad.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Spent some time on the AC server driving the Nissan because I like going sideways and managed to push it to a 58.9 after a little bit of tweaking. Still need to figure out some line stuff around that track though in a faster car. I've only raced there with Quattros and Abarths before.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
Opened AC for the first time in months, managed to connect to the server, and threw down some laps in the Nissan. That default setup is just terrible for brake bias, I think I moved it back a good 6%. Got some halfway decent laps in, typically in the 56.6 range, with one down around 56.26 I think.

How long are these races typically? I don't want to pull a GoonCar iRacing repeat and run out of fuel...

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.

CaseFace McGee posted:

How long are these races typically? I don't want to pull a GoonCar iRacing repeat and run out of fuel...

25 to 30 minutes is what I'm shooting for generally. Barbagallo will be 25 laps.

On that note:

Reminder:

Assetto Corsa
Sunday, February 7th
20:00 GMT
GT3 at Barbagallo

Further details and mod links: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3761771

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Good race, good combo, would race GT3 again in the future.

Evrim
Nov 15, 2005

yum!!
Good race! Had ~180ms ping from South Africa, hope we choose to keep the server in Europe :)

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
Pretty sure the Nissan was a bit faster than the rest of the options, but the rest seemed fairly well matched. I didn't try all of them, but I was getting very consistent times after five laps of each without setup changes.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Oh hell yes. The guy who makes the adapter I needed for the CS Pedals and my TX is finally available!

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Yeah, the Nissan was just destroying everything. Should try using the newer GT3 cars next time we do that class and see how they compare.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Will there ever be a Shelby Cobra event ?

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

Big growling sportscars racing on a short little track like Bargabello is awesome, even if I did get caught up in Lap 1 shenanigans.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If you do that, it's gotta be a track with some really tight hairpins followed by a sweeper or long straight making it a contest of who can get all that power to the pavement.

Like Road America, or CoTA. Le Mans would work too I suppose.

Supersonic
Mar 28, 2008

You have used 43 of 300 characters allowed.
Tortured By Flan
Finally getting a hang of things now, I've been on the server as SVRossen. The race was a blast compared to the singleplayer hotlapping I'm used to.

Edit: Just read this on Facebook about the 1.5 update.

quote:

The development of Assetto Corsa began in 2011. Since then, we have vastly improved our modelling techniques – today we have more resources (budget and manpower) and expertise, and the latest laser-scanning technology also allows us to obtain a better and wider scan, offering an opportunity to grab a higher number of objects surrounding the track. Moreover, during the development of Assetto Corsa, we have changed our approach to texturing and track modelling, creating more secondary details and trackside objects and also featuring 3D trees and camera-facing objects and crowds, something that resulted in nicer scenarios and better immersion. However, as a result there is now a visible gap in terms of graphics and details if you compare some of the first and the latest circuits created for Assetto Corsa.
Last year we made some tests with a new laser-scanning device, testing it at our HQ at Vallelunga race track, where we made our preliminary tests in early 2010 in preparation for the Ferrari Virtual Academy videogame. Since our aim is to offer our fans the best of our skills, know-how and quality, we are glad to tell you that we have started the process of optimizing and improving all our existing circuits, including Vallelunga, Nurburgring GP, Mugello, Magione, Imola, Silverstone, Monza, Spa Francorchamps, as well as the Nordschleife. The upgraded versions of these tracks will be available as a free update with build 1.5, currently in development.
Thank you very much for your great support!

Supersonic fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Feb 8, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GhostDog
Jul 30, 2003

Always see everything.
:siren: New thread much like the old thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3763524

• Locked thread