Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I realized that working a lovely job is a waste of your early 20s, if you can avoid it. This summer, I'd like to take some time off and hike parts of the AT.

I have no illusions about doing a thru-hike. Instead I want to do segments, doing a 1-week trial run, then 2 weeks, 3 weeks, and finally a month. I know I want to do the first segment in Shenandoah, and want to do another segment in Maine, but otherwise am open to suggestions as to where is best to hit up.

I recognize that as an inexperienced hiker who has only camped a few times and done moderate dayhikes, this is a big thing to take on. What guidebooks do I want? What should I be looking for in terms of gear? What should I bring to eat (was thinking some camping food, nuts, and MREs?) What's the best water filter? Any tips for fighting bears? Etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prince Reggie K
Feb 12, 2007

I've been denied all the best Ultra-Sex.
Get out on the closest portions of the AT for some day hikes and meet some hikers. Other people will post better advise, but start with that!

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
Don't over think things too much, its more mental than anything. I didn't have much experience at all before I did through hikes, just casual day hiking and a few over nights, and it wasn't that bad at all. Just do your homework in terms of gear, make sure you have good boots, eat enough calories and its fine.

When I did the JMT, there were two 70 year old ladies who started a day after us and passed us right before we got to the end. We also had 30 year old men in peak physical condition insisting they just couldn't do it halfway through before the hardest parts. Most of its just in your head, you can walk long distances at a reasonable pace with proper nutrition. No big.

Gear: If you're doing through hikes, look for light but appropriate (in terms of capacity, temperature etc.) sleeping bag, pad, backpack and tent. I like trekking poles. Yes they look goofy, but they take stress off your joints and they're great for stream crossings and staircase switchbacks. Shooting in the neighborhood of 35-40 lb packed backpack including food and water isn't bad to start out with. Many people will easily have heavier packs than this and do fine, but the longer the hike the more of a favor you're doing yourself by cutting down. The further below 35 lbs you get fully packed, you start to really feel like you're flying on the trail.

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

Argentina is a nice place to visit, but it's just not worth it for your family or political career.

Also check out the Hiking & Backpacking thread in YLLS for a lot of good general info. Somewhere maybe 3 back in archives there's also an Ask Me from a goon who hiked the AT, and several folks who chimed in while they were doing it including some crazy dude who did a bunch in winter.

Ethelinda Sapsea
Aug 11, 2006

Jesse Eisenberg fighting Michael Cera. It's supposed to be bundles of twigs topped with brillo pads
I through-hiked the AT in 2011 with nearly no backpacking experience and when I was incredibly out of shape. While I wouldn't recommend the latter, the former was no big deal.

Just make sure you're comfortable setting up your gear, read up a little on whiteblaze.net about trail etiquette, and get out there. Bring more water than you think you need and less of everything else.

As far as your specific plans go, hiking in 1-2 week bursts is about the roughest way to do it. I know its the only feasible option for a lot of people, but I found life on the trail got immeasurably easier and felt pretty normal right around the 2 week mark. If you're planning on spending most of the summer hiking anyway, do yourself a favor and do it as continuously as you're able.

As far as locations, my favorite area was the Smokies, followed by the Grayson highlands in Virginia, followed by the white mountains, followed by western Maine. The white mountains probably have my favorite sections of trail but camping is such a pain in the rear end there.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy

Prince Reggie K posted:

Get out on the closest portions of the AT for some day hikes and meet some hikers. Other people will post better advise, but start with that!

Try some day hikes with a pack that has as many supplies as you think you need for the real hike. Also a weekend hike is a great way to realize what you need, what you want, and what you think you need but don't use.

bon ape tit
Aug 7, 2011
I'm pretty much in the same boat as you, OP. I'm from the Lehigh Valley (PA) but plan on a doing a 30 day hike possibility somewhere in NH/ME. I've never been that far northeast before though but I know it's going to be gorgeous. I only recently decided to do this and I've got a lot more research to do (and train/work to get myself in better shape :jerky:).

Hoping that someone with AT experience could chime on some logistical questions I've got:
- What do people do for taking craps? I'm assuming that there will be times where public restrooms/port-o-johns are out of reach. Whats the AT etiquette for going #2? Do people sneak off the trail to find a spot, bring toilet paper and a spade to dig a hole with etc.?

-When hikers set up camp for the night, is it as simple as finding a spot on/nearby the trail to pitch their tents and/or are designated 'campgrounds' a common thing?

-For multiple-week hikers on the trail, how often would you grab a shower? Are public showers a rarity or more commonplace along the northern segment of the trail?

ChrisHansen
Oct 28, 2014

Suck my damn balls.
Lipstick Apathy

bon ape tit posted:

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you, OP. I'm from the Lehigh Valley (PA) but plan on a doing a 30 day hike possibility somewhere in NH/ME. I've never been that far northeast before though but I know it's going to be gorgeous. I only recently decided to do this and I've got a lot more research to do (and train/work to get myself in better shape :jerky:).

Hoping that someone with AT experience could chime on some logistical questions I've got:
- What do people do for taking craps? I'm assuming that there will be times where public restrooms/port-o-johns are out of reach. Whats the AT etiquette for going #2? Do people sneak off the trail to find a spot, bring toilet paper and a spade to dig a hole with etc.?

-When hikers set up camp for the night, is it as simple as finding a spot on/nearby the trail to pitch their tents and/or are designated 'campgrounds' a common thing?

-For multiple-week hikers on the trail, how often would you grab a shower? Are public showers a rarity or more commonplace along the northern segment of the trail?

Every time I went, we were in a large enough group to use a designated camp site.

Pooping usually does consist of leaning on a tree and dropping a log. At any REI, or even dicks, you can find miniature rolls of biodegradable tp. Another thing to look into is biodegradable soap. I used it hiking out west. You can take a bucket shower, or just jump in any body of water to clean up
E: there's also little garden shovel looking things made of plastic for pooping, but I've generally just thrown a handful of leaves our something on top.

Jenny of Oldstones
Jul 24, 2002

Queen of dragonflies
There's a Netflix documentary out now about some folks who hiked the Appalachian Trail. Might be worth checking out. http://www.keithandlindasexcellentadventure.com/p/appalachian-trail.html

Ethelinda Sapsea
Aug 11, 2006

Jesse Eisenberg fighting Michael Cera. It's supposed to be bundles of twigs topped with brillo pads

bon ape tit posted:

1: There are a surprising number of public restrooms, privies and porta potties along the trail. When possible I strongly recommend using them. If you really have to go, get as far off the trail as you can, dig a ditch 6 inches deep (if it's soft soil, you can use the heel of your boot to dig, otherwise you'll need a trowel) and do your business in there. If you don't have time to dig the hole first, do it after then move and bury your waste properly. If you can't get at least 100 feet off the trail, or the ground is too hard to dig, sorry, but you need to pack out your poop. Packing out toilet paper is a point of contention among responsible hikers, but I personally just buried mine. Please don't leave your poop under a small pile of leaves. ALWAYS CARRY TOILET PAPER (and ziplock bags).

2: Setting up camp is dependent on where you're hiking. A lot of state and national parks only allow camping/tenting in designated locations, so know the rules before you set out. This is especially true if you want to have a camp fire; some states have laws against fires (NY, Conn, etc). If there aren't any prohibitions against it, you can tent anywhere, but using established and cleared tent sites is both easier and better for trail sustainability. Maps or guides are a good bet for locating shelters and camp sites.

3. Public showers are pretty rare on the trail. It's one of the main reasons to hitch into towns besides resupply. There are a few in car camping campgrounds. If bathing in rivers or ponds, using soap is frowned upon since you're sitting in a potential drinking water source but if you must use it, carry the biodegradable variety.

If you're doing a month-long hike, you will have to plan at least 3-4 resupply stops. Taking one night at a hostel to grab a real shower, eat a good meal, and sleep on a mattress is also a good idea for a hike of that length.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

"Imagination is not enough. You have to have knowledge too, and an experience of the oddity of life."
Bring a shovel and dig a hole for poop, 6 inches deep. One hundred feet away from water is general recommendation. Its only difficult if you're much past the tree line. Ideally you're not camping on passes or ridges though, so thats not usually an issue. You'll be near trees and soft, pliable ground often enough to bury your poo poo. Pack out your toilet paper and throw it away at resupplies. TP will generally biodegrade fine, its just that raccoons dig it up and its a trail eyesore.

Ice Phisherman
Apr 12, 2007

Swimming upstream
into the sunset

It's pretty fun. I did section hiking in North Carolina, though never the entire thing. My knees and I don't get along.

1. Sometimes you're just going to have to take a zero. Don't do anything, rest up, recuperate. Sometimes you'll be forced to by injury or weather.

2. Be aware of the weather. It's just not something that you're constantly thinking about, but often times you will be the tallest thing on the mountain and not think about the thunder bolt that could hit you at any moment.

3. Bring extra socks. Lots of socks. Thick socks. Always keep dry socks. I'm fond of four pairs.

4. Speaking of feet, they're going to swell up. I once had to take a zero because my feet wouldn't fit into my boots. Later on when I got home I couldn't wear my shoes at work, which thankfully my boss was understandable about.

5. Bring duct tape. It's super useful. I'm a big fan of not taking a roll, but wrapping it around my hiking pole. Great for hot spots and blisters.

6. Vary your food. There have been days where I have been starving and couldn't eat another mouthful of peanuts.

7. loving trail magic. I got a beer on my birthday from a random logger at 10pm while he looked for his dogs. Best beer I ever had. On the flip side, some nice guys bought beer and told me I could have some, and that made the long hike up, up, up, up not really bearable, but helped me do it faster. A bunch of cub scouts threw them down a mountain into a ravine because "beer is bad". So is littering you little jerks.

8. Find people to hike with, or find someone who hikes your speed on the trail. Hike safe, especially if you're new.

9. You're going to make mistakes no matter how much advice you get. Do some section hiking and just make them in a fun and reasonably controlled environment.

10. If you ever can, go to Max Patch, North Carolina when the sky is clear. It is in my opinion one of the most gorgeous places on the face of the planet.

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

Thick socks is terrible advice and a good sign that your shoes don't fit properly. I couldn't imagine how wet and miserable you'd get with like thick rear end wool socks or something on that trail. What are you changing those three times a day or just going so slow that you don't sweat? You want light and synthetic and quick drying.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

You've never done distance in wool socks before, have you? They're fine. More comfortable than anything synthetic, and they don't stop keeping your feet warm if they get wet.

Yiggy
Sep 12, 2004

Wool socks with liner socks, all the way. No blisters.

Ethelinda Sapsea
Aug 11, 2006

I too recommend a thin liner sock (also in either nylon or wool). Thick or thin outer socks are personal preference; nothing wrong with either, just stay away from cotton.

Sanzio037
Dec 9, 2013
I read an article about some older gentleman that takes groups the distance. I though it was around 2 months or something. You just carry a day pack and every night a vehicle meets with the food and what-not. I know some hard core guys may frown upon this, but not everyone is hard core. It's crossed my mind, but my employer may have a problem with it. I'd be better off doing the PTC, I've done portions of it already.

On the sock subject, I cant have wool directly on my foot. I use a Wright Sock that is a micro knit against my foot. The wool tends to irritate after long hikes once my foot sweats, the micro knit doesn't seem to dig in and gives me no problems. If I need more cushion or warmth, then I'll just put a thin wool sock over it.

Cometa Rossa
Oct 23, 2008

I would crawl ass-naked over a sea of broken glass just to kiss a dick
Here's the old Ask/Tell thread, lots of info and it's a great read.

Transmogrifier
Dec 10, 2004

Systems at max!

Lipstick Apathy

Cometa Rossa posted:

Here's the old Ask/Tell thread, lots of info and it's a great read.

Thanks for this. It is a great read, but it's a shame the OP's blog is no longer up.

I met a guy a few years ago who hiked the AT, which is how I heard about it (I lived out west my whole life and hiking was not a part of my hobbies), and I was particularly interested in the idea of doing it. Completely forgot about it until this thread popped up and now I've had a renewed interest for a few weeks. I like nature but I never really got into doing things like camping or hiking as much as I would have liked so I'm planning to pick that back up this year. Got a book on local trails so I can begin getting into shape and breaking in boots and all that stuff. Not aiming to do anything this year, or hell even the next, though it would be nice. I'm in Michigan but maybe I can still do a few segments in the meantime. I'm really excited.

So, thank you, too, OP, for posting this thread because you've given me a long term goal. :3: Seriously man, thanks, and I really hope you can do it too.

Smiling Mandrill
Jan 19, 2015

Did the trail this winter with a buddy. First time doing the AT. It was fun, the place defiantly has its own culture going for it. The hiking isn't bad if you are someone who hikes regular. It would have been a breeze to hike in summer. Winter was a decent challenge with the heavy packs because of extra gear, and the ice and snow. Pros were that once we were past October we barley saw anyone else. Don't know how much I'd enjoy a summer hike on the AT locals say it gets pretty crowded. Cons were that a lot of the seasonal shuttles, lodges, and hostels were closed down. The worst part was trying to get rides into town to resupply. Not that I can blame anyone for not picking up to full grown men trying to hitchhike.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

If you're in southwestern VA, the trail passes just outside of Catawba.

There is an amazing home-style restaurant there called The Homeplace. It is one of my favorite restaurants, anywhere.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/home-place-restaurant-catawba

There's always a wait, though, so keep that in mind.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
It's awesome and really fun. Bring a hammock instead of a tent.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Ice Phisherman posted:

10. If you ever can, go to Max Patch, North Carolina when the sky is clear. It is in my opinion one of the most gorgeous places on the face of the planet.

I stayed at a cabin a few miles away from Max Patch Bald a couple weeks ago and we did some hiking while we were there...the view is incredible, even during the day. We only stargazed back at the cabin but I can only imagine what it would look like on the trail itself at night.

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013
My folks have old folk friends who hike a little bit every time. Park a car at whatever next spot up is and drive back and hike to there, etc. That sounds super sweet to me. I wouldn't survive a full run.

thewireguy
Jul 2, 2013
Oh yeah, reading up... Socks. Lots of socks. You can wear the same pants/shorts/shirt day after day, but wet socks are hell on earth. I don't know about shoes. Those take up space and are hard to dry.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Alpenglow posted:

Argentina is a nice place to visit, but it's just not worth it for your family or political career.

• Locked thread